Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club was the xG laughing stock last season, not only on here but in the wider footballing community.

Nick Amnes on Football Weekly said 'last season i spent 8-9 games just writing identical match reports, and it seems like they are back'.

Nobody wants Oligarch and Hove Albion.
Nobody wants £100's of millions jizzed up a wall on multiple manager vanity projects.

But Shirley we're allowed to say 'hang on a minute' as history repeats itself while the club uses it's 'meager rations' everywhere but putting the bleeding ball into the back of the freakin net, (or reducing debt) without being belittled, misquoted and patronised.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The club was the xG laughing stock last season, not only on here but in the wider footballing community.

Nick Amnes on Football Weekly said 'last season i spent 8-9 games just writing identical match reports, and it seems like they are back'.

Nobody wants Oligarch and Hove Albion.
Nobody wants £100's of millions jizzed up a wall on multiple manager vanity projects.

But Shirley we're allowed to say 'hang on a minute' as history repeats itself while the club uses it's 'meager rations' everywhere but putting the bleeding ball into the back of the freakin net, (or reducing debt) without being belittled, misquoted and patronised.

But we are not repeating ourselves. Last season we were creating chances and not scoring, this season we are not creating chances and not scoring.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Please accept that not everyone is so ultra positive as you.

My take, but correct me about you if I'm wrong, is that the $$$$$$$ EPL has created a new easily pleased modern fan, who're able to accept months of not winning and barely scoring. Rationalising with, variously:

- Wow, I can't quite believe Thierry Henry's in the Amex Box (someone posted that here).

- Wow, I can't quite believe that Eden Hazard's at the Amex.

- Wow, isn't it incredible to be part of the greatest show on earth, seen in 200 countries.

- I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Following Brighton and football in general since the mid-70's, few talked in those terms (obviously slot in older names) in decades past.

People went to the Goldstone or Anfield to see their heroes win games of football, score. Leaving on cloud 9 with a win, miserable about a defeat. The rollercoaster.

I stand by this. Many people now are completely fine post match with seeing their beloved Albion draw and lose for months. Possibly:

1. Coke or alcohol smashed, there for the craic, the Albion not a big thing to them; or
2. Part of the gentrification of the sport in this country, having this new different mindset. They don't feel the pain that the legions on the old terraces did.

What do you mean content with the modern game? In our previous 100 odd years we managed the top flight once for 4 seasons and stunk the place out for all but 1. The rest of our history we’ve got no where near this level.

The passed 4.5 seasons has seen us beat more of the top teams than ever before in our history. 5 consecutive seasons in the top division, likely to be 6. Now 15 years without a relegation, the longest period the club has had since WWII.

Some seem to forget the dreadful spells, the relegations, the survival battles lower down the divisions, and this, and now this period is suddenly a newly pleased modern fan - are you Steve Rogers just thawed out of the ice, or is it just at a certain age we realise in football, as in life, is this it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thread prob needs renaming now. It's morphed into a more wide-ranging Albion Half Season State Of The Nation discussion, with all of the existential angst that that entails

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What do you mean content with the modern game? In our previous 100 odd years we managed the top flight once for 4 seasons and stunk the place out for all but 1. The rest of our history we’ve got no where near this level.

The passed 4.5 seasons has seen us beat more of the top teams than ever before in our history. 5 consecutive seasons in the top division, likely to be 6. Now 15 years without a relegation, the longest period the club has had since WWII.

Some seem to forget the dreadful spells, the relegations, the survival battles lower down the divisions, and this, and now this period is suddenly a newly pleased modern fan - are you Steve Rogers just thawed out of the ice, or is it just at a certain age we realise in football, as in life, is this it?

Not at all, all remembered.

Brighton went through huge lows (pre Archer even), low crowds. Fans en masse gutted by defeats, managers came and went. Plus the promotions, the highs.

But all the Albion or football people I knew at school, at work, family, at clients .... didn't stay cheery as the months rolled by with "oh well, living the dream, as least Bryan Robson or Alan Sunderland was in the stadium". There were banners calling for the head of Sizen and Bedson for example.

People went to the Goldstone simply to see a football match, hoping for a win. Perhaps also to consume some Capstans and swig Scotch from a canteen with a mate.

What's changed now to assuage defeats? The FanZone video and high decibels soundtrack, the concourses, staring at the wonderful steel and glass stadium, the lovely pies, the club shop? EPL marketing on steroids.

Imho most people still go simply to see goals and hopefully a win.

When that's such a rare event over 4.5 seasons, it's completely understandable that people lose their verve, get pissed off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Brighton went through huge lows (pre Archer even), low crowds. Fans en masse gutted by defeats, managers came and went. Plus the promotions, the highs.

But all the Albion or football people I knew at school, at work, family, at clients .... didn't stay cheery as the months rolled by with "oh well, living the dream, as least Bryan Robson or Alan Sunderland was in the stadium". There were banners calling for the head of Sizen and Bedson for example.

People went to the Goldstone simply to see a football match, hoping for a win. Perhaps also to consume some Capstans and swig Scotch from a canteen with a mate.

What's changed now to assuage defeats? The FanZone video and high decibels soundtrack, the concourses, staring at the wonderful steel and glass stadium, the lovely pies, the club shop? EPL marketing on steroids.

When that's such a rare event over 4.5 seasons, it's completely understandable that people lose their verve, get pissed off.

I’m not saying people are happy or content, I think they’re less inclined to direct their anger at the typical suspects you mentioned namely the manager, and owner/board.

I don’t think there is contentment, but I think enough people can see a manager who is trying to progress the side, and an owner trying to run the club sustainably - therefore the anger you reference doesn’t have an outlet, some blame recruitment, some investment, some the manager, some the players. Some of us I suppose are prepared to be a bit more patient, others not so.

I’m not sure Id want to be doing a Fulham/Norwich having the highs of promotion followed by the despair of relegation - there are probably plenty of fans looking at Brighton with envious eyes on what stability can bring.

Fans have limited outlet for their ire, and generally they will blame the manager, regardless of whether that is deserved or not.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Where we are presently is that promotion to the Premier League is the equivalent of using all your best lines in pulling a stunner way out of your league at Sherry's, the Pink Coconut or the Honey Club and taking them back to your place (or theirs) only to find the sex is a bit mundane...BUT they are a stunner and made up for it...sort of.

After a while with them you realise that it's not going to get any better in the sack and your future is going to be little different and that's a depressing thought.

At the same time your mates who have not punching above their weight are envious because you have this attractive partner who everyone else likes seeing.

You've now realised you would rather be dumped but don't want to admit it publicly and can go back to the clubs and try your luck again, knowing you might have more success, even perhaps get offered a rusty trombone on a first date, but the chances of all your dreams coming true are remote.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No I'm asking how many fans said we should sign him before he went to Everton.
Not sure on here In my little group we thought he would been a good signing obviously we didn’t know he would of hit the form he has although for some pace and energy we seem to lack it seemed like a reasonable attacking signing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Absolutely spot on. Some great posts by you on this thread.

No doubt the Swede will be along shortly to accuse you of being ungrateful to Uncle Tony though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here