Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, this. Seems odd to say but we are missing those goals that used to come from the centre backs as much as anything. Fine margins and all that. I accept it is not possible until Dunk returns though because for all Dan Burn’s good qualities unfortunately he will never score a goal.

Absolutely. Duffy(1), Dunk(0) and Webster(1) have 2 goals between them all season. It wasn't so long ago Dunk was our top scorer for the season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The club has a development model, find young players and either give them a pathway to the first team or aim to sell at a profit. The alternative is to spend £40m on a guaranteed goalscoring machine in the Premier League such as Halle, Wesley, Joelinton etc and break the wage structure in the process, which TB won't do. If you think he is wrong in that suggest you contact Paul Barber and explain why paying someone untried £70k a week is the solution.

Bissouma was poor in his first couple of seasons, Mwemu's finishing was gash against Wolves, but we have seen similar from other players at both the Albion and other clubs.
Out of interest why do you only list strikers that haven’t been a success for the net spend of 30-40m :shrug:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This point needs to be the new banner at the top of NSC. It needs ramming home to many posters every single day. They need to stop converting an admirable statement of ambition into a negative.

If he had said "given our budget we will be realistically be bottom six for the remainder of our time in the Premier League until relegated" they would have criticised him for lack of ambition.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Out of interest why do you only list strikers that haven’t been a success for the net spend of 30-40m :shrug:

Because the 'solution' put forward by many is that all we have to do is spend money and problem is solved. I was trying to demonstrate that this is not necessarily the case.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Yeah, this. Seems odd to say but we are missing those goals that used to come from the centre backs as much as anything. Fine margins and all that. I accept it is not possible until Dunk returns though because for all Dan Burn’s good qualities unfortunately he will never score a goal with his head.

Edited for you and awaits multiple clips to prove me wrong :lolol:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It had a recruitment budget, not striker money.

1: The strategy is to sign young players for development, that has never changed. The only way the Albion can make an impact in this division is to take such an approach IMO, the alternative is to gamble.
2: Mwemu was signed as a long term replacement for Bissouma and to get more goals from midfield.
3: We signed a left back

Signing strikers is easy, (Locadia, Andone, Tau, Zequiri etc). Signing the right one less so.

Exactly, although is it not the young South American that's onload,( forget his name ) the Biss replacement, I hope so because from what I have seen of Mwepbu not overly convinced.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has said that top ten is an objective, it's not the same as a promise.

I think you’ll find some expected this season and are not happy it’s slipping away

A0DDE0C2-8A27-4DD6-91F7-EB2BE9416D15.jpeg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hoddle was describing Mweapon's dreadful attempt to score. He didn't mean his overall play (which had been very good).

It is hard to have a sensible conversation about the state of our club when people can't get simple facts correct.

That said, I woke up this morning acually thinking that if Potter were sacked now, would I care? Depends who the replacement is, I guess.

And any talk of this after 5 games would gave been greeted with the derision it probably still deserves.

Yep, one comment about one shot that looked like he had a wooden leg is now Mwepu is shit and Glenn is right he plays like he has two wooden legs ALL THE TIME :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We’re 100% bottom 6 material on (wages) budget, finish anything above that and we’re punching above our weight
We have ambitions, but these will take years to fulfil as it’s really dependent on the academy producing the goods. Still early days in real terms on that front but the signs are good. No-one suggested top 10 was an aim this season
Like anyone hiring multiple people, we’ve ****ed up a few times. It happens :shrug: Just a couple of our loanees making the first team will be a success
Potter is aligned to Tony’s long term strategy and philosophy - we can’t have a manager that isn’t. Who replaces him ?
We’re in a poor run of form for sure (but not quite disastrous yet)……at some point we’ll spring out of it. Injuries and suspensions are crucifying us atm
Grabbing a point at Palace, West Ham and Saints, and 3 at Burnley was fantastic to witness:D

Have to take the lows with the highs. Been a mostly shit couple of months and our home form is particularly grim. Happy to trust the guys in charge to get it sorted for now……because the alternatives really aren’t that obvious (or realistic)

I'm in agreement. I also think that we're going to carry on having these kind of debates while we remain in the PL. Unless we get bought out by an oligarch or petro-state, we'll remain in the broader predicament. I don't want us to be bought out by an oligarch or petro-state, and would be delighted if Bloom remains where he is for decades. I like his strategy of trying to eke out more than the obvious, and to beat the system. The system, as you indicate, is that the best metric for determining league position is player wages. We're in the bottom six or so as you say for that, and I don't really see that changing. Decent posters and thoughtful fans are a bit bored of treading water, but that's what the PL is for 'teams like Brighton'. It's that or the excitement of the brilliant, competitive Championship or, potentially, dipping lower.
I've got different expectations and horizons for the club than many fans. If we can show slow, steady, incremental improvement and the academy/young emerging talent recruitment strategy can unearth a few (further) gems, I'm more than happy with how things are.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I assume there's maybe 6 to 8 other current Prem clubs having exactly the same conversations about their manager, transfer dealings, goal scoring issues etc..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm in agreement. I also think that we're going to carry on having these kind of debates while we remain in the PL. Unless we get bought out by an oligarch or petro-state, we'll remain in the broader predicament. I don't want us to be bought out by an oligarch or petro-state, and would be delighted if Bloom remains where he is for decades. I like his strategy of trying to eke out more than the obvious, and to beat the system. The system, as you indicate, is that the best metric for determining league position is player wages. We're in the bottom six or so as you say for that, and I don't really see that changing. Decent posters and thoughtful fans are a bit bored of treading water, but that's what the PL is for 'teams like Brighton'. It's that or the excitement of the brilliant, competitive Championship or, potentially, dipping lower.
I've got different expectations and horizons for the club than many fans. If we can show slow, steady, incremental improvement and the academy/young emerging talent recruitment strategy can unearth a few (further) gems, I'm more than happy with how things are.

I'm not sure we'll ever square the circle of EPL Top Ten ambitions and Bottom Six budget, sadly. How long do you think we'll hang on to Sanchez? How long will any future academy wonderkid stick around with agents whispering in his ear that he can earn him multiple times the payday that TB's wage structure allows for. And who could blame them? Which of us wouldn't do the same? It's a short career and you're a long time retired. Reckon we'll have to gracefully step away from the top table sooner rather than later without a fresh injection of funds from TB or elsewhere. Wouldn't be the end of world for us time-servers tho. No disgrace whatsoever in being a well-run family club that knows its place

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

But if we became Brunei and Hove Albion we could ThEN SiNG A GuarenTEED GoALS StriKER and WiN things, just look at Everton after Moshiri bought them in 2016 and spent £500m on new players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sarcasm aside, I’m not trying to underplay the importance of those “three small incidentals” , quite the opposite in fact, people are hugely frustrated by it all and I think it’s completely warranted, however, when the stats are there (XG) to highlight what actually happened then it suggests to me that people are only seeing the bad in everything, which again I can completely understand. For some reason we consider every chance the opposition have as a ‘must score’ scenario whereas we’re thoroughly dismissive of any chances we create. I get it, lots of us are in a negative mind frame at the moment, there’s a crap tonne of stuff going on in the world at the moment and for many/most of us the Albion should be our release from it all, but the action on the pitch simply isn’t giving the desired results and I think there’s more than an element of people taking it out on the club, some of which does seem justified.

Nothing personal about you.

But if I never see or hear the term xG for the rest of my days ....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But if we became Brunei and Hove Albion we could ThEN SiNG A GuarenTEED GoALS StriKER and WiN things, just look at Everton after Moshiri bought them in 2016 and spent £500m on new players.

I was hoping we'd become Brighton and Hove Arabia from the Saudi. We could then ignore not only that our club and fandom backs murderers, but we could also start propagandising for evading net zero for as long as possible. The possibilities are endless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here