Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given the Albion lost £70m in 2020 and a huge sum too in 2021, where is the money coming from for this striker?

As I keep replying but a response is never forthcoming.

How about from:-

The £20m+ spent on children who might never make the first team.
&
The £20m spent on yet another midfield who's only difference is he apparently has "wooden legs".

You can't say there's no money when £56m ish was spent in the summer and only £16m of that holds a regular first XI place.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

&
The £20m spent on yet another midfield who's only difference is he apparently has "wooden legs".

You can't say there's no money when £56m ish was spent in the summer and only £16m of that holds a regular first XI place.

The club has a development model, find young players and either give them a pathway to the first team or aim to sell at a profit. The alternative is to spend £40m on a guaranteed goalscoring machine in the Premier League such as Halle, Wesley, Joelinton etc and break the wage structure in the process, which TB won't do. If you think he is wrong in that suggest you contact Paul Barber and explain why paying someone untried £70k a week is the solution.

Bissouma was poor in his first couple of seasons, Mwemu's finishing was gash against Wolves, but we have seen similar from other players at both the Albion and other clubs.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

&

Fingers probably remain burnt after the Locadia and AJ debacles where big money was wasted on hunches.
We’ve now gone to the other extreme, where we are holding out for the kind of favourable deal that may not exist.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I want my cake, and obviously eat it!

I'm not, never have been and hopefully never will be 'Potter Out'.

I get 'it', I get the process, I get the difficulties surrounding money and the Premier League.

My reflective self thinks it'll all be ok in the end, and if it isn't ok then it's not the end.

As [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] saying there's a lot of steam being let off, but also it's worth requoting [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]

14 goals all season.

Haven’t won in 3 months.

Played basket-cases Norwich, Newcastle and Villa into form.

Living the dream.

That generates a lot of steam!

Most of us are supporters, we go to games, we kick every ball, we laughed, we cry, we buy the t-shirt.
We go because of passion, commitment, habit, ritual.
Many of us have echos from the past with us at Albion games.
We want to be those echos in the future.

All emotional stuff.

But we also go to escape and be entertained.

All of the above only gets us through so much masochism.
GPott is lucky we weren't sitting through last season as well.

He's nearly halfway through his third season and yet when like now it goes wrong, the whole process from pre-match to post match follows an indentical path, indentical, every single beat is the same.

If pointing that out makes my views an impossibly large list of poor takes, then I'd hate to be 'right'
What you have posted here is on point, and echoes what I was talking about in an earlier post, but it’s completely different to the previous commentary you made which I pigeonholed with your bad takes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swansman sometimes makes some very good points.
His anti-bloom thing isn’t one of them.
He’s probably drunk or bored.
Possibly both.

I wonder who he supported before Potter? Has he obsessed over a string of teams?
I became an Albion fan aged nine. I don’t think I could ditch them even if I wanted to.

..?

Edit: Ah you mean that I said some are anti-Bloom. Well, that is the case.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club has a development model, find young players and either give them a pathway to the first team or aim to sell at a profit. The alternative is to spend £40m on a guaranteed goalscoring machine in the Premier League such as Halle, Wesley, Joelinton etc and break the wage structure in the process, which TB won't do. If you think he is wrong in that suggest you contact Paul Barber and explain why paying someone untried £70k a week is the solution.

Bissouma was poor in his first couple of seasons, Mwemu's finishing was gash against Wolves, but we have seen similar from other players at both the Albion and other clubs.

My post earlier explains my position re the club's financial situation.

But my point still stands.

You can't write the club is in debt where does the money come from?

When 4 months earlier it spent over £55m.

Ive replied where the money comes from and you come back with hackneyed old Joelynton and 'tell Paul if you're so clever'.

Had the club said 'hey this Arsenal money needs to pay down debt'.
I'm pretty sure everyone would understand.

But that didn't happen, it had striker money.
It has a global recruitment team.
It spent the money on kids, another midfielder and a quality left back.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Just a little bit of context here (and yes, I totally get and share a lot of the frustration being shared on here) -

See https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/17/thomas-tuchel-troubled-by-chelsea-results-failing-to-match-teams-performances - a decent article, in my view, discussing Chelsea's recent performance.

A very similar story to ours in many ways, but just magnified - slipped from 1st to 3rd with a series of unconvincing performances, no goals being scored, players out injured, frustrations all round.

It's just that the numbers are much bigger - they have a £62m striker who has only scored 2 goals this season, as just one example.

Dons tin hat and asbestos suit, awaits flaming from those who can not see any kind of comparisons.....

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Agreed but there are quite a few on here who see not improving year on year as failure and worthy of some sort of change. How many clubs actually improve year on year though?

As a club I think we are progressing year on year, it’s just the first team that has stalled and yes it’s frustrating that most see why, finding those pieces of the jigsaw is proving a big challenge.

Stalled [emoji23]been pretty much the same for nearly five seasons. And again Bloom sacked Hughton Why? Progression??
It’s bloom that says top ten finish not the fans he and he slo e has created this split and is not top ten wanting progression .. never mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s not bad luck it’s a lack of quality. Ulloa/Murray in their prime would be scoring regularly this season. When Hoddle said Mwepu plays like he has wooden legs that just about sums up last summers recruitment shambles.

Hoddle was describing Mweapon's dreadful attempt to score. He didn't mean his overall play (which had been very good).

It is hard to have a sensible conversation about the state of our club when people can't get simple facts correct.

That said, I woke up this morning acually thinking that if Potter were sacked now, would I care? Depends who the replacement is, I guess.

And any talk of this after 5 games would gave been greeted with the derision it probably still deserves.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stalled [emoji23]been pretty much the same for nearly five seasons. And again Bloom sacked Hughton Why? Progression??
It’s bloom that says top ten finish not the fans he and he slo e has created this split and is not top ten wanting progression .. never mind

Indeed. We get into the premier league and don't then progress into the Europa league, then the champions' league, winning the league cup and FA cup before winning the league itself in the fifth season. ****ing disgrace. Sack the board!

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

&

We had money for a striker, we tried to sign Nunez and that mate of Mac Allister who signed for Fiorentina, who knows which others that never made the rumour mills. Just because we have the need for a striker doesn't mean we forget about all other areas of recruitment though, that would be even more catastrophic long term than not signing a striker ever would be. Equally signing a striker that breaks the clubs wage structure when there are no guarantees of success would be just as bad long term. We don't want to be like Pompey do we?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
..?

Edit: Ah you mean that I said some are anti-Bloom. Well, that is the case.

A few frustrated people on a website which is not representative of the fan base as a whole?
Not exactly Ashley and the Geordies.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We all know the problem we lack goals we need to add 10-15 goals to this side and we would shoot up the table and start getting the results our dominance in every part of the pitch but the final third deserves.

We all know it, the club knows it and until addressed we will maintain in this Groundhog Day situation and all the frustration that brings.

How do we solve it? Well I am not in the camp of some silver bullet signing that will score the required goals as that is both risky and costly which are both approaches our club does not do. Another Maupay level striker would be fine then some wide or midfielder players whose main strength is attacking and is creative enough to get goals from other areas of pitch. Finally sort our set pieces out Dunk had 5 goals last season he has zero so far and that has a lot to do with the abysmal set pieces we have seen.

So Maupay type addition. 5-6 goals
Midfielder/wide player who can score or create 3-4 goals
Better set pieces 4-5 goals

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But that didn't happen, it had striker money.
It has a global recruitment team.
It spent the money on kids, another midfielder and a quality left back.

It had a recruitment budget, not striker money.

1: The strategy is to sign young players for development, that has never changed. The only way the Albion can make an impact in this division is to take such an approach IMO, the alternative is to gamble.
2: Mwemu was signed as a long term replacement for Bissouma and to get more goals from midfield.
3: We signed a left back

Signing strikers is easy, (Locadia, Andone, Tau, Zequiri etc). Signing the right one less so.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

&

So who should we* have spent £40 million on to guarantee us goals. There are plenty of examples of flops that haven't done the deed, even some big name expensive ones.

Unless you intended us to break all wage and transfer records for our club I can only see a couple of players in the top scoring list with more goals than our own Neal Maupay, so who is this illusive big hitter?

To be honest, our problem isn't that 20 goal a season striker but more that the rest of the team isn't doing it's bit and chipping in with a few goals - that is what we are missing, some goals from midfield and a few from defence, not another "banjo" striker to lay all the blame on...!

* when I say we, I really mean Tony Bloom, but it is very easy spending someone else's money, when it doesn't directly come out of your own pocket...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He has said that top ten is an objective, it's not the same as a promise.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

&

But if one or two of those children do, and become the next Sanchez or White it will be an excellent investment. And in 2-3 years time we'll be able to tell whether the player 'with wooden legs' is a good investment the way Bissouma and Trossard proved to be after they settled in. And we'll also know whether loaning out Swiss Andi and Sima will turn them into the next Harry Kane.

I was really disappointed when Swiss Andi went on loan and certainly thought he could contribute here, but it may well be part of a longer term plan.

We have issues currently, and it's incredibly frustrating, but no reason to reverse TB's plan of the last 10+ years :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So who should we* have spent £40 million on to guarantee us goals. There are plenty of examples of flops that haven't done the deed, even some big name expensive ones.

Unless you intended us to break all wage and transfer records for our club I can only see a couple of players in the top scoring list with more goals than our own Neal Maupay, so who is this illusive big hitter?

To be honest, our problem isn't that 20 goal a season striker but more that the rest of the team isn't doing it's bit and chipping in with a few goals - that is what we are missing, some goals from midfield and a few from defence, not another "banjo" striker to lay all the blame on...!

* when I say we, I really mean Tony Bloom, but it is very easy spending someone else's money, when it doesn't directly come out of your own pocket...

Yeah, this. Seems odd to say but we are missing those goals that used to come from the centre backs as much as anything. Fine margins and all that. I accept it is not possible until Dunk returns though because for all Dan Burn’s good qualities unfortunately he will never score a goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here