Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There’s something I’m not getting here - we’ve got to sack the manager of the best team we’ve ever had?

I'm not sure that's the message.

Just get some fun back, however fleeting, as you highlighted in the Brum thread.

Home fans have been on a poor diet for some time....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure that's the message.

Just get some fun back, however fleeting, as you highlighted in the Brum thread.

Home fans have been on a poor diet for some time....

A diet that worse than the one which got the previous manager sacked.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
A diet that worse than the one which got the previous manager sacked.

Nowhere near, we might not be winning games, but we are trying to win them, things just aren't clicking. Even the Wolves game we missed two sitters, it's almost like we are cursed in front of goal. The run that saw Hughton sacked was horrible, I walked out of The Amex after the Bournemouth and Cardiff games feeling like relegation was nothing but an inevitability.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It’s been said many times but it isn’t that easy to persuade a top quality striker to sign. They are rare and have their pick of employers. This is real life, not fantasy football or PlayStation. If people could understand these constraints they would lower their expectations a little. Neither GP nor Tony are doing a lot wrong. They are managing a PL football club/business and simply constantly repeating that we need to sign a top striker won’t make it happen.

I’m certainly not living in the we’re going to spend 40 million on one striker world... obviously that’s just not our level. I am however a big advocate of retaining options: Swiss Andy and the 10 million Stoke enigma... ok, maybe they’d never get near double figures BUT they might offer something different here and there... like an equaliser against Wolves or a winner against Newcastle ...

That’s what was needed, not sleepwalking into a season wholly reliant on Maupay, ‘ill beck’ and the wee man.

Clearly something major backfired, hence we’ve been reduced to seriously considering big Jurgs as a PL level attacker. Christ it’s the pits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nowhere near, we might not be winning games, but we are trying to win them, things just aren't clicking. Even the Wolves game we missed two sitters, it's almost like we are cursed in front of goal. The run that saw Hughton sacked was horrible, I walked out of The Amex after the Bournemouth and Cardiff games feeling like relegation was nothing but an inevitability.

Sure, I'm quite probably suffering from recency bias.
But feck me we've seen so many games recently that can be filed under 'wouldn't have scored if still there now'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There’s something I’m not getting here - we’ve got to sack the manager of the best team we’ve ever had?

Statistically, the best team we’ve ever had were Mike Bailey’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You know things aren’t right when buying a new strip (full kit wanker style) for your 8 year old costs about £80. We’re pretty much priced out of things now, it’s unaffordable for us as a family.

Music, sweet music. Never lets me down.

I can’t really associate to PL ballers who get arrested on nights out and earn more money in week than I do in two - three years. It’s utterly obscene.

Given the money involved, I’d say more then ever we ‘small’ people do deserve to be entertained, you know just a little bit of excitement in this dreary awful covid infested world.

Maybe a good old fashioned relegation is what we need? We probably deserve it tbh.

How the table’s have turned on nsc. I remember about three years ago on a thread about the cost for families of going to EPL football, I mentioned how I felt for the less well off who were lifetime supporters of EPL clubs. How the cost had risen way above general inflation over say 30 years. Arsenal started all this, the gentrification of the game, others have kind of followed. Everyone seems to have to play the game because very average players come with a salary demand of £2.5m per year. Think about that number.

I faced a tide of defenders of the EPL. “Tickets are still cheaper than seeing a West End Show” was a typical argument. I love London shows, they’re special events. Bearing no relation to 19 or 23 games, including some dire football.

I’m lucky, I’m in a decent paid profession, I can afford it.

That doesn’t stop me caring about Albion or other supporters who are squeezed for cash.

I think more folk round here these days care too.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There's a huge difference between spending £22m on 3 (three) strikers and buying a striker who has the pedigree to score Premier League goals.

Don't even bother to throw the tired hackneyed old excuse that is Joelynton back at me.

In the summer the club spent Joelynton money on kids who may never play for the first team and an unneeded midfielder described as having wooden legs.
While also slapping it own recruitment back at any and all available opportunities.

So who is this pedigree striker, and I didn't mention Joelyton

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Don't think changing Manager would change fortunes. The points haul to date this season is decent.

What does need to change is the readiness and willingness to take trouble off other Clubs hands at great expense. By that I mean the purchase of injury prone players thinking that those injury woes will change once those players get some " sea air " when they arrive in Brighton.

Lallana and the former Arsenal striker have looked productive when they play to some degree but their injury record is still awful. The Club needs to stop taking chances on players like that because when they play it's productive in picking up points but there are too many games they don't play and during those periods points seem harder to come by.

So in short. Stop the willingness to take on the woes of other Clubs by taking trouble off their hands.

Harry Redknap is like that. He used to think he was the one who could reform rebellious players.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
You can disagree all you want but you’re wrong and your whole post shows just how little you know about Brighton, our fan base, our history and Tony Bloom for that matter.

Show us examples of plenty of people saying they’d take a new owner, and I don’t mean just one or two posts on here, which is a tiny percentage of our overall support, which would have been said in the heat of a moment.

We were grateful to Dick Knight for bringing us back to Brighton, for giving us the glory of back to back championships but that didn’t mean we couldn’t voice our disapproval of how rubbish we were under Martin Hinselwood or being disappointed with how Micky Adams second spell in charge went.

It’s the same now, people are annoyed at GP and Tony Bloom because we care, we care in a way that someone living hundreds of miles away and wouldn’t have been able to point to Brighton on a map before May 2019 could never ever understand.

This is our club, it will be long after Potter is in another job, we will still be annoyed at the next manager and the one after that, and the one after that too, but that is our right as football fans because we care and love our club. There isn’t a Brighton fan around who doesn’t love Tony Bloom for what he’s done for this club, we may not always agree with his decisions, some of us may get angry and wish he’d splash a ton of money on a new striker, but those frustrations are born from our love of the club and the passion and the frustration that comes from being a football fan.

I’d compare it to marriage but with football there is no divorce. It’s is for life.

I like Swansmen as a poster and makes some good points on other threads. I just wish he would f%ck off on commenting on anything before Potter arrived.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
You can disagree all you want but you’re wrong and your whole post shows just how little you know about Brighton, our fan base, our history and Tony Bloom for that matter.

Show us examples of plenty of people saying they’d take a new owner, and I don’t mean just one or two posts on here, which is a tiny percentage of our overall support, which would have been said in the heat of a moment.

We were grateful to Dick Knight for bringing us back to Brighton, for giving us the glory of back to back championships but that didn’t mean we couldn’t voice our disapproval of how rubbish we were under Martin Hinselwood or being disappointed with how Micky Adams second spell in charge went.

It’s the same now, people are annoyed at GP and Tony Bloom because we care, we care in a way that someone living hundreds of miles away and wouldn’t have been able to point to Brighton on a map before May 2019 could never ever understand.

This is our club, it will be long after Potter is in another job, we will still be annoyed at the next manager and the one after that, and the one after that too, but that is our right as football fans because we care and love our club. There isn’t a Brighton fan around who doesn’t love Tony Bloom for what he’s done for this club, we may not always agree with his decisions, some of us may get angry and wish he’d splash a ton of money on a new striker, but those frustrations are born from our love of the club and the passion and the frustration that comes from being a football fan.

I’d compare it to marriage but with football there is no divorce. It’s is for life.

Great post. Personally I take no notice of the Swedish Buffon’s posts. He knows nothing about being a BHA fan.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

It was the Newcastle game for me.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
How the table’s have turned on nsc. I remember about three years ago on a thread about the cost for families of going to EPL football, I mentioned how I felt for the less well off who were lifetime supporters of EPL clubs. How the cost had risen way above general inflation over say 30 years. Arsenal started all this, the gentrification of the game, others have kind of followed. Everyone seems to have to play the game because very average players come with a salary demand of £2.5m per year. Think about that number.

I faced a tide of defenders of the EPL. “Tickets are still cheaper than seeing a West End Show” was a typical argument. I love London shows, they’re special events. Bearing no relation to 19 or 23 games, including some dire football.

I’m lucky, I’m in a decent paid profession, I can afford it.

That doesn’t stop me caring about Albion or other supporters who are squeezed for cash.

I think more folk round here these days care too.

Top post, as ever :)

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
As a Canucks fan, I didn't think Green was the issue, but since they fired him the Canucks are unbeaten. 6 in a row now. Sometimes you got to shake things up when they're stagnate

I felt much worse about Potter 12 months ago than I do now. I’ll never buy into the ludicrous hype about his style of football but I understand why plenty want to big up their club using him as proxy, fair play. He’s obviously doing enough to keep his job, 34 pages of this thread is letting off steam and that’s ok too

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s not bad luck it’s a lack of quality. Ulloa/Murray in their prime would be scoring regularly this season. When Hoddle said Mwepu plays like he has wooden legs that just about sums up last summers recruitment shambles.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
It’s not bad luck it’s a lack of quality.

This.

Watching Liverpool recently, and yes I know they're world-class, but better teams than us have experts in their positions. You know what they're going to do but they're effing difficult to stop because even if a team stops them doing 'this', they will then do 'that'. Because simply their individual players are brilliant. Watching us, you know what we're going to do... and that's it.

Our individual excellence is at the back, a bit in midfield, and without Welbeck, nothing up top. Be honest, which other PL teams would choose to have any of our attackers in their squads? With GP and this squad, we had an unbelievable start to the season, and with GP and this squad we have hit a bit of a brick wall. Where the blame lies, if there is even blame to place, I don't know.

My only criticism (and a half-hearted one at that) is the seeming acceptance that GP's management style (and you have to admit, it is very very good) is enough on its own. It probably is at the moment. But until we unearth/pay the earth for, a gem or three, this is how things will be for the foreseeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here