Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You're right, supporters are letting those three small incidentals skew their judgement of footballing matters.

I’m detecting that you’re feeling a bit miffed with our current (and seemingly endless) search for a win.

I’ve kind of got less and less bothered, a combination of bizarre recruitment culminating in a equally screwball loan out talent policy had me baffled this season. To enter this season with three strikers, one massively injury prone and one just not good enough... well... it was a what’s the point moment?

This slide was inevitable given our lack of goal threat, as for GP he’s starting to risk being found out, if by finding out I mean: score against Brighton and you’re home and dry.

He’s been let down, but had to be sanctioning decisions to loan out forwards who might have provided a different option... surely ?

It’s looking very grim tbh and I suspect we’ll be nestled in the bottom 5 soon enough. Sadly.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
FFS. The Potter out clowns need a reality check. It is not Potter who failed to sign the striker we oh so ****ing obviously have needed for over 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think some people are so unrealistic with expectations - we are batting way above our station! I’m still a Potter fan - he’s doing what he can with what he has. I think a few surprises will come in January with signings and exits ……….. watch this space!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
FFS. The Potter out clowns need a reality check. It is not Potter who failed to sign the striker we oh so ****ing obviously have needed for over 2 years.

Yep, poor recruitment and this is what you end up with. So glaringly obvious what was needed to the greater percentage of fans. Maybe greater efforts will be made to alleviate this in January and that does not mean signing a young prospect who then disappears for years on loan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This won’t go down well and I take no pleasure in posting it.

The Potter knockers are pointing the finger and wrath at the wrong man imo :shrug:

I am accepting of the fact that we aren’t going to pay the going rate for a couple more PL quality strikers and I understand the reasons but the buck stops with Bloom for our inability to hit the onion bag more than Potter’s tactics.

I am ready for another relegation battle if the striker situation is not resolved/improved in January and I can live with it.

Sacking Potter will NOT solve the problem, again just in this fanboy’s opinion

I will be grateful for all TB has done for this club as long as I can draw breath regardless of whether we stay in this division or not :bowdown:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m detecting that you’re feeling a bit miffed with our current (and seemingly endless) search for a win.

I’ve kind of got less and less bothered, a combination of bizarre recruitment culminating in a equally screwball loan out talent policy had me baffled this season. To enter this season with three strikers, one massively injury prone and one just not good enough... well... it was a what’s the point moment?

This slide was inevitable given our lack of goal threat, as for GP he’s starting to risk being found out, if by finding out I mean: score against Brighton and you’re home and dry.

He’s been let down, but had to be sanctioning decisions to loan out forwards who might have provided a different option... surely ?

It’s looking very grim tbh and I suspect we’ll be nestled in the bottom 5 soon enough. Sadly.

I go through emotional cycles revolving around EPL matches, my mind now well versed after 4.5 seasons of us being relegation fodder:

Phase 1 - Pre match, looking forward to it, I unrealistically envisage us tucking away a couple of chances, of winning a game of football.

Phase 2 - The match, increasingly frustrated, sometimes angry, very aware that the inevitable early missed open goal, will hurt us come final whistle, finally just numb.

Phase 3 - Post match, analytical, very clear on who had a shit game. Pissed off that the club’s spend of £250m in fees, £100m’s in wages, 9 transfer windows and 2 managers ….. hasn’t transformed us from that slow team that can’t score, that rarely wins. In fact we’ve regressed. Ben White’s understated strength was the transition, in a micro second turning defence into attack. Sorely missed. Boy we’re predictable. Anfield was an outlier, Klopp doesn’t do defence. Other coaches now set up to allow us to pass ourselves to a standstill in harmless cul-de-sacs. Then some rob us on the counter …. Ollie Watkins, Wolves should’ve scored 4 or 5, Callum Wilson before being hacked down. We’re making shit teams took good.

We didn’t deserve to be anywhere near the CL places. Luck’s run out, we’re now finding our rightful place as a very low-scoring team nearer the bottom.

Merry Christmas :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep, poor recruitment and this is what you end up with. So glaringly obvious what was needed to the greater percentage of fans. Maybe greater efforts will be made to alleviate this in January and that does not mean signing a young prospect who then disappears for years on loan

Indeed, if we were paying peanuts for these ‘prospects’ I’d by supporting a loan out to develop strategy in the main. The lad who went to Stoke cost us over 10 million - then got injured and looks to be out of the picture... genius strategy in action there! Yes it’s an unfortunate set of circumstances, but why fork out 40 million (combined) or so on players we will most likely never see and not push the boat out for one of our missing pieces? Especially as even breaking even on these youngsters is a hard thing to do ?!?

If I was GP I’d be totally ****ed off with the situation.

The club have let him down, plain and simple. That’s how the narrative will play out here, GPs stock will remain high regardless... after all, you can’t win games without goal scorers.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I go through emotional cycles revolving around EPL matches, my mind now well versed after 4.5 seasons of us being relegation fodder:

Phase 1 - Pre match, looking forward to it, I unrealistically envisage us tucking away a couple of chances, of winning a game of football.

Phase 2 - The match, increasingly frustrated, sometimes angry, very aware that the inevitable early missed open goal, will hurt us come final whistle, finally just numb.

Phase 3 - Post match, analytical, very clear on who had a shit game. Pissed off that the club’s spend of £250m in fees, £100m’s in wages, 9 transfer windows and 2 managers ….. hasn’t transformed us from that slow team that can’t score, that rarely wins. In fact we’ve regressed. Ben White’s understated strength was the transition, in a micro second turning defence into attack. Sorely missed. Boy we’re predictable. Anfield was an outlier, Klopp doesn’t do defence. Other coaches now set up to allow us to pass ourselves to a standstill in harmless cul-de-sacs. Then some rob us on the counter …. Ollie Watkins, Wolves should’ve scored 4 or 5, Callum Wilson before being hacked down. We’re making shit teams took good.

We didn’t deserve to be anywhere near the CL places. Luck’s run out, we’re now finding our rightful place as a very low-scoring team nearer the bottom.

Merry Christmas :lolol:

Yep, that sums me up too... I’ve just about reached the apathy stage tbh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, that sums me up too... I’ve just about reached the apathy stage tbh.

Other interests and pastimes keep me sane, eg listening to music.

The Albion is way down my pecking order. The tedium of this non-winning, non-scoring football almost becomes a bit of ironic amusement for me …. you’ve got to laugh.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Other interests and pastimes keep me sane, eg listening to music.

The Albion is way down my pecking order. The tedium of this non-winning, non-scoring football almost becomes a bit of ironic amusement for me …. you’ve got to laugh.

You know things aren’t right when buying a new strip (full kit wanker style) for your 8 year old costs about £80. We’re pretty much priced out of things now, it’s unaffordable for us as a family.

Music, sweet music. Never lets me down.

I can’t really associate to PL ballers who get arrested on nights out and earn more money in week than I do in two - three years. It’s utterly obscene.

Given the money involved, I’d say more then ever we ‘small’ people do deserve to be entertained, you know just a little bit of excitement in this dreary awful covid infested world.

Maybe a good old fashioned relegation is what we need? We probably deserve it tbh.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s been said many times but it isn’t that easy to persuade a top quality striker to sign. They are rare and have their pick of employers. This is real life, not fantasy football or PlayStation. If people could understand these constraints they would lower their expectations a little. Neither GP nor Tony are doing a lot wrong. They are managing a PL football club/business and simply constantly repeating that we need to sign a top striker won’t make it happen.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It’s been said many times but it isn’t that easy to persuade a top quality striker to sign. They are rare and have their pick of employers. This is real life, not fantasy football or PlayStation. If people could understand these constraints they would lower their expectations a little. Neither GP nor Tony are doing a lot wrong. They are managing a PL football club/business and simply constantly repeating that we need to sign a top striker won’t make it happen.

It was Alan Pardew (yes, I know), who said it was easy to defend in the Premier League. He added, that the difficulty was in scoring goals against those defences. I've always remembered that.
Welcome back by the way.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
And I completely understand your sentiments. My point was more in response to Swansman’s implied accusation that BHA fans are in some way ungrateful to Tony. That I do take exception to. For those like you that are fed up with GP though, please remember that he has turned things around before. In those never ending in/out polls this time last year I voted out in one of them. I was fed up but changed my mind because he kept us up and had us playing sublime football at the beginning of this season. If he was capable of doing those things before then he can do it again. I’m not one of the Olive Branch Potter cult brigade. I don’t support him and didn’t support any of the previous managers either. Just like players they come and they go. I support BHAFC and that’s all. I just happen to think he is the best man for the job and will start getting results again. Keep the faith as Mickey used to say.

Agree but the the reality is about 3 home wins each season . Am I right in say 27 teams played in bottom 3 and 1 win either way it’s a pathetic return .
Ungrateful to Tony no way but this is the prem everything costs stupid money . He is the one that mentions top ten not the fans

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

we literally don't though. I'd argue all we need is one or two more maupay/trossard level signings. If we had two more players providing 5-10 goals each every season we'd be in an infinitely better place already.

It's not a question of a lack of quality imo, it's a question of a lack of diversity. We have a squad filled with a certain type of player, and when those players are struggling (due to opponents parking the bus, let's say), we immediately find ourselves up sh*t creek without a paddle because we've got absolutely no one else to turn to in terms of providing something a little different

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I would get Roy Hodgson or Sam Allardyce in as interim manager until the end of the season and then recruit a manager in the summer who has some passion and isn't going to coach into the players anti-shooting.

What qualities do these two bring?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

What was glaringly obvious?
If you mean a striker, we have one. we were all happy when we got him, just like Andoni, Locadia Swiss Andy. Many on here wanted the Celtic guy who Palarse got, well that's worked out well. I'm sure some so called fans think we should be spending like Man City, Utd, Liverpool etc, we can't and we won't. Thank God we don't because the first time he fails to score in a game he will be written off, and the same people will be on here saying we need a striker.

We have to get lucky when buying a striker.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
If you mean a striker, we have one. we were all happy when we got him, just like Andoni, Locadia Swiss Andy. Many on here wanted the Celtic guy who Palarse got, well that's worked out well. I'm sure some so called fans think we should be spending like Man City, Utd, Liverpool etc, we can't and we won't. Thank God we don't because the first time he fails to score in a game he will be written off, and the same people will be on here saying we need a striker.

That one who got the assist in both the palace goals against Southampton?

The sad fact is you have to pay for a goal scoring forward, the players and agents know this and cost them self’s accordingly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’re 100% bottom 6 material on (wages) budget, finish anything above that and we’re punching above our weight
We have ambitions, but these will take years to fulfil as it’s really dependent on the academy producing the goods. Still early days in real terms on that front but the signs are good. No-one suggested top 10 was an aim this season
Like anyone hiring multiple people, we’ve ****ed up a few times. It happens :shrug: Just a couple of our loanees making the first team will be a success
Potter is aligned to Tony’s long term strategy and philosophy - we can’t have a manager that isn’t. Who replaces him ?
We’re in a poor run of form for sure (but not quite disastrous yet)……at some point we’ll spring out of it. Injuries and suspensions are crucifying us atm
Grabbing a point at Palace, West Ham and Saints, and 3 at Burnley was fantastic to witness:D

Have to take the lows with the highs. Been a mostly shit couple of months and our home form is particularly grim. Happy to trust the guys in charge to get it sorted for now……because the alternatives really aren’t that obvious (or realistic)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There's a huge difference between spending £22m on 3 (three) strikers and buying a striker who has the pedigree to score Premier League goals.

Don't even bother to throw the tired hackneyed old excuse that is Joelynton back at me.

In the summer the club spent Joelynton money on kids who may never play for the first team and an unneeded midfielder described as having wooden legs.
While also slapping it own recruitment back at any and all available opportunities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here