Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread has turned into rather an interesting read, I wasn’t expecting that

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Disagree. Plenty of ungratefulness towards Tony Bloom here. Of course, it is taboo so people wont say it out loud, but it doesnt change the fact. Takes you to the entertainment park where you always wanted to go and you cry because you're not at Disneyworld = ungratefulness. Buys you a ton of shiny toys and you cry because they are not more shiny = ungratefulness. Plenty of people have also outright said that they would gladly take a different owner if it means more investment and better results.

Think Tony is looking forward to when the generation of people cruising through life sods off to wherever-you-go-next and gets replaced by a new generation who through their experience of hardship have a more appreciative and realistic view on things.

Utter bilge water…

All this from a person who follows a manager, Sometimes I wish you would sod off to wherever-you-go-next.

None of us could be more appreciative for everything Tony has done for the club.
Unrealistic expectations you say, what to sign the elusive striker, that everyone knows we need and would possibly move us up the table slightly.
Tony knew when he announced his vision for the club is top ten, that he needs to acquire not just a higher calibre striker, or at least a foil for Maupay, and possibly all around the team, improvement will be required.
We can’t achieve his top ten aim, by the conveyor belt from the academy, that’s not feasible.
If you make that announcement, you open yourself up, for criticism, that is inevitable.
No one is ungrateful, There is no mass hysteria, just concern, and frustration.
None of us expect to wining every game, I would however after forking out £80 plus for tickets, x amount in the concourse, x amount in the club shop, taking my daughter to watch the Albion, the possibility of converting some of those chances and three points.
I care deeply about this club, as do thousands of others including Tony, he is one of our own and we love him.
The outcry at the moment is nothing more than frustration, we can see the plan, we can see the pieces falling into place, we all know what’s missing, it’s been missing for several seasons now.

I’m of the opinion we won’t get anyone in the January window, and I’m sure most of us are of the same mind, that my friend spells one thing, and we can all see it coming, another relegation scrap, another season of expectations burst.

It’s just frustrating, you get that, please don’t be condescending towards us, it’s not endearing.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I had a moment last season after the West Brom debacle, decided to stay off Albion for the rest of the season, mainly because my actual mental health was suffering with all the stress watching each game. I believe I am rapidly reaching that point again after the refreshing and promising start we've had... still under review.

A person can only endure so much mental anguish from a team that only needs 2 or 3 pieces to complete the puzzle..... Covid and Politics are giving me more than my fair share of emotional challenges, who needs another layer!?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A diet that worse than the one which got the previous manager sacked.

Out of your impossibly large list of poor takes, this is very easily your worst by a large margin. We are in a horrific slump at the moment, but there’s a combination of genuine reasons which aren’t helping proceedings. Have you genuinely forgotten just how poor we were under Hughton in the final half of his last season? We weren’t even attempting to score, just desperately hanging on for a 0-0. There’s still evidence of some decent football being played and I’m sure we’ll start to click again soon enough.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You're right, supporters are letting those three small incidentals skew their judgement of footballing matters.

Sarcasm aside, I’m not trying to underplay the importance of those “three small incidentals” , quite the opposite in fact, people are hugely frustrated by it all and I think it’s completely warranted, however, when the stats are there (XG) to highlight what actually happened then it suggests to me that people are only seeing the bad in everything, which again I can completely understand. For some reason we consider every chance the opposition have as a ‘must score’ scenario whereas we’re thoroughly dismissive of any chances we create. I get it, lots of us are in a negative mind frame at the moment, there’s a crap tonne of stuff going on in the world at the moment and for many/most of us the Albion should be our release from it all, but the action on the pitch simply isn’t giving the desired results and I think there’s more than an element of people taking it out on the club, some of which does seem justified.

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Out of your impossibly large list of poor takes, this is very easily your worst by a large margin. We are in a horrific slump at the moment, but there’s a combination of genuine reasons which aren’t helping proceedings. Have you genuinely forgotten just how poor we were under Hughton in the final half of his last season? We weren’t even attempting to score, just desperately hanging on for a 0-0. There’s still evidence of some decent football being played and I’m sure we’ll start to click again soon enough.

And to think, in that first half of a season which has been totally rewritten in the post above, we put 3 past Manchester United and Crystal Palace while desperately hanging on for a 0-0.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Which is why I walked it back 24 minutes later in #236.

Is that also in my list of impossibly large list of poor takes?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Utter bilge water…

All this from a person who follows a manager, Sometimes I wish you would sod off to wherever-you-go-next.

None of us could be more appreciative for everything Tony has done for the club.
Unrealistic expectations you say, what to sign the elusive striker, that everyone knows we need and would possibly move us up the table slightly.
Tony knew when he announced his vision for the club is top ten, that he needs to acquire not just a higher calibre striker, or at least a foil for Maupay, and possibly all around the team, improvement will be required.
We can’t achieve his top ten aim, by the conveyor belt from the academy, that’s not feasible.
If you make that announcement, you open yourself up, for criticism, that is inevitable.
No one is ungrateful, There is no mass hysteria, just concern, and frustration.
None of us expect to wining every game, I would however after forking out £80 plus for tickets, x amount in the concourse, x amount in the club shop, taking my daughter to watch the Albion, the possibility of converting some of those chances and three points.
I care deeply about this club, as do thousands of others including Tony, he is one of our own and we love him.
The outcry at the moment is nothing more than frustration, we can see the plan, we can see the pieces falling into place, we all know what’s missing, it’s been missing for several seasons now.

I’m of the opinion we won’t get anyone in the January window, and I’m sure most of us are of the same mind, that my friend spells one thing, and we can all see it coming, another relegation scrap, another season of expectations burst.

It’s just frustrating, you get that, please don’t be condescending towards us, it’s not endearing.

Have a good day.

Don't disagree with you, but what did anyone really expect. We are good enough IMO to stay up and am confident we will. Predicted a 16th finish again this season which I would be more than happy with. Yes, my expectations might be lower than many others, but I am happy enough to see us in the Prem each year. We all want to see us finish higher but we are what we are in my view and that is a bottom third club in the best division in the world - not bad as far as I'm concerned.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't disagree with you, but what did anyone really expect. We are good enough IMO to stay up and am confident we will. Predicted a 16th finish again this season which I would be more than happy with. Yes, my expectations might be lower than many others, but I am happy enough to see us in the Prem each year. We all want to see us finish higher but we are what we are in my view and that is a bottom third club in the best division in the world - not bad as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed but there are quite a few on here who see not improving year on year as failure and worthy of some sort of change. How many clubs actually improve year on year though?

As a club I think we are progressing year on year, it’s just the first team that has stalled and yes it’s frustrating that most see why, finding those pieces of the jigsaw is proving a big challenge.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
And to think, in that first half of a season which has been totally rewritten in the post above, we put 3 past Manchester United and Crystal Palace while desperately hanging on for a 0-0.

I haven’t rewritten anything, I’ve clearly stated ‘second half of his last season’ , which believe it or not actually means not the first half of the season. Yes, beating Palace and Man Utd was thoroughly enjoyable, but being the only team to lose to Pardew’s relegated WBA, 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, also losing at home to Southampton, relegated Cardiff, Burnley and getting 4 put passed us by an awful Fulham.
We had some truly great times under Hughton, but the SECOND HALF of his final season was woeful.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

What did we expect, with the aim top ten, possibly an incoming striker in the summer would have been nice, a statement of intent perhaps. We are not stupid, we know the squad we have is not top ten, we were however somewhat fooled with our great start to the season, way beyond everyone's expectations I think. We forgot for a few months that we did not get the required piece to the jigsaw. Now the chickens have come home not only to roost, but butchered :lolol:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I haven’t rewritten anything, I’ve clearly stated ‘second half of his last season’ , which believe it or not actually means not the first half of the season. Yes, beating Palace and Man Utd was thoroughly enjoyable, but being the only team to lose to Pardew’s relegated WBA, 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, also losing at home to Southampton, relegated Cardiff, Burnley and getting 4 put passed us by an awful Fulham.
We had some truly great times under Hughton, but the SECOND HALF of his final season was woeful.
Sorry, tired morning eyes. Thought you were moaning at that dire first half of the season where we were quite good, but a lot of fans seemed to get entitled when we won 3 games in a row 1-0 and took issue with the performance. Which is partially why we are where we are now.

Second half of that season isn't defendable, it was shit bar winning at Palace. But we did get a bit of luck with the balls in the cup run - similar this year could do us a real favour.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

Once Murray and Knockaert’s stars waned, Hughton didn’t stand a chance. If Maupay got a long term injury Potter would be f**ked. You need goalscorers.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Disagree. Plenty of ungratefulness towards Tony Bloom here. Of course, it is taboo so people wont say it out loud, but it doesnt change the fact. Takes you to the entertainment park where you always wanted to go and you cry because you're not at Disneyworld = ungratefulness. Buys you a ton of shiny toys and you cry because they are not more shiny = ungratefulness. Plenty of people have also outright said that they would gladly take a different owner if it means more investment and better results.

Think Tony is looking forward to when the generation of people cruising through life sods off to wherever-you-go-next and gets replaced by a new generation who through their experience of hardship have a more appreciative and realistic view on things.

You really do make stuff up. Huge sweeping generalizations and mistruths. There’s no ungratefulness towards Tony Bloom largely due to the fact that he is a fan and acting as custodian of the club very well.

Honestly, you don’t understand our history. You were never there. Out of interest, have you ever been here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forgive me, I was reading in chronological order so read your earlier post first.

I want my cake, and obviously eat it!

I'm not, never have been and hopefully never will be 'Potter Out'.

I get 'it', I get the process, I get the difficulties surrounding money and the Premier League.

My reflective self thinks it'll all be ok in the end, and if it isn't ok then it's not the end.

As [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] saying there's a lot of steam being let off, but also it's worth requoting [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]

14 goals all season.

Haven’t won in 3 months.

Played basket-cases Norwich, Newcastle and Villa into form.

Living the dream.

That generates a lot of steam!

Most of us are supporters, we go to games, we kick every ball, we laughed, we cry, we buy the t-shirt.
We go because of passion, commitment, habit, ritual.
Many of us have echos from the past with us at Albion games.
We want to be those echos in the future.

All emotional stuff.

But we also go to escape and be entertained.

All of the above only gets us through so much masochism.
GPott is lucky we weren't sitting through last season as well.

He's nearly halfway through his third season and yet when like now it goes wrong, the whole process from pre-match to post match follows an indentical path, indentical, every single beat is the same.

If pointing that out makes my views an impossibly large list of poor takes, then I'd hate to be 'right'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You really do make stuff up. Huge sweeping generalizations and mistruths. There’s no ungratefulness towards Tony Bloom largely due to the fact that he is a fan and acting as custodian of the club very well.

Honestly, you don’t understand our history. You were never there. Out of interest, have you ever been here?

He twice had the opportunity to attend courses with GPott and couldn't be bothered to go.
As hero worship goes he's not the most committed away from a keyboard.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Swansman sometimes makes some very good points.
His anti-bloom thing isn’t one of them.
He’s probably drunk or bored.
Possibly both.

I wonder who he supported before Potter? Has he obsessed over a string of teams?
I became an Albion fan aged nine. I don’t think I could ditch them even if I wanted to.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Where, Wiltshire?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What did we expect, with the aim top ten, possibly an incoming striker in the summer would have been nice, a statement of intent perhaps. We are not stupid, we know the squad we have is not top ten, we were however somewhat fooled with our great start to the season, way beyond everyone's expectations I think. We forgot for a few months that we did not get the required piece to the jigsaw. Now the chickens have come home not only to roost, but butchered :lolol:

Given the Albion lost £70m in 2020 and a huge sum too in 2021, where is the money coming from for this striker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here