Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You Tony Blair

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What about the factthat the police can no longer nick villans and have to spend all the time filling in paperwork.

Judges giving out soft sentences.

Not enough prisons.

The list goes on.

Vote Labour

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Temporary Slim Bars said:
Threats from the muslim world: ?! We had one attack
CCVT is an invasion of civil liberties: Surely not even YOU believe that.
ID Cards: Haven't yet come to pass.
Targets is schools: Fear?!
Targets in NHS: Fear?!

So no other planned attacks then? No extremist muslims showing their disdain for our country?

We have more CCTV than anywhere else in Europe. Does it not worry you where that could potentially lead? And what do you mean 'not even YOU'?

ID Cards: The fact that there is the idea in the first place shows how much control this government wants.

Both my parents are teachers, lots of their friends are teachers, they all live in constant fear of not hitting their targets. They tell me the fear of not doing well is affecting their pupils because of the pressure. That certainly fills me with dread.

NHS - similar to above.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
What about the factthat the police can no longer nick villans and have to spend all the time filling in paperwork.

Judges giving out soft sentences.

Not enough prisons.

The list goes on.

Vote Labour

None of these issues appeared in 1997. If you blame Blair for things that began before his time, which he didn't rectify, then you might as well berate him for failing to renationalise industry/railways etc

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Barrel of Fun said:
I was ignoring Tax credits as they don't effect me as yet. I haven't even got a pension sorted out as I have a student loan to payoff/service and spend a large sum renting.

Incidentally, I see the student loan has been sold off at a discount - I await news of an increase in the interest or repayments. :rolleyes:

Now you know where they came from, you can relax and have a beer. :D

I don't know what tax credits are, but 2bn is a shed-load to waste on anything.

Thanks for the beer though BoF.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Les Biehn said:
So no other planned attacks then? No extremist muslims showing their disdain for our country?

We have more CCTV than anywhere else in Europe. Does it not worry you where that could potentially lead? And what do you mean 'not even YOU'?

ID Cards: The fact that there is the idea in the first place shows how much control this government wants.

Both my parents are teachers, lots of their friends are teachers, they all live in constant fear of not hitting their targets. They tell me the fear of not doing well is affecting their pupils because of the pressure. That certainly fills me with dread.

NHS - similar to above.

1. Distain is not threats.
2. Honestly, no. I feel safer. I mean not even YOU, because you clearly have an extremely different viewpoint to me.
3. You're probably right, but they haven't pushed it through yet. Anyway, in loads of other European countries, they have ID cards...it's not like we're setting a trend.
4. Sorry to hear that. Not convinced teachers & NHS workers really constitutes the country though.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
What happens to teachers who don't hit their targets? Are there figures available somewhere of the ones sacked/disciplined? Or do they just get told "must try harder".

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Richie Morris said:
Thanks for LIBERATING Iraq from a DANGEROUS regime and spreading democracy.

More people have died since the war was "won" than would have done so otherwise, the war was illegal, the only reason Bliar went in was down to Oil,

Lets face it, our foreign policy has put joe public in mortal danger, who knows what another prime minister would have done differently, but to claim this as something to be proud of is quite simply the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Pigsy said:
What happens to teachers who don't hit their targets? Are there figures available somewhere of the ones sacked/disciplined? Or do they just get told "must try harder".

I imagine its more a case of contracts not being renewed?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wanderer said:
More people have died since the war was "won" than would have done so otherwise, the war was illegal, the only reason Bliar went in was down to Oil,

Lets face it, our foreign policy has put joe public in mortal danger, who knows what another prime minister would have done differently, but to claim this as something to be proud of is quite simply the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard

Perhaps but lets not forget the TENS of THOUSANDS who died under Saddam...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Temporary Slim Bars said:
1. Distain is not threats.
2. Honestly, no. I feel safer. I mean not even YOU, because you clearly have an extremely different viewpoint to me.
3. You're probably right, but they haven't pushed it through yet. Anyway, in loads of other European countries, they have ID cards...it's not like we're setting a trend.
4. Sorry to hear that. Not convinced teachers & NHS workers really constitutes the country though.

So the harbouring of disdain, the idea of being watched almost constantly and a large portion of the population under mounting pressure in their working and schooling environment doesn't add to a climate of fear.

If you say so but it makes me very worried.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Les Biehn said:

NHS - similar to above.

I think they are valid questions - but what I think is that it is the people demanding these things, not the government enforcing them on us.

CCTV is a byproduct of unresponsible and unruly youths, created by selfish "someone else should teach my children manners" type parents. Police aren't out on the beat so much any more as they're tied to their desks, filling papers which are demanded by a public who believe every minutae of a police officers job is scruntinsable by a public enquiry.

The ID cards are because the general population believes passports and drivers licenses are forgeable and useless, and the general public wants to stop these foreign dodgers from ruining our local communities.

The sad saga of being a teacher is simply because parents put so much pressure on the government to provide education worthy of private school level, but provided for free.

The NHS problems result because many people of elevated wealth believe it is their right to cream the crop of any decent doctors left in this country by "buying" them out to private health care.

CCTV is a byproduct of unresponsible and unruly youths, created by selfish "someone else should teach my children" manners type parents. If you're walking down the high street and get mugged, a lot of people would think, that they would be able to catch the criminal as "someone should have seen it"....not to think "someone might have seen it"...

All very general - but before people crucify the government, think about how the issues were raised and then judge whether the government has come up with the right solution to the problem.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
tedebear said:
Doesn't matter who's standing down tomorrow - most of you would still be moaning. I actually think this country isn't too bad, having seen a few others, its not as bad as it could be. But moaning seems to be something thats in abundance in this country.

You missed the point by an absolute chasm, this is about Blair and about his record, or his legacy if you like, nobody is saying that we aren't a lot better off than loads of other countries, but the original poster was thanking blair, but not everyone agrees with that, me included

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
tedebear said:
I think they are valid questions - but what I think is that it is the people demanding these things, not the government enforcing them on us.

CCTV is a byproduct of unresponsible and unruly youths, created by selfish "someone else should teach my children manners" type parents. Police aren't out on the beat so much any more as they're tied to their desks, filling papers which are demanded by a public who believe every minutae of a police officers job is scruntinsable by a public enquiry.

The ID cards are because the general population believes passports and drivers licenses are forgeable and useless, and the general public wants to stop these foreign dodgers from ruining our local communities.

The sad saga of being a teacher is simply because parents put so much pressure on the government to provide education worthy of private school level, but provided for free.

The NHS problems result because many people of elevated wealth believe it is their right to cream the crop of any decent doctors left in this country by "buying" them out to private health care.

All very general - but before people crucify the government, think about how the issues were raised and then judge whether the government has come up with the right solution to the problem.

SPOT on.

Richie Morris said:

Whilst being armed, supported politically and supported logistically by the UK and the US. The US provided the information Saddam used to round up and liquidate the Iraqi communist party after his coup. We helped to provide the chemicals use dto gas the kurds in Halabjah. We tacitly supported the export of munitions to his regime, go and read the details behind the Iraqi supergun and the Matrix Churchill trial.

Yeah, you're right. Lets not forget the tens of thousands who died under Saddam and lets bring the people like Thatcher to trial for their complicity in war crimes.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Richie Morris said:

Agreed, but to get back to the point, why did he go to war? was it because of the so called "imminent threat" from Iraq, well, it is possible that Blair actually believed that, I, personally, have grave doubts, I believe that it far more to do with $$$$ than anything else.

Would us not going to war and distancing ourselves from the US have prevented 7/7 , I think it would,

A complex issue, and we clearly don't know all the facts, but I have enough doubts and concerns about what the Blair government did to want to see them out of power as quickly as possible.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I honestly believe AMERICA went to war for OIL and to settle George W's dad's business.

BUT

I think Blair believed the weapons were there, wrongly as it has since been proved.

But, let us not overlook the fact that by supporting America we were able to veto certain targets and keep the US forces somewhat in check.

Richie Morris said:
I honestly believe AMERICA went to war for OIL and to settle George W's dad's business.

BUT

I think Blair believed the weapons were there, wrongly as it has since been proved.

But, let us not overlook the fact that by supporting America we were able to veto certain targets and keep the US forces somewhat in check.

We couldn't even veto those thick f***ing yankee hicks blowing up our forces.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Of course Blair played his part in the Irish peace process, but groundwork was done by Major and I think the vital ingredients were Mo Mowlam and Peter Mandelson. Both played huge roles, so the first post is inaccurate.

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
They are all as bad as each other. Would the Tories make things that much better. Would we all skip through rose coloured gardens if the Tories were in power. I doubt it very much. :nono:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Barrel of Fun said:
Of course Blair played his part in the Irish peace process, but groundwork was done by Major and I think the vital ingredients were Mo Mowlam and Peter Mandelson. Both played huge roles, so the first post is inaccurate.

Mo Mowlam was a public figurehead. Blair ALWAYS did the work.

I even remember hearing stories from someone within the Ulster Unionist Party about how Mowlan and her staff used to have to clear out whenever Blair and his boys came to town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here