Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

talk sport todaY

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Clearly it must have helped to some extent. I really don't care one way or another about Plymouth. However, I do feel strongly about there being to many professional clubs, and often in inappropriate locations for historic reasons.
I really don't know how to answer that. I think the supporters club would welcome a free thinking individual such as yourself though, to add the Yin to their Yang :lolol:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
But what on earth has anything you've argued about so far got to do with atmosphere?

You are honestly the only person I've ever heard with a bad thing to say about the original Fans United game. For me it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had at a football game. We didn't think it would amount to much, but driving down Dyke Road that day, and realising that there really were fans from all over the country descending, because they wanted to help US, was amazing. Crowds until that point had been around 4000-5000, that day it doubled, and the atmosphere was unreal. Until that point the team had been hopeless, the supporters demoralised. I believe very strongly that the feeling around the Goldstone that day galvanised the team- look at the result!- and it also was the first real sign that all was not lost on the pitch. From that point onwards, people started to have a bit of hope, a bit of belief, fans and players. Our home record after that was brilliant, and when you consider that we stayed up that season on goals scored (two more than Hereford I think?) then you could argue that Fans United was the turning point of our season.

What would have happened to us if we'd ended up playing Conference football, at Gillingham?

We would probably be back where we are now, and possibly with less drama getting here?

The best atmospheres at matches are driven by mutual loathing - BHA - Palarse, Chelsea Tottenham, Liverpool - Maure, West Ham - Millwall, Celtic - Rangers, and many many more. Love-ins live "Donny" are pathetic.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I suggest you look at the post above yours. Another like minded BRIGHTON FAN (and not every f***ing hard luck case!).

A poor orator often uses swear words when losing a debate. Try debating without swearing and people may take you seriously, and not take you for a silly little troll.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We would probably be back where we are now, and possibly with less drama getting here?

I think the correct response is ...Anyway........

well done Liz for getting the message out on the radio. I'm still hoping that there are those at Plymouth that can really pick this up and run with it, it seems that that might not be far away, so that we can be seen to be supporting their campaign rather than leading it.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Just like to point out the obvious to most. England has 92 pro club teams in 4 leagues. This is MORE than any other country on this planet. The 72 clubs outside the EPL are the support structure for the top division. Whilst we can all argue the merits of "footballing" quality this brings at a lower level the fact is football is part of the culture through demand and history. To abandon a club for lack of support is justifiable but to ignore the plight of a club dying through "mis-management" is simply blinkered.

So I will be bringing green balloons to the Leeds match and for the people who don't like it they can pop them.

I am grateful to all who helped the Albion through the dark days; for the reward is great!

The best atmospheres at matches are driven by mutual loathing - BHA - Palarse, Chelsea Tottenham, Liverpool - Maure, West Ham - Millwall, Celtic - Rangers, and many many more. Love-ins live "Donny" are pathetic.

Of all the comments you've made so far this one is just madness.

I can only assume that you have no understanding of where we were in 97.

Back where we are now, less drama? there is no retort to this, you clearly are mad.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

now I really am almost convinced.............................. you are either a consumate wind-up merchant or a complete and utter tosser. There are very few people on here that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire but you are getting there.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I suggest you look at the post above yours. Another like minded BRIGHTON FAN (and not every f***ing hard luck case!).

You might like to re-read the post to which you are referring. The poster is actually talking about the supporters club and not the PAFC support.
However carry on putting whatever spin you want on others posts to try and back your argument.

FANS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Oh, and please post a list of the clubs that it is ok to get rid of. Some need to be allowed to go.
Could you provide a list of those clubs you believe should close down, as this appears to be what you want?

Thames Valley Royals anyone?
http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.php?type=archive&article_id=1283

P.S. was there a proposal sometime in the 1970s for us to merge with Palace or am I getting that mixed up with the proposed Bamberdrome shared stadium at Gatwick?

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
A poor orator often uses swear words when losing a debate. Try debating without swearing and people may take you seriously, and not take you for a silly little troll.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

quality - the birth of Troll Boy aka pork pie

seriously just got in for work, had dinner and been laughing my head off - pork chop must be on a wind up

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I haven't tried because firstly I don't want to (I guess like pork pie and most other fans I don't need to find a cause to support other than turning up to BHA games) and secondly because it's been made perfectly clear that I wouldn't be welcome by the way the bobble hat brigade behave at games.

The only reason I can see to be a member of any supporters club is to get cheap travel to games. With the official supporters club you don't get that and most importantly they enforce the non drinking rule (yes I know it's the law!). Sitting on a coach for several hours with the cast of the golden girls and nothing drink sounds like hell on earth to me.

The thing about the supporters club is that it caters for a certain demographic, it probably wasn't deliberate when it started but that is how it's ended up. If you don't fit that demographic then there's no point in getting involved with them. I went on the coach a couple of times when I was younger, 97/98ish and it was pretty clear that my friends and I didn't fit in and people didn't like us being there.

We weren't being rowdey and nobody said anything but that's the feeling we all got, and before anyone tries to deny it loads of people have said before that they've been on the coach and it felt cliquey. For those reasons, it is pretty much a closed shop unless you want to bumlick Liz, Tony or Sarah for a season.

I've actually got no problem with that, it's their club and their regulars that put the hours in on the motorway, but I think the best thing for all would be if they ditched the "official supporters club" title and made it like the A21, NWSS and mid sussex seagulls. If it was clearly their club and did what it said on the tin I think they'd get alot less stick from other Albion fans.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Pork pie, you are completely daft, no one has to have a love in with other teams. But helping them to survive is an altogether different matter. Would you have been fine with us, Palace and Pompey amalgamating ? because I think us and their fans would have something to say, and yet we have all been skint and close to folding. If all of the provincial clubs close down, who the f*** would we play and in what form would you stop us being one of those provincial clubs?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pork pie, you are completely daft, no one has to have a love in with other teams. But helping them to survive is an altogether different matter. Would you have been fine with us, Palace and Pompey amalgamating ? because I think us and their fans would have something to say, and yet we have all been skint and close to folding. If all of the provincial clubs close down, who the f*** would we play and in what form would you stop us being one of those provincial clubs?

This is the concept he is promoting.

Business before communities, and all that.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
But what on earth has anything you've argued about so far got to do with atmosphere?

You are honestly the only person I've ever heard with a bad thing to say about the original Fans United game. For me it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had at a football game. We didn't think it would amount to much, but driving down Dyke Road that day, and realising that there really were fans from all over the country descending, because they wanted to help US, was amazing. Crowds until that point had been around 4000-5000, that day it doubled, and the atmosphere was unreal. Until that point the team had been hopeless, the supporters demoralised. I believe very strongly that the feeling around the Goldstone that day galvanised the team- look at the result!- and it also was the first real sign that all was not lost on the pitch. From that point onwards, people started to have a bit of hope, a bit of belief, fans and players. Our home record after that was brilliant, and when you consider that we stayed up that season on goals scored (two more than Hereford I think?) then you could argue that Fans United was the turning point of our season.

What would have happened to us if we'd ended up playing Conference football, at Gillingham?

Not normally a big fan of Coppers, but that is 100% correct!!! :clap:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's a bloody good job thousands of supporters didn't think like you in the past - otherwise you/we wouldn't have a f***ing club to support now!

Doesn't sound like this particular person would have cared either way.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
The thing about the supporters club is that it caters for a certain demographic, it probably wasn't deliberate when it started but that is how it's ended up. If you don't fit that demographic then there's no point in getting involved with them. I went on the coach a couple of times when I was younger, 97/98ish and it was pretty clear that my friends and I didn't fit in and people didn't like us being there.

We weren't being rowdey and nobody said anything but that's the feeling we all got, and before anyone tries to deny it loads of people have said before that they've been on the coach and it felt cliquey. For those reasons, it is pretty much a closed shop unless you want to bumlick Liz, Tony or Sarah for a season.

I've actually got no problem with that, it's their club and their regulars that put the hours in on the motorway, but I think the best thing for all would be if they ditched the "official supporters club" title and made it like the A21, NWSS and mid sussex seagulls. If it was clearly their club and did what it said on the tin I think they'd get alot less stick from other Albion fans.

There is no 'Official Supporters Club'. It is Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club as listed with all the other Supporters Clubs
Brighton and Hove Albion | Fans | Supporters Clubs

There a quite a few youngsters travelling on the coaches (we also work in conjunction with the Blues Away coaches helping to fill any spare places) It might also be worth mentioning that we are insured if any game is cancelled within 12 hours of kick off, the fare is refunded or should the coach be involved in any traffic event that prevents us from getting to the game [at all], in which case you would also get a refund of the monies paid for your match tickets that you are unable to use.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I was lucky enough to go to the Wrexham game for Fans United, and as a neutral, it was a shit football game, but as an occasion, it was memorable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here