Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

talk sport todaY

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My memory comfortably encompasses the original Fans United and I still recall it with a tear in my eye. I felt then as I still feel today, that knowing we had the support of other fans up and down the country, not because we were either friends or rivals but simply because we were football fans and others understood how it would feel to lose our club, to have no-one to support........................................... well, it was simply the most amazing feeling and the truth rang out loud and clear that football is more than just a game because it is what takes us away from the daily grind, the humdrum and the plain awful that constitutes many peoples' lives. Sometimes if you are lucky it unites people like few other things can but mostly it just gives us something positive to think about and when the match kicks off we are all there living it. Even when we can't be there in the flesh we still live every game. We read every match report. We devour all the stats. We talk about it and we dream about it. To deny people that is simply wrong and I don't care how financially sustainable it may be. What I care about is the excitement of supporting my team whether it is doing well, or more often over the years, not - and it matters not at all whether the sun is shining or it's pissing down with rain just as long as it doesn't snow so the game is off. I care about the hope that I feel every time my heroes run out onto the pitch. I care about the way I can't wait for the next game. Nothing else gives you those feelings and I don't want to lose it and because I know that every other fan of every club that is "theirs" whether it's their home town club or adopted, feels the same way I don't want them to lose it either.
And yes I remember how I felt walking across Hove Park and onto the OSR and seeing scarves and hats from clubs everywhere because they knew how I was feeling and it mattered to them and they cared enough to be there. I stood there that day in absolute silence just drinking it in and then I sang myself hoarse knowing that there was just a glimmer of a beginning of a chance that it might not be the last time I would do so. It wasn't then and it isn't now about the club or the rivalry or the lack of it. It's about being a fan and knowing what that means so if you don't feel it and don't care then just f*** right off because I DO and I want Argyle fans to know that I do and for them to keep feeling as they do about THEIR club. I wasn't there at Wrexham. I wish I had been. I can't be there at Leeds. But I will be watching to see our fans make me feel proud and I will be at Home Park to see fans from everywhere stand shoulder to shoulder for something that may be insignificant in the greater scheme of things but in the lives of ordinary folk it matters.

So Pork Pie, do you understand now why I'm happy to respect your right to comment but on just this one thing you are so so very wrong. Call yourself a visionary, call yourself a martyr, call yourself what you will but on a football fans' forum you don't belong.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
My memory comfortably encompasses the original Fans United and I still recall it with a tear in my eye. I felt then as I still feel today, that knowing we had the support of other fans up and down the country, not because we were either friends or rivals but simply because we were football fans and others understood how it would feel to lose our club, to have no-one to support........................................... well, it was simply the most amazing feeling and the truth rang out loud and clear that football is more than just a game because it is what takes us away from the daily grind, the humdrum and the plain awful that constitutes many peoples' lives. Sometimes if you are lucky it unites people like few other things can but mostly it just gives us something positive to think about and when the match kicks off we are all there living it. Even when we can't be there in the flesh we still live every game. We read every match report. We devour all the stats. We talk about it and we dream about it. To deny people that is simply wrong and I don't care how financially sustainable it may be. What I care about is the excitement of supporting my team whether it is doing well, or more often over the years, not - and it matters not at all whether the sun is shining or it's pissing down with rain just as long as it doesn't snow so the game is off. I care about the hope that I feel every time my heroes run out onto the pitch. I care about the way I can't wait for the next game. Nothing else gives you those feelings and I don't want to lose it and because I know that every other fan of every club that is "theirs" whether it's their home town club or adopted, feels the same way I don't want them to lose it either.
And yes I remember how I felt walking across Hove Park and onto the OSR and seeing scarves and hats from clubs everywhere because they knew how I was feeling and it mattered to them and they cared enough to be there. I stood there that day in absolute silence just drinking it in and then I sang myself hoarse knowing that there was just a glimmer of a beginning of a chance that it might not be the last time I would do so. It wasn't then and it isn't now about the club or the rivalry or the lack of it. It's about being a fan and knowing what that means so if you don't feel it and don't care then just f*** right off because I DO and I want Argyle fans to know that I do and for them to keep feeling as they do about THEIR club. I wasn't there at Wrexham. I wish I had been. I can't be there at Leeds. But I will be watching to see our fans make me feel proud and I will be at Home Park to see fans from everywhere stand shoulder to shoulder for something that may be insignificant in the greater scheme of things but in the lives of ordinary folk it matters.

So Pork Pie, do you understand now why I'm happy to respect your right to comment but on just this one thing you are so so very wrong. Call yourself a visionary, call yourself a martyr, call yourself what you will but on a football fans' forum you don't belong.

What a cracking post.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
1,000 green balloons ordered and distributed for the Leeds game - there are going to be a few people a mite out of puff by kick off time :D

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Oh Bloody Yes!

I Stood in the Hove Park that day and wept. I;d stood at Palace and Pompey and heard/gave the insults but that day in the park will be THE day that i'll always remember. Pork Pie , you should remember before you insult.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I went to Gillingham most weeks - does that make me areal fan? How many others on here can say that?
I went to EVERY game at Gillingham including Mickey Mouse cup games but my attitude is entirely different to yours about other clubs...we are talking about fans who love their club and not see it die through dodgy business practices...other fans supported us during our troubles...is it too much to ask to support them...or maybe you are blessed with the nautical saying "F**k you Jack,I'm inboard"!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
The proposed football league according to Pork Pie

South West (Plymouth, Torquay, Exeter)
Sheepshaggers (all the welsh including Bristol, Swindon, Yeovil, Liverpool, Manchester teams as they are close enough)
South (Portsmouth, Soton, Bornemouth and anyone else in the south)
London (including Aldershot, Crawley, Gillingham, Southend, Watford, Luton)
Midlands (as it says anyone in the midlands)
North (anyone Sheffield and further north)
Oh and South East, but as it only has one team they can keep their original name of Brighton and Hove Albion.

As this is 7 clubs, to even things up we allow one extra club called Scotland to join us and the scottish league disbands

And under the PP rules non league football stops because if we cant sustain 4 leagues then what chance do the non league sides have? This includes sunday pub teams as well, after all we cant disciminate against clubs, why should Lewes fold but the Crown and Anchor pub side still be able to play?

Not quite sure where the stars of tomorrow will learn their skills or get the needed match practice though now there are only 7 football clubs in England.

Is that what you mean Porkpie?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

If ever there was an argument for this place still having the ability to give someone a good reputation...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here