Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Erm….where’s the gaffer?

Hope he’s ok.
Maybe not the best cricket coach in the world but he’s a decent person and appears to have given his all.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Is the season still going on?

Can’t remember a year when I’ve invested less and less attention to SCC as the summer has progressed. The times I have tried, they’ve unerringly been a huge disappointment. It’s a sad period for the club.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Is the season still going on?

Can’t remember a year when I’ve invested less and less attention to SCC as the summer has progressed. The times I have tried, they’ve unerringly been a huge disappointment. It’s a sad period for the club.

Quite, I was so pleased to be able to watch a First Class County when I came to Sussex in 1995, even though we were a bit crap at the time.

Was a SCC Member for quite a while as well, but T20 and the Hundred plus no 4 day games in the Summer have sapped my interest such that I can barely name any of our team. Well done ECB...

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Quite, I was so pleased to be able to watch a First Class County when I came to Sussex in 1995, even though we were a bit crap at the time.

Was a SCC Member for quite a while as well, but T20 and the Hundred plus no 4 day games in the Summer have sapped my interest such that I can barely name any of our team. Well done ECB...

Same here - I had membership years ago but a combination of work / family and also the changes to the schedule mean i rarely get to a game now. Managed a day at Lords for the championship this season and that is it.

I would say that the YouTube streams are useful to have on in the background when working from home so I have a bit more interest this season than in recent years.

On the BBC website yesterday there was an interesting piece about how Somerset have said the playing schedule is unacceptable - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62900966

The lack of summer cricket outside of the Hundred and Tests is ridiculous. I used to go over to watch cricket in the school holidays as a youngster as it was a safe and cheap way to keep entertained in the school holidays and that is what gave me my love of cricket.

People say 4 day cricket is not what kids want but kids love getting on the outfield in the breaks and, at the outgrounds, there were always games being played around the outside of the main area.

If you can't take kids to games during the school holidays, what chance is there of getting them interested in the future.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Erm….where’s the gaffer?

Hope he’s ok.
Maybe not the best cricket coach in the world but he’s a decent person and appears to have given his all.

I saw the BBC sport report last night was quoting Kirtley - Salisbury is either missing in action or has been quietly sidelined.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I saw the BBC sport report last night was quoting Kirtley - Salisbury is either missing in action or has been quietly sidelined.

I read in another forum he is on gardening leave.
Presumably that means he’s leaving the club

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting.

I wonder if that's because he's taken a role elsewhere or he was let go...

Interestingly his Wikipedia entry, (last updated July 8th 2022) makes no mention of him being a coach for Sussex. His last 'Coaching' entry states that in May 2017 Salisbury was named as Head Coach for the England Physical Disability Cricket team. For balance I should add that Kirtley's Wiki entry doesn't even have a coaching section!

Not that I care tbh. Lost all interest in Sussex. I feel like one of those people who turned their back on the Albion during 'The Decline' in the 80s/90s. :(

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Same here - I had membership years ago but a combination of work / family and also the changes to the schedule mean i rarely get to a game now. Managed a day at Lords for the championship this season and that is it.

I would say that the YouTube streams are useful to have on in the background when working from home so I have a bit more interest this season than in recent years.

On the BBC website yesterday there was an interesting piece about how Somerset have said the playing schedule is unacceptable - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62900966

The lack of summer cricket outside of the Hundred and Tests is ridiculous. I used to go over to watch cricket in the school holidays as a youngster as it was a safe and cheap way to keep entertained in the school holidays and that is what gave me my love of cricket.

People say 4 day cricket is not what kids want but kids love getting on the outfield in the breaks and, at the outgrounds, there were always games being played around the outside of the main area.

If you can't take kids to games during the school holidays, what chance is there of getting them interested in the future.

Indeed been saying for years, easiest way to get kids and families into cricket would more or at least some 4 day games in the school holidays

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Any truth in the social media rumour that Stevo is coming to Sussex? I'd heard he was back to Leics but Sussex would make a lot of sense. He may not have to move house coming here and there'd certainly be a place in the line-up for him. He wants a coaching role and if it's true that Salisbury is on the way out, there's a vacancy here (particularly if Finn gets the England selector job).

There are a couple more years left in him, I'm sure the young kids would benefit from his guidance

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Any truth in the social media rumour that Stevo is coming to Sussex? I'd heard he was back to Leics but Sussex would make a lot of sense. He may not have to move house coming here and there'd certainly be a place in the line-up for him. He wants a coaching role and if it's true that Salisbury is on the way out, there's a vacancy here (particularly if Finn gets the England selector job).

There are a couple more years left in him, I'm sure the young kids would benefit from his guidance

He can choose his role:
Head coach
CEO
Opening bowler
Captain/vice captain
In charge of Grieg’s
But he won’t replace Brenda or the main gate Steward

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003

On the commentary yesterday, there was also mention of rumours from Kent members about the other Ollie Robinson moving over the border to Sussex.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On the commentary yesterday, there was also mention of rumours from Kent members about the other Ollie Robinson moving over the border to Sussex.

Yeah, I'd heard that too.

That would be yet another wicket keeper.

I do have vague memories of two players with the same name playing in a team together, it may come to me later

Our Ollie is OE Robinson, Kent's is OG Robinson, so it would look different on a scorecard

EDIT: Yes, Middlesex briefly had two John (Jack) Hearnes in their team in 1909 and 1910 - they were known as Old Jack and Young Jack

The two George Gunns played together for several years for Notts - they even scored centuries in the same game. They were known as George Gunn Snr and Jnr

At one stage, there were three David Smiths in county cricket but, sadly, one played for Warks, one for Wors, and one for Sussex (the Worcs one did join Sussex later but the Sussex one had gone by then)

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I do have vague memories of two players with the same name playing in a team together, it may come to me later

Our Ollie is OE Robinson, Kent's is OG Robinson, so it would look different on a scorecard

If Ollie carries on bowling like he did last week, we'd never see them on the same scorecard anyway.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Ollie carries on bowling like he did last week, we'd never see them on the same scorecard anyway.

Maybe on the one match a season that Ollie E plays :laugh:

Although I do wonder whether the policy of resting bowlers will change - particularly in Ollie's case, he may need to build up his fitness.

Jofra is another matter: he may need to be wrapped up in cotton wool. BTW, I see he was bowling during the intervals at Hove. I wonder if we'll see him back against Glamorgan, He'll want to prove he's fit

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

EDIT: Yes, Middlesex briefly had two John (Jack) Hearnes in their team in 1909 and 1910 - they were known as Old Jack and Young Jack

The two George Gunns played together for several years for Notts - they even scored centuries in the same game. They were known as George Gunn Snr and Jnr

A couple of Jack Paynes played for Southend football a few years ago.
Re OG Robinson - I wondered if they were losing faith in Carter as a wk. He’d be a good signing.
Not sure About Stevens (as a player) though, unless they don’t rate FHP.
I had similar thoughts re Jofra, the papers say January return tho

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Excellent work

The best I could come up with was Mohammed Shami and Mohammed Sami, who must surely have played ODI cricket at least together for Pakistan.

Back to the two Ollie Robinsons - not only do they share a name - they even share the same BIRTHDAY! (1st December). They can share a 'Happy Birthday Ollie' cake.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Following the reminder about the T20 later today, Sussex are up at Durham today at 10:30 - assume the usual YouTube streaming will be available to those who want to have the sound of Adrian Harms in the background while they work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here