Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thanks Guys. Really good to hear of the positive influencers.

I’m pushing a bit here. No one has mentioned Salisbury?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, I was going to mention the involvement of ex-Sussex players in the coaching set-up. Grant Flower is the outsider there. I didn't know that about Yards and Frankie though, it's really good to hear. There's a lot of investment in young players at the club and it's beginning to show.

And, this season, Grizz and Tony Cottey joined the cricket committee too. So, there's a strong Sussex influence behind the scenes too,

I think its helped that Yards went away and did a degree in some sort of sports psychology after his own career - so he knows exactly how to hit these things head on, if anyone's struggling at the club. He also helped Frankie take the step up to Premier League this year - taking time out of his own evenings to take him along to the first few training sessions with me until he was settled etc. & constantly keeping an eye on how the lads are doing in club cricket. So much so that he & the other coaches messaged Frankie on the group-chat within a few minutes of him taking 5 wickets up at Three Bridges...and one of the coaches was at a wedding that afternoon :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think its helped that Yards went away and did a degree in some sort of sports psychology after his own career - so he knows exactly how to hit these things head on, if anyone's struggling at the club.:

And, of course, Yards has his own personal circumstances to draw on. I'm sure that will make him feel very empathetic

I love your insights on the Academy setup, Andy. It's good to know that Sussex are taking things seriously. There was an admission some years ago that they hadn't quite been as supportive as they could have been - how much better things are now.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
And, of course, Yards has his own personal circumstances to draw on. I'm sure that will make him feel very empathetic

I love your insights on the Academy setup, Andy. It's good to know that Sussex are taking things seriously. There was an admission some years ago that they hadn't quite been as supportive as they could have been - how much better things are now.

Absolutely - until this year I had been a bit "meh" about the whole thing (never any communication / training all over the place etc) but it has turned a massive corner this season with Yards coming in. Already things are looking up with Bertie Foreman away with the England U19s at the moment, and scoring a 50 on his debut. There is a 5yr plan in place as I've mentioned before - and I know some fans arent happy with that, but Sussex do have a plan in place - and are really working hard to bring that to fruition. No idea if Frankie will be part of that in a few years time but, right now, everyone is pulling in the same direction to get the club there.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Anyone doing the Sussex semi final/Fulham away double header?

Unlikely to see the finish of the Sussex game unless it’s a bit of a trouncing but you never know.

Is there any confirmation on Pujara’s availability for it?

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Anyone doing the Sussex semi final/Fulham away double header?

Unlikely to see the finish of the Sussex game unless it’s a bit of a trouncing but you never know.

Is there any confirmation on Pujara’s availability for it?
They said on the radio last week that he is unavailable when we get to the final

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Where’s Ian Salisbury?
Kirtley was managing the one-day team at the end.
No sign of Salisbury for a while.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Delighted Sussex got to semis but must be realised that it was very much a 2nd team competition. I think Sussex and Middlesex were only sides able to field anywhere near near full side. Most of best one day players were playing in joke hundred competition. To show what a farce it is a few of our players scored lots of runs at a good rate so every chance they will be asked to Hundred.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Any of our insiders know where our leader is?

According to the Sussex site, we have two Head Coaches - Salisbury and Kirtley.

Just guessing but as Kirtley is listed as T20 Head Coach, maybe they decided to have his remit extended to the 50 over competition?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As the season winds down and everyone looks forward (?) to next season - it may interest a few to know that the U18s are through to the T20 Finals Day up in Leics this weekend.

Good luck lads!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As the season winds down and everyone looks forward (?) to next season - it may interest a few to know that the U18s are through to the T20 Finals Day up in Leics this weekend.

Good luck lads!

And, if course, nothing on the Sussex website about it. The whole site is devoted to the first XI - nothing on the seconds, on the kids, on the women. They should have a look at the Albion website and see how it's done.

Well done to the U18s: will Frankie be playing?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And, if course, nothing on the Sussex website about it. The whole site is devoted to the first XI - nothing on the seconds, on the kids, on the women. They should have a look at the Albion website and see how it's done.

Have to agree. I think the Sussex website is pretty awful.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Fingers crossed he will be! They're travelling up on Saturday, and play Leics in the semi final on Sunday morning...the final is then at 2.30pm.

Lets hope they bring home some silverware to GOSBTS!

As for the website, I tend to agree. They've never even put any Academy player photos up on the team page!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex currently 15-3 after choosing to bat

I was planning to go on Wednesday, looks like that's a non-goer now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here