[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Horror show.
No head coach (and no communication from club about his absence).
Arguably the poorest overseas signing ever.
Why isn’t Carter playing? As a batsman, if they want to try out Tear.
The middle order is crying out for FHP’s experience instead it’s full of teenagers who haven’t done much this season.
Haines as captain hasn’t worked, as predicted.
Currie is no James Anderson but he probably would have prospered on that pitch. He should be first choice.
We may have lost this game anyway. But a lot of the damage is self inflicted. It’s bizarre.
We’d have nothing to lose by trying some new coaches next season.
I’ll stop now.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Horror show.
No head coach (and no communication from club about his absence).
Arguably the poorest overseas signing ever.
Why isn’t Carter playing? As a batsman, if they want to try out Tear.
The middle order is crying out for FHP’s experience instead it’s full of teenagers who haven’t done much this season.
Haines as captain hasn’t worked, as predicted.
Currie is no James Anderson but he probably would have prospered on that pitch. He should be first choice.
We may have lost this game anyway. But a lot of the damage is self inflicted. It’s bizarre.
We’d have nothing to lose by trying some new coaches next season.
I’ll stop now.

Hard to disagree but I think you are being too kind. Three 18 year olds to see us through tomorrow.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely it’s not fair on the youngsters to throw them out there to sink or swim like we have

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can only assume Carter's injured - he's in decent nick. I can't believe that they've dropped him.

But, as I said against Worcs, Ashraf is a mad signing. We're desperately weak in batting: why pick a bowler, particularly one who can't bowl very well?

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I can only assume Carter's injured - he's in decent nick. I can't believe that they've dropped him.

But, as I said against Worcs, Ashraf is a mad signing. We're desperately weak in batting: why pick a bowler, particularly one who can't bowl very well?

Pujara 1094 runs at an average of 109
Alsop 923 @ 46
Orr 804 @ 40
Clark 751 @ 35
Carter 629 @ 41
Haines 621 @ 36

Very respectable. Your analysis does not stand up.

We did need a bowler - it just seems that we may have got the wrong one.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Alsop 923 @ 46
Orr 804 @ 40
Clark 751 @ 35
Carter 629 @ 41
Haines 621 @ 36

Whilst this is true (and admittedly I havent done any digging to back it up) I feel a few of these have been padded (pujara aside) by a couple of big scores in dull draws. We've still had plenty of sub 200 team first innings totals. The tail has been awfully weak and long too.

bowling still very much the issue though, can probably count on one hand the times we've bowled a team out. I think Robbo is our top wicket taker in CC despite only playing 3 games?? Madness

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

The squad was named the day before the game and Carter was in it. The commentators have said he’s been around the outfield so would we take him all that way if he was injured? .
I can see a logic where they wanted to try Tear and disregarded Carter as a batsman. Maybe (wrongly) thought the batting was strong enough? Carter is routinely picked and discarded afterall.
There are a few unproven players who seem to get a pass into the first team. It doesn’t help them.
You’ve said about Ashraf - I don’t think the problem is that he’s a bowler, the problem is he’s a bowler who doesn’t take wickets and bowls too many loose deliveries. With no Pujura, it’s actually a good opportunity for the batters to stand on their own two feet. Not going too well so far though admittedly.
I’m not too worried about batting next season. They’re promising at this level. I can’t see us taking 20 wickets though, so we won’t win any matches.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Why employ an overseas player anyway, probably on a hefty fee, and he is no great shakes either, for two games that mean nothing.
We wont finish bottom, Leics are poorer than us, and that takes some doing.
Carter averages about 45 in CC, bizaar team selection.
Sack Greenfield, Salisbury and Kirtley, they are all a waste of time and money.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Alsop 923 @ 46
Orr 804 @ 40
Clark 751 @ 35
Carter 629 @ 41
Haines 621 @ 36

Look at their scores since Pujara's gone. Those averages were boosted by having a class batter in the team - that's what I mean when I said they need to pick a batter. These are still young players and they need some guidance.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Surely Grant Flower will be made head coach

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if the Ashraf signing was more a desperate bowling signing because they knew Karvelas was having issues with his knee and Garton was not going to be able to play after his long covid relapse in the Hundred

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thank goodness it's raining up there. 9/4 second innings.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Outrageous umpiring has contributed to that. Kept us out there in the dark last night and at least 3 very dodgy LBWs against our lads in the match.

Is one of the umpire's Ben Raine's dad?

I'm not sure what he is bowling, but for all five of your wickets in a match to be LBW decisions is quite unusual.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
They’ve only been out there a few minutes today. Vintage Sussex to still manage to squeeze in a wicket loss. At least this one was actually plumb.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Grant Flower furious about conditions last night. To have that Clark lb given on top of that is quite incredible, it’s well worth finding it on the YouTube stream and noticing where the bowlers releases the ball, there’s no way you can give it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Meanwhile, the Strauss Review recommendations are out.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/62985372

They've stepped back from the suggestion of reducing the number of County sides, in favour of smaller divisions, to make for less matches.

One top division of 6, Two equal second tier leagues of 6, with a play-off between the two league winners, for a single promotion spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here