Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea at the Amex – Want to Help?

We only get one verse now. They've changed it (for the better in my opinion). Plus it only really needs to last long enough for the teams to walk out and shake hands down the line.

I suggest:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take your time from me
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea

Good old Sussex by the Sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

Four minutes into Everest's video of the Blackpool game (or was it Hull?), is the complete tune as currently played.

[yt]fnadSlvUiDw[/yt]

Sing along with Lush's version of the words. Or sing what the crowd actually sang at that game, replacing "and I'll sing you a song as we march along of Sussex by the Sea" with "and we're going up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea".

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If you love the Albion's anthem, this one's for you.

An endless stream of NSC threads and posts confirms there's a growing bunch of fans wanting to do something positive about Sussex by the Sea.

True, many people are happy just to sing a four line chorus, preceded by lots of der-der-de-derrs, and that's their choice.

But while a lot of supporters are anxious to rejuvenate and celebrate our totally unique anthem, only a few know more than a line or two of the original words. So it's not surprising there are regular calls for the lyrics to appear on the big screens, get printed in the programme, and so on.

The Amex's amazing, multi-megawatts PA system has made all the difference. People can hear – many for the very first time – the Albion's anthem being belted out, pre-kick-off, at the correct speed. It's noticeable how many fans have begun to sing along with the brass band track. But also spontaneously, during the game - a whole lot slower than ever before.

We're only just starting to see the potential impact of thousands of us singing at least some of the real words as the teams run out. Think how "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", and "You'll Never Walk Alone" are always sung – slowly, lovingly, by thousands of the home fans. It's impossible for away supporters visiting Upton Park and Anfield to ignore the raw power and emotion that this kind of singing generates. And the resulting impact on the home team. Now, we can do the same. Or even better.

With 20,000 crowds every game, the potential is huge. If people want to continue singing their derr-derr-de-derrs, no problem. But the rapidly growing number of us wanting to sing SBTS properly now need an opportunity to make it happen. This video, (start 50 seconds in) provides an idea of just how good the singing can sound. With thousands of Albion fans singing the real words, the sheer impact at the Amex would be amazing.

Other posters – most recently, Jack Straw – have suggested some sort of meet-up where like-minded fans can get together and belt out our anthem properly. We'd like to kick this off informally, by getting people together at the Amex – over a pint or two of Harveys. Perhaps in the north-west corner concourse. Or, even better, in Dick's Bar, where the PA would certainly be put to good use.

But for now, the main thing is to gauge the level of interest. So, if this seems like something for you, please sign up below.

i always sing the first verse of the official lyrics, then on the finale, going up to win the cup.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder how many people with baulk at the idea of saying the word GAY in the lyrics? Judging by the reaction to Dick's Bar I would think quite a lot.

MaggieT83

Oct 26, 2010
Pulborough
Not going to get anywhere unless everyone is fully agreed on a version so I suggest anyone that wants to suggest a version does so and labels it with a number or something then someone can create a poll and we can all vote for our favourite. Then after the results of the poll we have no more suggestions because its getting a bit silly!

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
This all sounds a good idea to me.
Just one question, was the ' going up to win the cup' only sang since the cup run in'83?
I can't remember it before that.
I do think the stand or fall line would be better suited now too.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Not going to get anywhere unless everyone is fully agreed on a version so I suggest anyone that wants to suggest a version does so and labels it with a number or something then someone can create a poll and we can all vote for our favourite. Then after the results of the poll we have no more suggestions because its getting a bit silly!

This please but I dont know how to set up polls

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Change the verse "Let your hearts be Gay" to "When the Albion play their game"
It makes it more unique to the Albion too
Also
Change the "going up to Win the Cup" bit to "You can tell them all that we Stand or Fall for Sussex By The Sea"............and you've got a winner!:thumbsup:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

We do need to all agree on a version.

However, this thread started simply to identify support for it to be sung with its original words. It's been taken over by everyone, in their enthusiasm, chipping in with their own take on it so we've ended up with about a dozen different versions. Why don't we wait & see what the OP has in mind? Talk about herding cats!:lolol:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
It seems the club aren't interested, unfortunately

"the club aren't interested" :eek:

Just a cotton-picking minute :angry::angry::angry:

Who said they get to decide how WE support OUR team?

20,000 of us spending half a million quid every home gain and someone decides how we're going to greet our team. Bollocks to that.
We'll end up with prawn bloody sandwiches next.

Right, time to wheel in Attila, Des Lynham, FBS, NSK ... anyone prepared to take a stand against this bloody nonsense. It's the thin end of the wedge, I'm tellin ya

:shootself

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It seems the club aren't interested, unfortunately

"the club aren't interested" :eek:

Just a cotton-picking minute :angry::angry::angry:

Who said they get to decide how WE support OUR team?

20,000 of us spending half a million quid every home gain and someone decides how we're going to greet our team. Bollocks to that.
We'll end up with prawn bloody sandwiches next.

Right, time to wheel in Attila, Des Lynham, FBS, NSK ... anyone prepared to take a stand against this bloody nonsense. It's the thin end of the wedge, I'm tellin ya

:shootself

Found the smiley buttons then! :kiss:

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
If you love the Albion's anthem, this one's for you.

An endless stream of NSC threads and posts confirms there's a growing bunch of fans wanting to do something positive about Sussex by the Sea.

True, many people are happy just to sing a four line chorus, preceded by lots of der-der-de-derrs, and that's their choice.

But while a lot of supporters are anxious to rejuvenate and celebrate our totally unique anthem, only a few know more than a line or two of the original words. So it's not surprising there are regular calls for the lyrics to appear on the big screens, get printed in the programme, and so on.

The Amex's amazing, multi-megawatts PA system has made all the difference. People can hear – many for the very first time – the Albion's anthem being belted out, pre-kick-off, at the correct speed. It's noticeable how many fans have begun to sing along with the brass band track. But also spontaneously, during the game - a whole lot slower than ever before.

We're only just starting to see the potential impact of thousands of us singing at least some of the real words as the teams run out. Think how "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", and "You'll Never Walk Alone" are always sung – slowly, lovingly, by thousands of the home fans. It's impossible for away supporters visiting Upton Park and Anfield to ignore the raw power and emotion that this kind of singing generates. And the resulting impact on the home team. Now, we can do the same. Or even better.

With 20,000 crowds every game, the potential is huge. If people want to continue singing their derr-derr-de-derrs, no problem. But the rapidly growing number of us wanting to sing SBTS properly now need an opportunity to make it happen. This video, (start 50 seconds in) provides an idea of just how good the singing can sound. With thousands of Albion fans singing the real words, the sheer impact at the Amex would be amazing.

Other posters – most recently, Jack Straw – have suggested some sort of meet-up where like-minded fans can get together and belt out our anthem properly. We'd like to kick this off informally, by getting people together at the Amex – over a pint or two of Harveys. Perhaps in the north-west corner concourse. Or, even better, in Dick's Bar, where the PA would certainly be put to good use.

But for now, the main thing is to gauge the level of interest. So, if this seems like something for you, please sign up below.

I`m in,i`ve been saying the same for ages.

DanielT

i hope we do get the whole stadium singing, and hopefully it's all singing the SAME words. a karaoke style version on the south stand screen (so the away fans cannot see it) seems the best option, because not everyone in the stadium is on NSC. not everyone buys a programme, 20000 songsheets will be useless with a sudden gust of wind!

the only thing everyone in the stadium can see (except the blind - braille version to come) is the south stand screen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here