Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea at the Amex – Want to Help?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Now is the time for marching
With Joy in your hearts all day...
William Ward-Higgs' genuine archaic lyrics are one thing. But to insert pretend archaic lyrics - "With Joy in your hearts all day?" – solely in order to avoid the word gay – is to invite serious ridicule.

As others have said, the words are the words. Anyone wanting to snigger at the word gay these days really doesn't belong in grown-up company. And certainly not in Brighton.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps the club could write the words up on the stadium concourses, in an arty-farty-mural type way, for those who don't know the words to have a bit of a gen up on prior to kick off.

MaggieT83

Oct 26, 2010
Pulborough

This this this with the last part being sung when the music cuts out by everyone at the correct pace would send shivers down my spine and make me proud.

At the moment the atmosphere is good but at the moment there's not enough variety of songs, with songs sung to fast and too many renditions of "we're the north stand/ west stand" I enjoy it a couple of times a game but after that its a bit sad.

Also from where I sit in West stand south end the north stand sounds extra loud for "we're the north stand" but for great songs like Brighton aces they don't hit the same level of noise.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This is easier to remember:

Now is the time for marching
With Joy in your hearts all day
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And make a lot of noise (or: and make some f***ing noise)
and we'll tell them all
that we stand or fall
for Sussex by the Sea

All together now...
Good old Sussex by the Sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

I think this is in the right direction.

I'm gonna get gunned down by the traditionalists here but:

1. The song, as a football song which defines our identity and is truly anthemic, needs to be re-written so that it is modernised (e.g. doesn't refer to "my boys", "merry bugles", "marching", "letting your voices ring" etc) in a way that appeals to as many fans as possible.
2. As a football song it should only be 1 verse long + chorus, simple so that people can remember it more easily and it should follow the rhythm of the original song
3. It should obviously retain the current tune for both verse and chorus because that is where the real identity and power of the song lies.

So.........

We are the mighty Albion
Sussex boys are we
We go to the Amex
In our city by the sea
And when we're there, we don't care
We make some f**king noise
And we tell them all
That we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea

All together now.....
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the Sea

or something similar!!!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm gonna get gunned down by the traditionalists here but: 1. The song said:
As a traditionalist, I couldn't disagree more. This is our song, the tune and the words. It is the Sussex anthem. It's unique to us. The words make many of us feel proud and emotional too.

If you listen to the old songs sung at other grounds, they use the original words, they don't feel the need to change them to appeal to anyone else, it defines them. The original words of Sussex by the Sea defines us as Brighton & Sussex supporters

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Now is the time for marching,
Lest we should fall today,
Victory to the Albion,
Past those in our way,
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take your time from me,
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Oh, Good old Sussex by the Sea,
Good old Sussex by the Sea,