Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea at the Amex – Want to Help?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree we need to get this sorted and we need to agree on a version. Personally I think one verse and two chorus's works best. My preferred version is this one:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take your time from me
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea

*MUSIC STOPS* - Crowd sing 'All together now'

(Accapella)
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

He posts infrequently but his words are wise. I'm with this gentleman. Or lady.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was in the north stand before sunderland and it sounded like alot of people wanted to join in, but were finding it hard. Just stick the words up on the screen and I'm confident people will join in, but we need to get more of the song, it cuts out to fast right now.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments. After more than 100 posts, it seems this is something that a lot of people want to make happen. And we will.

Having gone through everyone's suggestions, here's the version I'm now proposing for the fans' get-together. It's faithful to the original words first time round, but then finishes with a repeat of the refrain, but using the well-loved Albion version. First time, accompanied, and then, fans alone – in their thousands…

And it retains that all-important, emotion-stirring 'stand or fall' line.

One more point, "Oh we're going up TO win the cup” hasn't made much sense since 1983. It makes us sound like a bunch of yokels visiting the big city for the first time. Worst of all, it doesn't even scan properly. Now is the time to ditch it, in favour of “Oh we're going up AND we'll win the Cup”– our two current ambitions, surely?

So the suggestion for the fans' tryout session at the Amex is this: –

1st verse
Now is the time for marching, Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring my boys, And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Chorus
For we're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea
We plough and sow and reap and mow
And useful men are we
And when you go to Sussex, Whoever you may be
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

Albion Refrain
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
Oh we're going up And we'll win the Cup
For Sussex by the Sea!

Cut music – fans, now unaccompanied
Oh we're going up And we'll win the Cup
For Sussex by the Sea!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
For Sussex by the Sea!
The only thing is that we don't have enough music to include the chorus if we are gonna do this at the start of the game. The edited version played allows just Chorus 1 and the refrain...unless i am missing something, which is highly possible.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Good post Gilliver(remember Alan Gilliver)...surely the cup reference goes for winning the league as well as you get a cup. I'm in for the proper version though.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Great, let's get behind this version and wait for news from "Gilliver" about the next step in the campaign!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It seems to me that some people have delusions about how many people actually want to sing the words. Just because there is a 100 posts on an NSC thread, many by the same posters, that doesn't represent much in the grand scheme of a 20k crowd at the Amex. I'm not saying it won't happen if the words were on the screen but I doubt it very much.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
It seems to me that some people have delusions about how many people actually want to sing the words. Just because there is a 100 posts on an NSC thread, many by the same posters, that doesn't represent much in the grand scheme of a 20k crowd at the Amex. I'm not saying it won't happen if the words were on the screen but I doubt it very much.

:facepalm: from little acorns ... good job Gus has more enthusiasm and passion in his little finger than some peeps on here

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
we have giant screens. we should use them, have the words on the screen with a ball or words changing colour so the pace is right. to have a full stadium singing the full gosbts would be amazing. pls pls pls

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
we have giant screens. we should use them, have the words on the screen with a ball or words changing colour so the pace is right. to have a full stadium singing the full gosbts would be amazing. pls pls pls

That would be tragic, we are not at a karoake event!! Can you imagine the pisstaking from other clubs at the plasticness of it :facepalm:

Dandyman

In London village.
Please let this be a wind up. Having the PA organising singing before the game is embarrassing enough . Having the words to Gosbts on the screens would really make us look plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here