Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea at the Amex – Want to Help?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think we would really struggle to get the average punter (and some of them are decidedly average!) not to sing the 'going up' words at that point.

therein lies the problem - the "average punter" does not have a clue about the words to SBTS (or even much knowledge of the song and it's history..."WWI...eh? Is that a wrestling computer game or something?")

we definitely need the club involved and the words on the screens, at least to begin with, if this is going to happen...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We only get one verse now. They've changed it (for the better in my opinion). Plus it only really needs to last long enough for the teams to walk out and shake hands down the line.

I suggest:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take your time from me
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea

Good old Sussex by the Sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

Sorry need the STAND OR FALL bit

That final bit should be sung SLOWLY after the music stops (as suggested above)

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
Alternatively, why not take advantage of a new era to write a BRAND NEW verse, before the chorus?

Am warming to this idea. Originally I would have been against it but the whole idea of a new verse for a new era is definitely growing on me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Incorporate 'Stand or fall' into first verse:

Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
You may tell them all, that we'll stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea

For Sussex by the sea

*MUSIC STOPS* - Crowd sing 'All together now'

(Accapella)
For Sussex by the sea

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
we definitely need the club involved and the words on the screens, at least to begin with, if this is going to happen...

Sussex by the Sea

I've tried, although I'm not sure if insider got the wrong end of the stick, I'm saying this is AFTER Hey Jude - not replacing those bits

Maybe an email campaign is required - at least it will make a change from moaning about parking/trains/food

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry need the STAND OR FALL bit

That final bit should be sung SLOWLY after the music stops (as suggested above)

If we want to carry on singing when the music stops, they need to cut or fade the final fanfare.

However, without the music blasting out, I fear it will degenerate into the usual hand clapping gabbled race to the finish...

Good ole Sussbysea.. goingup...wincup...sussbysea.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sussex by the Sea

I've tried, although I'm not sure if insider got the wrong end of the stick, I'm saying this is AFTER Hey Jude - not replacing those bits

Maybe an email campaign is required - at least it will make a change from moaning about parking/trains/food
I agree that "the club" are misunderstanding at present - the Hey Jude stuff is great, and I love it that they have done such an outstandingly good job with the pre-match build up, but we are talking about a fairly simple but hugely significant enhancement to the singing of SBTS... keep all the good stuff and have the added wonderment of SBTS belted out by the whole Albion crowd

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
They've got to put it back to how it should be then. It is no good if we do not get to sing the 'you may tell them all, that we'll stand or fall' lines. Unless we replace the section before the (all together now) in your lyrics so it now reads:

Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
of Sussex by the Sea

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea

(All together now...)

Oh we're going up and we'll win the Cup
For Sussex by the Sea

Not sure if this fits though with the new version they are playing. I stand by what I said before though, they should play the original version so we can sing the first two verses as they have always been.

It seems the club aren't interested, unfortunately

Sussex by the Sea

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
The secret to the tempo is to BAN ALL CLAPPING from anywhere near this song.
Especially for any acapella version. It is the clapping that runs away with the timing because no-one can clap slowly! Massed singing is more effective without clapping, unlike sme chants that need it.
Secondly get the full version and acapella refrains out of the way BEFORE the teams come out. Then when they come out to the music we can cheer them and just sing the refrain(s). Difficult to sing and cheer at the same time. Liverpool used to have the full version of "You'll never...." before the teams came out, and it is only recently that they changed to running out during it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I much preferred it with two verses rather than two choruses. There's that really drammatic bit when it goes into the second verse and it's always been done like that!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It seems the club aren't interested, unfortunately

Sussex by the Sea
I think that "Insider" has a bias here probably along with those who are responsible for doing the music build-up... they have done a great job and deserve respect for their view, but THEY ARE WRONG...!!!! "Sussex By The Sea" is far more important than they seem to realise and has got huge potential for adding to the the club's identity and the fans' matchday experience

CAMPAIGN

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Would love to see this happen, we are one of the only clubs who have a song that relates directly to the area we from.

Would give us a real identity.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It was clear to see and hear that the East Stand on Tuesday were singing and clapping along to GOSBTS when it was played over the PA. The point being that it was the same speed as what was being played, and they stayed with it.
Perhaps the seed has been sown?
I like the idea of the music stopping, and the crowd taking over and singing the rest as happens at Anfield with You'll Never Walk Alone.
Count me in for anything that gets GOSBTS sung how it should.

Last edited:

So how about a minor adaptation to make it Albion, SCCC had a variant for cricket! Personally I am not keen on the 'Oh we're going up and we'll win the Cup' line as it detracts from the original which is to inspire unity and pride. I don't mind it a short burst chorus singalong but not really in keeping with the full fat song of unity.

Now is the time for marching,
Lest we should fall today,
Victory to the Albion,
Past those in our way,
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take your time from me,
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Oh, Good old Sussex by the Sea,
Good old Sussex by the Sea,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the sea.

Failing that everyone needs to get the words and speed (tempo, whatever it is called, correct) otherwise it sounds like a bunch of teenage boys hurriedly knocking one out.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I am very keen to do this and was posting about this only last week, the club is playing an abridged shorter version of the music and I and a few around me in the WSL will be giving it ago tomorrow, just to see if it fits with what’s played.

Long term we will all need to agree which verse we sing or it will sound a mess

My preferred verse is this one

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
Useful men are we:
So when you go from Sussex,
wherever you may be,
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Shouldn't we all agree on a 'final' version of the lyrics so we all sing the same thing? One that fits the abridged version that the club play or we will all be singing something different.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If there's only one verse, why not pick and choose the best bits of the song. Which IMHO would be the following:

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Altogether now...

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
I agree we need to get this sorted and we need to agree on a version. Personally I think one verse and two chorus's works best. My preferred version is this one:

Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
of Sussex by the Sea

For Sussex by the sea

*MUSIC STOPS* - Crowd sing 'All together now'

(Accapella)
For Sussex by the sea

Let's put the words on the screen for 3 or 4 matches and after that in the programme if needs be. We need the words on the screen for a bit so that everyone learns it but not for too long as it would be embarrassing to state that we can't learn the words to our anthem..

Shouldn't we all agree on a 'final' version of the lyrics so we all sing the same thing? One that fits the abridged version that the club play or we will all be singing something different.

DO you think NSC could ever achieve unity on one common theme? We cant even agree if the Harveys is flat, fizzy, too warm, too cool! Throw in the NSK and its carnage!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here