Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockport County - into admin

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Tit head, it was nothing to do with the club. It was a venture captial company called David Farms that forced the admin on County.
No need for insults. For all you know the directors could have told that company to force them into administration knowing that the deduction would come this season and not next

Somebody posted this on the stockport forum a few days ago (obviously planning ahead!).

Stockport County Supporters Messageboard: Administration! A bit of clarification...

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email.

Please find below an extract from League Regulations. The complete Regulations are contained in The League’s Handbook which is available to purchase from this office. A publications pro forma is attached which you should complete and return to The Football League Operations Centre, Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF, together with the appropriate remittance.

“12.3.1 With effect from the 10th May 2004, if any Club shall:-

a) have a manager, administrator, receiver or administrative receiver appointed in respect of that Club or any part of its undertaking or assets;
b) have an administration order made in respect of that Club;
c) have a winding-up order made in respect of that Club;
d) pass a resolution for the winding-up of that Club;
e) enter into any agreement with its creditors or some part of them in respect of the payment of its debts or part of them as a company voluntary arrangement under the Insolvency Act 1986 or Scheme or Arrangement under the Companies Act 1985; or
f) have any proceeding or step taken or any court order in any jurisdiction made which has substantially similar effect to any of the foregoing;

that Club shall be deducted 10 points.

12.3.2 Subject to the provisions of Regulation 12.3.3 below, where the Club takes or suffers such action as set out in Regulation 12.3.1.:-
a) during the Normal Playing Season, but prior to 5.00pm on the [fourth Thursday in March], the points deduction shall apply immediately;
b) during the Normal Playing Season, but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in Match, Regulation 12.3.3 shall apply; and
c) outside the Normal Playing Season, the points deduction shall apply in respect of the following Season such that the Club starts that Season on minus 10 points (including in the Football Conference if appropriate).

12.3.3 Where the circumstances set out in Regulation 12.3.2(b) apply and at the end of that Season, having regard to the number of championship points awarded (ignoring any potential deduction):-
a) the Club would be relegated in accordance with Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.3, the points deduction will apply in the next following Season (including in the Football Conference, if appropriate); or
b) the Club would not be relegated as aforesaid, the points deduction will apply in that Season and Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.3 will then apply (if appropriate) following imposition of the points deduction.”

We hope this is helpful.

Patricia Brown
Customer Service
The Football League
The Football League | Home | LATEST FIXTURES, RESULTS, TABLES, NEWS

The Football League Ltd. Registered Office - Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF. Registered No: 80612. Tel: 0844 463 1888. Fax: 0844 826 5188.
London Office - 30 Gloucester Place, London, W1U 8FL. Fax: 0844 826 3103

So, for some bizarre reason, the deduction only gets carried over if the team would be relegated without it.

Read post No76 it says it plain English and not Football League legal jargon!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But the football league were very clear regarding the imposition of the penalty when it came to Southampton; see
The Football League | News | Coca-Cola Championship | Coca-Cola Championship | SOUTHAMPTON FOOTBALL CLUB

So why not for Stockport, if what you say is correct (and I think it is). Someone at the FL has most definitely dropped the ball (yet again, surprise surprise) on this one.

Have the FL changed the criteria again ? , it definately wasn't for last season as numerous NSC threads have been written on this very subject. I'm 100% sure the ruling was clubs going into administration after the deadline faced the points deduction the following season if they were already relegated or it didn't affect promotion, play off spots or dropping into a relegation spot. :censored:

Last edited:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Did you read the statement from the club?
Yes I have and your point is? As you may be aware we have had statements like this released about Brighton in the past only to find out at a later date that the boards intent was less than honest. The point I am making is for a good part of this season Stockport have been on the brink (and to be honest you probably would not have made the start of next season without entering admin) and it just seems convenient that now you are safe you get the deductions now

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Lest we forget that whilst this points deduction is VERY unlikely to relegate Stockport, the number of league places they drop does affect their end of season prize money, so it's not a completely hollow gesture.

I am interested to know how it affects the team though. On the one hand they could be miserable and entirely not up for it so we roll them over BUT of course there's every chance that it fires them up to finish the season on a high. And we really don't want them beating us.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Humble apologies to Herbicide as it was in fact me who didn't understand the rules.

Seems like madness to me, though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The points will be deducted this season. The points would only be deducted next season if they were going to be relegated anyway this season - like S*uthampton.

Why would they declare that they need the administrators now then? Why not wait to see what the new season brings?

They will have 10 points deducted now.

If I am wrong, I will post a pic of myself kissing a photo of Alan Mullery on here.

Because they don't have the money to pay the bills and for the next 3 months the only income is from Season Ticket sales. Some or one of their creditiors doesn't want to wait.

You pick any member of the England national team, their monthly wage would have stopped this happening

Some players should remember where they came from to get where they are. I am not saying donating money, but just be more discreet about showing off how much they earn

A complete tosspot like Ashley Cole earns enough in a year that would probably have saved Southampton, Stockport, Darlington and Luton going into administration

The powers that be at The FA should do something about it, but they care more about how many step overs Ronaldo will do or how many times John Terry wins a header

I think the 10 points deduction is imposed immediately BUT suspended until all the results are in on Saturday , the FL will then announce after knowing what effect a points deduction will have in relation to relegation. The FL rules mean that a club going into administration after the cut off date will have points deducted if it affects promotion , play offs or relegation , failing that the deduction is carried over to the following season.

:clap:

No need for insults. For all you know the directors could have told that company to force them into administration knowing that the deduction would come this season and not next

I think he is right, you are a tit head. You need to be aware of the rules regarding pts deductions!!!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
In that case dick head why have you said EXACTLY the same thing as me on a previous thread?

I quote

"It's so simple. The basis is that you get penalised and therefore after the deadline, if you go into admin, the points are deducted in whichever season will have most detrimental effect. This season if the deduction takes you out of the play-offs/promotion or if it takes you into relegation. If neither then you've got a handicap at the start of next season."

If this is the case then why do the FL say the deduction is immediate?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They've sold about 750 tickets for the game on Saturday.

Will the Albion see the money? Or will we have to whistle for our £15,000?

The Stockport official website has an article saying they have sold over 800 and the remaining 75 tickets (total 890) are on sale until 2pm tomorrow. Do we get 10p in the £ ?

Lest we forget that whilst this points deduction is VERY unlikely to relegate Stockport, the number of league places they drop does affect their end of season prize money, so it's not a completely hollow gesture.

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case. While in the Premiership prize money is dependent upon league position, I remember reading an article stating that FL clubs forego this and just split the money equally, to make it easier when setting budgets etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can anyone tell me where else in life a "penalty" exists where the actual consequences are f*** ALL?

If you're not in the top 6 you might as well finish 20th for all the difference it makes. They're still in League 1 next year so it won't impact on season ticket sales.

In fact I'd almost go so far as to say the 10-point penalty is BENEFICIAL to Stockport in that it gives the club national publicity and is a reason for the supporters and community to rally round, making them stronger in adversity.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You pick any member of the England national team, their monthly wage would have stopped this happening

Some players should remember where they came from to get where they are. I am not saying donating money, but just be more discreet about showing off how much they earn

A complete tosspot like Ashley Cole earns enough in a year that would probably have saved Southampton, Stockport, Darlington and Luton going into administration

The powers that be at The FA should do something about it, but they care more about how many step overs Ronaldo will do or how many times John Terry wins a header

:bowdown: :bowdown::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm pretty sure that this is not the case. While in the Premiership prize money is dependent upon league position, I remember reading an article stating that FL clubs forego this and just split the money equally, to make it easier when setting budgets etc.

Well I'm pretty sure that's how it works in Football Manager!

Yes I have and your point is? As you may be aware we have had statements like this released about Brighton in the past only to find out at a later date that the boards intent was less than honest. The point I am making is for a good part of this season Stockport have been on the brink (and to be honest you probably would not have made the start of next season without entering admin) and it just seems convenient that now you are safe you get the deductions now

You know absolutely nothing about what has been happening at Stockport over the past few months and you have no f***ing idea quite how hard the board have been trying to salvage the disaster left by a now sacked ex md and an ex chairman. You have no idea how close County were to surviving and paying the entirity of their debts in full before a venture capital firm closely allied to the now sacked ex md and ex chairman forced us into admin this afternoon.

So please forgive me if I ignore your uneducated bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here