Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockport County - into admin

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Given that HMRC will always be the largest creditor they will always veto any attempt for them not to be first in line to be paid hence virtually no football club can come out of admin with a CVA in place that will satisfy HMRC.

It is something along the lines that the League rules state that footballing creditors (players) are paid up in full, but HMRC dispute this, saying they are the priority, so the clubs cannot stick to the League rules.

I think it is that FL rules state that clubs must exit administration via a CVA (Company Voluntary Arrangement), which is effectively an agreement between the club and its creditors. However, FL rules also state that all 'football debts' must be paid in full. HMRC disputes this, so as a matter of policy now votes against all CVAs, and generally is a sufficiently large creditor to stop the CVA being passed. As a result, clubs cannot exit administration through a CVA, in contravention of FL rules, so the clubs are docked a further 15 points.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is something along the lines that the League rules state that footballing creditors (players) are paid up in full, but HMRC dispute this, saying they are the priority, so the clubs cannot stick to the League rules.

Yep HMRC "as a matter of policy", will dispute a CVA if they have a reason to.

What needs to happen (I think), is they need to get rid of the "footballing" debts thing.

Clubs need to audited on a regular basis and if they havent really got the money to pay wages / transfer fees then the should be blocked form doing so.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's been on the cards for the last few months. Very sad state of affairs. If County disappear then it's bad for football in general, not just those of us that live here.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
As Mendo said..there are ssome fat cat players not to far away who earnt the same amount as County's debt in a week and a half!!

NOT THAT ANY PREMIERSHIP FANS WILL GIVE A FLYING JOT.

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
The points will be deducted this season. The points would only be deducted next season if they were going to be relegated anyway this season - like S*uthampton.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The points will be deducted this season. The points would only be deducted next season if they were going to be relegated anyway this season - like S*uthampton.

I dont think that is how it works. Losing 10 points this season means no penalty,because they cant go down. I guess we'll find out pretty soon, but my guess is that they will start next season on -10 or -25

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

That's good to hear... Definitely think we should have a whip around at the Withdean on Saturday. This means we could finish 15th, that would be a turn up for the books!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here