Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steward fractured my wrist

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I find it amazing that so many people on here think it's OK to break the law if hundreds of other people already have BUT when Steward 433 tried to justify breaking the law by speeding he got a very rough ride.

But are the police allowed to force you off the road so you crash the car

Cruel no but encouraging your child to break the LAW by entering the field of play could be considered irresponsible.

I find it amazing that so many people on here think it's OK to break the law if hundreds of other people already have BUT when Steward 433 tried to justify breaking the law by speeding he got a very rough ride.

Or is it a case of I'll break the laws I want to but critise those that break other laws ??

Actually, what law was actually broken? Isn't it a Football Regulation not to enter upon a football pitch and is not actually a law breaking act. That's why Clubs can only ban supportes!

Indeed trespass, without using force is also not an illegal activity.

Therefore there is actually no fair comapison to my mate's 433 speeding.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Actually, what law was actually broken? Isn't it a Football Regulation not to enter upon a football pitch and is not actually a law breaking act. That's why Clubs can only ban supportes!

Indeed trespass, without using force is also not an illegal activity.

Therefore there is actually no fair comapison to my mate's 433 speeding.

It is an arrestable offence to enter the field of play while the act of trepass isn't. Hence enetring the field of play or going on the pitch is against the law.

It's either in the Football Spectators Act 1989 or the Football [ Offences and Disorder Act ] 1999 - can't remember which and can't be bothered to read either to find out.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wrong place, wrong time. Shouldn't let it get you down.

WalsallFan

Sep 20, 2008
After taking one very heavy big thump from a steward during the pitch invasion I later had to go to A&E where it was found i'd fractured my wrist.
Is this is what 'keeping football safe' requires? I want the number of the Steward and want him banned from football, I can't believe I deserved an injury for entering a pitch with already thousands on it. He also pounded my head into the floor after grappling me.
I'm curious into finding out if anyone else had a similar story after such a great night of football?

I haven't read all this thread but I have read the above post and there is nothing in which you can do, you stepped onto an area in which you are not allowed to go onto, you can go the police, club etc. as much as you want and the end result will be that you get a sorry from the steward and a ban from the club football matches and a fine.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I haven't read all this thread but I have read the above post and there is nothing in which you can do, you stepped onto an area in which you are not allowed to go onto, you can go the police, club etc. as much as you want and the end result will be that you get a sorry from the steward and a ban from the club football matches and a fine.

so what next, a steward can kill you - reasonable force does NOT equal a broken wrist

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
so what next, a steward can kill you - reasonable force does NOT equal a broken wrist

Agreed but I suspect we're not hearing the whole story - at a guess I would imagine The Truth attempted to resist the steward removing him from the pitch and slipped. It would take some force to break somebodys wrist by holding on to it if the person wasn't putting up a fight.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I was chatting to one of the stewards at Mill Road P&R after the game and he was telling me that they are not actually allowed to restrain people. The can block your path and bar the way, but they are told they are not actually allowed to lay a hand on you. Wonder if that's true?

I stopped my son from running onto the pitch last night - tempting though it was because I too remember all to well the FA's view of this. Best case? A fine which we can ill afford. Worst case? Game replayed or next round behind closed doors.

I can understand why people ran on - but I absolutely don't condone it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I was chatting to one of the stewards at Mill Road P&R after the game and he was telling me that they are not actually allowed to restrain people. The can block your path and bar the way, but they are told they are not actually allowed to lay a hand on you. Wonder if that's true?

I stopped my son from running onto the pitch last night - tempting though it was because I too remember all to well the FA's view of this. Best case? A fine which we can ill afford. Worst case? Game replayed or next round behind closed doors.

The stewards outside the ground and I guess they might be covered by different rules but those inside the ground can use "reasonable" force. This means restraint as well. I trained as one of the original stewards when we started at Withdean and it was run by two ex-Welsh Guards. We spent one whole session on restraint and protecting ourselves from violence.

The steward would have to prove that the force used was reasonable if a complaint was made.

Thankfully I prefer to watch the matches now as a paying spectator now!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

It could be true, but more importantly as Beach Hut said his son was rugby tackled twice, that is Child Abuse under child protection rules which is club must leagally have a poilcy for.

It is an arrestable offence to enter the field of play while the act of trepass isn't. Hence enetring the field of play or going on the pitch is against the law.

It's either in the Football Spectators Act 1989 or the Football [ Offences and Disorder Act ] 1999 - can't remember which and can't be bothered to read either to find out.

fINE

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Bit quick to shoot from the hip there Danny. You're young so you probably won't remember this. But in the dark days of 1996 when Brighton were fighting just to stay in the football league and when we had no ground - even one as crappy as Withdean - the Brighton fans ran onto the pitch at Lincoln. The FA deducted 2 points, we appealed and lost.

He's not a tit to suggest that people remember that. The FA could still decide to take action.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
After taking one very heavy big thump from a steward during the pitch invasion I later had to go to A&E where it was found i'd fractured my wrist.
Is this is what 'keeping football safe' requires? I want the number of the Steward and want him banned from football, I can't believe I deserved an injury for entering a pitch with already thousands on it. He also pounded my head into the floor after grappling me.
I'm curious into finding out if anyone else had a similar story after such a great night of football?

as a steward, my advice is forget that the truth went on to the pitch as it was exceptional standards, and the only way that it was not going to happen was if city won. My point being If indeed your wrist has been damaged then it is excessive force and should be reported to the club with the description of the steward,it brings a bad name to those of us who do the job properly.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Anyone can use reasonable force if their physical safety is threatened. If a steward was being attacked on the job he would be allowed to restarin someone.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
as a steward, my advice is forget that the truth went on to the pitch as it was exceptional standards, and the only way that it was not going to happen was if city won. My point being If indeed your wrist has been damaged then it is excessive force and should be reported to the club with the description of the steward,it brings a bad name to those of us who do the job properly.

What is your opening remark going to be? "When I ran onto the pitch with my six year old son last night........." Cue ban.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not a good thing to run on the pitch ordinarily, but the steward where we were ran down and opened the gate.. which I must admit at the time seemed like an invite with so many people pouring on to the grass.

Regardless of whether people should be on the pitch or not, there's no excuse for excessive force - most would probably just go back to the stand if they're asked nicely, especially someone with their six year old in tow.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

well put

if it was just one person going onto the pitch at the end of a normal game, then maybe the force could be justified

fact of the matter is the withdean had just seen one of its greatest ever evenings, thousands of people were going onto the pitch to CELEBRATE this fact, yet some moron of a steward obviously without a crumb of common sense decided to fracture somebodies arm

id report the bastard to the club straight away - absolutely no need for it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here