Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell RESIGNS!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They were all still his choice to walk away, regardless of the circumstances. When you've copped out as much as Coppell the situation is bound to change slightly in each example. He's still legged it at the first opportunity though. And to think some people actually wanted him as England manager. We may as well have just set up cameras in a mental asylum and all watched on as someone suffered a breakdown.

So he's made some questionable decisions in his managerial career & suffered when he's found himself under intense pressure. So f***ing what? He's still been both successful & highly respected in the game. And what experience have you had exactly - other than to watch a few football matches & love the sound of your own cocky-wee-shite voice? I can only see one absolute prick as you spout your largely unsubstantiated bile against Steve Coppell (et al): & they sure as hell haven't just tendered their resignation at Bristol City today.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Thank f*** he tuned us down before we appointed Lord Gus.

What a strange turn of events. But then he is a very very strange man.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Keith Millen appointed manager on 3-year deal...

Seems Coppell leaving when he did was a pre-planned move and Bristol City had time to line up a replacement, so was it Coppell deciding to go or was he being pushed? It could also have been due to something like ill health either his or a member of his family, but something he didn't want to make public?

Maybe there was a clash of personalities in the boardroom or dressing room? or just that Coppell just found that he no longer had a passion and no longer felt motivated to manage a team and decided the time was right to retire? after all he always said that before taking the Bristol City job that he would manage just one more team before retirinig anyway, maybe he has enough money not to need to carry on so he didn't need to work for the sake of it?

To suggest it was due to him bottling it after a few weeks seems a bit far fetched, what pressure would there have been that would have made it too unbearable after just a week of the season? surely if it was pressure, it would have been much later when results and points mattered a lot more.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
People forget he's been in management for over 26 years, that's a long time.

Maybe he fancies the England job?!

It's all rather strange though. He knew what he was letting himself in for, so why take the job in the first place?

It's tricky to judge which keeper's career is going down the tubes faster - David James or Rob Green.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Have you considered that he is so good that clubs didn't sack him, even after a bad season and that he didn't think he could do any more for these clubs, so resigned? I accept the two City's are blemishes on his cv, but his overall record is excellent. The fact that fans from most of the clubs he's managed still respect him speaks volumes imo.

An honourable man imo who was arguably the best manager that this club has had since I started watching them in 1975

Word. A good man.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
People forget he's been in management for over 26 years, that's a long time.

Maybe he fancies the England job?!

It's all rather strange though. He knew what he was letting himself in for, so why take the job in the first place?

It's tricky to judge which keeper's career is going down the tubes faster - David James or Rob Green.

Can't be bothered to try and find it, but he said in an interview a few years back that theres no way in hell he'd ever want the England job, but would fancy international management for a country along the lines of Republic of Ireland (the specific example he gave) - a decent shot at qualifying and having success, reasonable expectations from the public, consistent support (unless you are Steve Staunton) and a respect for your private life.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My point is that people are talking about him as someone who is a serial quitter because he can't hack the pressure.

Yes, he has left clubs in the past, but the only ones he's left for mysterious reasons are Man City and now Bristol City. He left Palace on one occasion because they'd been relegated, and I think was more or less sacked at one stage. Loads of managers leave when their clubs go down, Coppell's no different: he just seems to jump before he's pushed. On another occasion he quit because the board were screwing him about (it's Palace, no surprise there). He left the Albion because a better opportunity came up at Reading. He left Reading after several years because they got relegated, which most managers would do in the circumstances (either that or wait to get sacked). I think he left Brentford for financial reasons, but probably also because Ron Noades was in charge at the time and was being his usual utter buffoon self.

All I'm saying is that some people appear to be trying to brand him some kind of head case who crumbles and walks out all the time because he can't handle the stress, when in fact the only time that has actually been documented is at City. And possibly now at Bristol. The rest all look like footballing reasons to me.

I know he left us in disappointing- if understandable- circumstances, but since his spell as Albion boss, I have never felt anything other than respect for Steve Coppell. He's continued to be supportive of the Albion, particularly the fight for Falmer, ever since, and he comes across as a thoroughly nice, not to mention honourable bloke, regardless of his Palace connections.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Coppell speaking just over a year ago - it's on the BBC website:

"I am of an advancing age now and I am conscious of my health and fitness,"

"No-one forces us to do this job. If it's affecting your health badly then get out - life is more important."

Fair enough.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He should take one of those Middle East jobs, club or national. Tax free dosh, no pressure, unquestioning respect for an English manager, good weather.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I know he left us in disappointing- if understandable- circumstances, but since his spell as Albion boss, I have never felt anything other than respect for Steve Coppell. He's continued to be supportive of the Albion, particularly the fight for Falmer, ever since, and he comes across as a thoroughly nice, not to mention honourable bloke, regardless of his Palace connections.

Absolutely. He is one of the good guys.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At least it's taken the non-story of Capello not picking the pensioner Beckham off the headlines

:lolol:

So true....what a load of crap that was, as if Beckham would have actually been any use to England at 35 and after a pinged achilles :rolleyes:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thank f*** he tuned us down before we appointed Lord Gus.

What a strange turn of events. But then he is a very very strange man.

Hello?, excuse me?, is anyone at home?. Can you tell me what your 'Lord Gus' has achieved in the game as a manager yet?, championship?, promotion?, cup winners medals?. A grand total of none l thiink you wil find.

Yes l like Gus, and l think he may well prove to be quite a successful manager in time, but not yet!.

Steve Coppell on the other hand is a complete legend in the game, and in my opinion at least, the best manager this club has ever had, certainly in the 25 years that l've been supporting them.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Hello?, excuse me?, is anyone at home?. Can you tell me what your 'Lord Gus' has achieved in the game as a manager yet?, championship?, promotion?, cup winners medals?. A grand total of none l thiink you wil find.

Yes l like Gus, and l think he may well prove to be quite a successful manager in time, but not yet!.

Steve Coppell on the other hand is a complete legend in the game, and in my opinion at least, the best manager this club has ever had, certainly in the 25 years that l've been supporting them.

Think you missed the point of the post. Would hazard a guess that he meant Poyet is committed and wants to be hear but Coppell has now pretty much said he he has had enough of management and so if he had been appointed when it was talk about he might have quit and left us up shit creek.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just resent the man for walking away after his failures and on to better things.

I would love to walk away from my failures and onto better things, imagine trading in that trainee hairdresser from Colchester I once had for Cameron Diaz, that would be a f***ing RESULT

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Think you missed the point of the post. Would hazard a guess that he meant Poyet is committed and wants to be hear but Coppell has now pretty much said he he has had enough of management and so if he had been appointed when it was talk about he might have quit and left us up shit creek.

Who knows whether he would of quit or not, none of us are psychic, my point was simply that Coppell has actually achieved in managaement, Gus hasnt ... yet.

And l think to call him 'Lord Gus', is ever so slightly ott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here