Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell RESIGNS!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
1) We were FIVE points from safety with 34 matches to play when he took over. If that's doomed then I give up here and now.

2) We finished FOUR points from safety. You could argue the extent of his success here was improving us by one point, compared to those around us.

Edit: We actually finished five points from safety. So scrap that moment of praise for Mr Mediocrity.

Yeah but he turned up to a couple of Falmer marches on the seafront so it's compulsary to have an NSC wankathon about him :sick:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
1) We were FIVE points from safety with 34 matches to play when he took over. If that's doomed then I give up here and now.

2) We finished FOUR points from safety. You could argue the extent of his success here was improving us by one point, compared to those around us.

Edit: We actually finished five points from safety. So scrap that moment of praise for Mr Mediocrity.

He took over a side who had lost 10 straight games and won us 41 points in 34 games. That's 1.2 points a game, enough for 55 and 16th Place over 46 games. If he'd had the summer to prepare us and get his players in I have no doubts we could have done even better than that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
IF.

I'm talking about facts.

As a poster above says, the rumour got out he didn't really want to go and he wormed back in with the Falmer marches and all of a sudden he's gone from failure to hero. Some of us set our standards higher I'm afraid.

He left us the following season top of league one. If we'd kept up that points per game ratio we'd have won the league with 92 points. Yeah its a big if but the only fact that matters is he took a side on it knee's, crusing towards the most embarassing season in our history and gave us some hope and made us a better team. You can choose to ignore that if you wish but I think you'll find youre in the minority.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some of us set our standards higher I'm afraid.

Ah yes, high standards.

Can you remind us which NSC poster wished this upon one of our players

f*** Off and die..............slowly

By all means put forward a constructive argument as to why Steve Coppell was not a good manager, but please don't claim the moral high ground with your history of snide and vitriolic remarks.

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
Have you considered that he is so good that clubs didn't sack him, even after a bad season and that he didn't think he could do any more for these clubs, so resigned? I accept the two City's are blemishes on his cv, but his overall record is excellent. The fact that fans from most of the clubs he's managed still respect him speaks volumes imo.

An honourable man imo who was arguably the best manager that this club has had since I started watching them in 1975

Here, here! But then some people can't tell a good from bad manager. Speaks volumes!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We didn't do too badly at the tail end of the season, but the telling point was Stoke beating us and then Reading playing a much weakened team against Stoke for the final game of the season.

Coppell gave us hope. We were favourites to get relegated. We had 4 points from the first 14 games and we were in with a chance of staying up.

Describing him as a failure and a bottlejob is disrespectful in my opinion.

We were not ready for the Championship then. If Zamora had been 100% fit from the start to the finish then I reckon Hinshelwood would not have had such a rough ride and we may have stayed up anyway.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At least my comments are aimed at public figures that are the subject of the debate rather than as an analysis of other nsc'ers that I don't even know, something you seem to excel in (ie above).

and that justifies "f*** off and die...........slowly" aimed at Andrew Whing or Kerry Mayo I seem to recall.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think this is more about the popularity of managers than their ability. For example, Russell Slade is one of my favourite albion managers, but if I'm being honest he's probably near the worst in terms of skill.

I dunno about that. I would fully agree with you about Slade.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think this is more about the popularity of managers than their ability. For example, Russell Slade is one of my favourite albion managers, but if I'm being honest he's probably near the worst in terms of skill.

Worse than Hinshelwood, Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here