Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You may have had a point about 200 years ago Vlad, but slavery was abolished in Britain in the 1830s. As for the Middle East, I travel there regularly and the only thing said about English is that it is a great way for people of all countries to communicate. and what treatment of the developing world are you talking about. All talk about debt relief and fair trade seems to be coming from Blair, Brown and Britain.

Dont throw the baby out with the bath water Vladster

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
shingle said:
You may have had a point about 200 years ago Vlad, but slavery was abolished in Britain in the 1830s. As for the Middle East, I travel there regularly and the only thing said about English is that it is a great way for people of all countries to communicate. and what treatment of the developing world are you talking about. All talk about debt relief and fair trade seems to be coming from Blair, Brown and Britain.

Maybe slavery was abolished in the 1830s but the results of it are still ongoing. Britain cannot abolish something and wash its hands of the aftermath.

The treatment of the developing world that has just resulted in Wal-Mart being sued over its use of sweatshops to keep prices down - which is just as true of many other chains in the US and the UK.

If you think all talk about debt relief is coming from Britain, you need to get out more. It may be what gets most coverage in the home news but that doesn't mean it is so.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Vlad the Impala said:
Maybe slavery was abolished in the 1830s but the results of it are still ongoing. Britain cannot abolish something and wash its hands of the aftermath.

Where would you rather be vlad, a malaria ridden village in the Gambia or tucked up in Hove, but on a serious level its all rather tedious and I'm afraid you're just gonna have to self loath for the both of us

:eek:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Btw the statue is only there for 2 years and then another competition will be held to see what else can go there.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
shingle said:
Vlad the Impala said:

Where would you rather be vlad, a malaria ridden village in the Gambia or tucked up in Hove, but on a serious level its all rather tedious and I'm afraid you're just gonna have to self loath for the both of us

:eek:

I'm not loathing, I'm just pointing out that your condemnation of Meade's Ball as an idiot was way off the mark. His comment had a lot more validity than your responses, which were weak at best.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
shes a regular down east street,goes to the galleries their and often see her in gluttons,remarkable lady end of

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Yorkie said:
Btw the statue is only there for 2 years and then another competition will be held to see what else can go there.

That plastic effort is due to go up in 2007?

Vlad the Impala said:

The treatment of the developing world that has just resulted in Wal-Mart being sued over its use of sweatshops to keep prices down - which is just as true of many other chains in the US and the UK.

If you think all talk about debt relief is coming from Britain, you need to get out more. It may be what gets most coverage in the home news but that doesn't mean it is so.

Oh I think we can, on the Slavery issue I assume you will will also want to include most European countries that had slaves at one point in time, most north african and middle eastern countries, japan, china and probably most of the rest of the world.

LC

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Calling said:
Oh I think we can, on the Slavery issue I assume you will will also want to include most European countries that had slaves at one point in time, most north african and middle eastern countries, japan, china and probably most of the rest of the world.

LC
The worse slave traders were the Arabs

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
London Calling said:

LC

You are missing the point. How can we possibly wring our hands in agonised repentance if we recognise that we are not the only people in the world to subjugate others? The English language is bad because it has been forced on everyone as a world language, our history shows us to be oppressive nation-destroyers rather than explorers and builders, and the present time shows us to be a nationalistic, racist nation who want nothing more than to force ourselves on third world countries and exploit them rather than give their corrupt leadership aid and allow their oppressed to come here to be safe.

Then again, it could simply be a load of left-wing apologist bollocks, spouted by those who see themselves as part of the oppressed by virtue of race, colour, creed or birth, but failing that, a forced empathy with these nations that they can discuss at dinner parties whilst they play their "world music" CDs and gaze lovingly at their ethnically decorated flats.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
London Calling said:

Indeed I would. It all depends where you are. Go to Latin America and Spanish is the language of oppression to many people. Parts of Africa, it is French. Etc etc. That, however, doesn't negate the fact that in many parts of the world, English is very much the language of oppression. You cannot excuse yourself by saying a lot of other people did it as well.

HampshireSeagulls said:
I think we should have a statue of Margaret Thatcher there. Preferably stamping on the head of some white-rasta braided, unwashed, balaclava wearing poll tax rioting rent-a-mob lowlife.
I seem to recall that the poll tax rioters included a considerable number of Daily Mail readers from the suburbs.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
HampshireSeagulls said:
You are missing the point. How can we possibly wring our hands in agonised repentance if we recognise that we are not the only people in the world to subjugate others? The English language is bad because it has been forced on everyone as a world language, our history shows us to be oppressive nation-destroyers rather than explorers and builders, and the present time shows us to be a nationalistic, racist nation who want nothing more than to force ourselves on third world countries and exploit them rather than give their corrupt leadership aid and allow their oppressed to come here to be safe.

Then again, it could simply be a load of left-wing apologist bollocks, spouted by those who see themselves as part of the oppressed by virtue of race, colour, creed or birth, but failing that, a forced empathy with these nations that they can discuss at dinner parties whilst they play their "world music" CDs and gaze lovingly at their ethnically decorated flats.

Erm not sure I follow all that but we have built more schools and hospitals around the world than any other nation albeit missionary ones.

In Athens an English qualification is necessary to obtain a job.
Why? Have we ever subjugated the Greeks?
No. It is because they value the currency of tourism.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Yorkie said:
Erm not sure I follow all that but we have built more schools and hospitals around the world than any other nation albeit missionary ones.

In Athens an English qualification is necessary to obtain a job.
Why? Have we ever subjugated the Greeks?
No. It is because they value the currency of tourism.

Sorry - I was using the nasty oppressive English language in a sarcastic manner - I will beat myself soundly and apologise.

I meant that some people are determined to hold us up as nasty white/English devils oppressing third world countries, conveniently ignoring everything that we have actually done for them. Education, Infrastructure, Commerce, etc. They seem to think that we should be eternally apologetic, never putting behind us everything that we have done but forever feeling shame for our mistakes.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
HampshireSeagulls said:

I meant that some people are determined to hold us up as nasty white/English devils oppressing third world countries, conveniently ignoring everything that we have actually done for them. Education, Infrastructure, Commerce, etc. They seem to think that we should be eternally apologetic, never putting behind us everything that we have done but forever feeling shame for our mistakes.

Yes I know what you mean. We have experience of Kenya where the only schools are ones that have been built by churches and teach in Swahili and English.
I also have friends in Athens that run an English school so I know the qualification requirement is true.

Vlad the Impala said:
Indeed I would. It all depends where you are. Go to Latin America and Spanish is the language of oppression to many people. Parts of Africa, it is French. Etc etc. That, however, doesn't negate the fact that in many parts of the world, English is very much the language of oppression. You cannot excuse yourself by saying a lot of other people did it as well.

Oh yes I can.

I don't buy the language of repression thing.

Peru had one of the developed cultures in the world before the Spanish destroyed it. But the Inca's enslaved other people! Before the Spanish enslaved them. To hold Power meant to behold and subjugate the people.

Peruvian have had 100 years to put forward its own native languages and drop Spanish.

The same is with all of the UK old colonies. If they want to eradicate English out of their systems they can.

I think it is ignorant to believe, that if English was not the dominant language that another one would not be replacing it.

Our history has shown that over time, cultures have constantly developed and swamped other people, races and languages.

The great Country of culture of ancient Greece was really a bunch of warring city states, who for a while were dominated by the least cultural city state the Spartans, who just happened to be the best warriors, thugs, murderers and enslavers of that time.

Sad but unfortunately true.

LC

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
Sorry - I was using the nasty oppressive English language in a sarcastic manner - I will beat myself soundly and apologise.

People don't realise how STUPID imperialism is/was still. Bit sad that.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
People don't realise how STUPID imperialism is/was still. Bit sad that.

All that history compressed into one word - "stupid". Incredible.

Imperialism may look "stupid" from today's point of view, but at the time it was part and parcel of a much wider picture (control of shipping routes, exploration, and yes, wealth acquisition to pay for more exploration, conquests, etc). The defence of the country, and it's interests, was dependant on keeping open shipping and logistics routes through countries, and using the local labour. Yes, it was slavery, but we were not the only people to do it - why do some people insist on pointing out our history of oppression whilst conveniently ignoring how other races, even today, carry out the same oppression and subjugation?

The only "stupidity" is parrotting the PC-party line in holding us up as the guilty nation when you are not willing to look equally critically at other nations and races.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
HampshireSeagulls said:
All that history compressed into one word - "stupid". Incredible.

Imperialism may look "stupid" from today's point of view, but at the time it was part and parcel of a much wider picture (control of shipping routes, exploration, and yes, wealth acquisition to pay for more exploration, conquests, etc). The defence of the country, and it's interests, was dependant on keeping open shipping and logistics routes through countries, and using the local labour. Yes, it was slavery, but we were not the only people to do it - why do some people insist on pointing out our history of oppression whilst conveniently ignoring how other races, even today, carry out the same oppression and subjugation?

The only "stupidity" is parrotting the PC-party line in holding us up as the guilty nation when you are not willing to look equally critically at other nations and races.

Well said.
As posted before, the worse slave traders were the Arabs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here