Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
The figures in Trafalgar Square are not works of art, rather monuments to monumental people who rose to the challenge of the time. It is not a proper place for contemporary and transient "art" or crap as these two pieces appear to be.

The Daily Telegraph today gives a perfect candidate for the unused plinth. R. J. Mitchell who designed the Spitfire and many other aircraft, has never been honoured for his singular contribution. In fact, it would also be a monument to all those who faught in the Battle of Brittain - a more recent Trafalgar - and thus wholly appropriate for that spot.

Art should be in galleries where we don't have to see it. :lolol:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
London Calling said:
[/B]Interestingly there is no memorial or real honours given to Mitchell who designed the Spitfire.

This plane insured our superioty over the Germans in WW2. Was th spitfire a weapon of war or of protection?

LC [/B]

That was serendipity :dunce:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Downloaded Penguin said:
It's the one they plan to replace this one with...

Oh come on.
thomas_schutte_03_detail_1.jpg
thomas_schutte_03_detail_2.jpg
thomas_schutte_03_detail_3.jpg
thomas_schutte_03_detail_4.jpg

And Kinky, I don't think this is "crap"

marc_quinn_03_detail_1.jpg
marc_quinn_03_detail_2.jpg
marc_quinn_03_detail_3.jpg
marc_quinn_03_detail_4.jpg

isnt art about opinions?

or are you an art nazi?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Yes it's about opinions but at least make them constructive opinions. If it's "crap" WHY is it crap?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Tooting Gull said:
Well...not really. Not if you were the one on the end of the bullet. Or, by contrast, the one here who can largely say and do what they want.

I know i keep harping on about it, but i am not allowed to demonstrate outside Parliament any more. There's something i consider a freedom that's recently been taken away from me. No, i'm not jailed and i'm not in stocks being pelted with stones, but that shouldn't stop me from demanding or expecting what i consider to be fundamental rights. As i have no political party representative of my views, my role in a democracy is limited and further restricted by such regulations. It's not something i appreciate.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Faldo said:
So you should always want more, and those that have nothing should sort themselves out?

Er, i don't know where you got that from. Everyone should have the same amount of freedom. I would and have demonstrated for other people's rights. Much moreso than my own as i am fairly comfortable.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Meade's_Ball said:
I know i keep harping on about it, but i am not allowed to demonstrate outside Parliament any more. There's something i consider a freedom that's recently been taken away from me. No, i'm not jailed and i'm not in stocks being pelted with stones, but that shouldn't stop me from demanding or expecting what i consider to be fundamental rights. As i have no political party representative of my views, my role in a democracy is limited and further restricted by such regulations. It's not something i appreciate.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that - and also believe that 'freedom' is not just the right to not get shot for criticising people. Which, on the face of it, shouldn't be that huge a privilege.

If you're interested in that sort of thing (and I am), we are entering a very tricky phase of 'freedoms vs rights', mainly prompted by the terrorist threat.

I suspect that the human rights lawyer lobby are about to take a bit of a battering on a number of fronts from the Home Office, who would rather cop a bit of flak from some Guardian readers than preside over another suicide bombing on their watch.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
Don't get me wrong, I understand that - and also believe that 'freedom' is not just the right to not get shot for criticising people. Which, on the face of it, shouldn't be that huge a privilege.

If you're interested in that sort of thing (and I am), we are entering a very tricky phase of 'freedoms vs rights', mainly prompted by the terrorist threat.

I suspect that the human rights lawyer lobby are about to take a bit of a battering on a number of fronts from the Home Office, who would rather cop a bit of flak from some Guardian readers than preside over another suicide bombing on their watch.

Yeah it's a dangerous time. The judiciary have neither the will nor the power to intervene any more. Police stop and search powers have already alienated large groups of people. And they will continue to do so. Talk ought to be of how we bridge divides rather than how our iron fists will crush the non or over-believers. It scares me.

Anyway, it's time to go home.
Sleep well.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
I have no problem with a statue of her at all, however I think it is a bit daft putting it in a piece of land, ie Trafalgar Square that is a monument to our Military history.

Why not put it outside one of the museums, the tate Modern as an example, after all it is "art" isn't it. It doesn't commemorate anything?

I agree. An art gallery or the Tate is an ideal place for this statue.

Trafalgar Square is to commemorate the Battle of Trafalgar won by Lord Nelson (and other Admirals like Keppel and Anson) fighting against the tyrant Napoleon (so we didn't start this one - for the peace brigrade)
It is important that we remember history so that it shouldn't ever be repeated. Unfortunately those lessons aren't always learned.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Yorkie said:
I agree. An art gallery or the Tate is an ideal place for this statue.

Trafalgar Square is to commemorate the Battle of Trafalgar won by Lord Nelson (and other Admirals like Keppel and Anson) fighting against the tyrant Napoleon (so we didn't start this one - for the peace brigrade)
It is important that we remember history so that it shouldn't ever be repeated. Unfortunately those lessons aren't always learned.

Fair point Yorkie. What about the second statue they intend to inflict on us...made of PERSPEX, for the love of God.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Downloaded Penguin said:
Fair point Yorkie. What about the second statue they intend to inflict on us...made of PERSPEX, for the love of God.

I'd melt that.

That ranks alongside unmade beds and calves in formaldehyde.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Can ANYONE defend it?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
London Irish said:
Isn't Alison Lapper from Shoreham?
Indeed she is LI. Lives (or lived) on Shm Beach. We used to pick her up in the taxis quite a lot. Paints with her feet.

Yorkie said:

Not sure what lessons we can learn from the Napoleonic wars - imperialistic wars where you invade other countries are stoopid? You're right, lesson not learnt there!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
Not sure what lessons we can learn from the Napoleonic wars - imperialistic wars where you invade other countries are stoopid? You're right, lesson not learnt there!

Never invade Russia in winter. Hitler should have learned that one.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Come on people, it's just a bit of armless fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here