Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Richard Whiteley said:
I love the way it's always us against the world. Never did any of that invading nonsense ourselves did we. Like MB says, why do we have to have be so obsessed with a world long gone where everyone was trying to get one over the other? And so f***ing what if we didn't grow up speaking English? It's only a f***ing language, composed of other European languages and constantly changing anyway. That's what languages do.

So the English language you speak isn't important to you? It's precisely what makes us English and defines our culture, along with a love of freedom.

Maybe we should all just do what the f*** we feel like all of the time and not give a shit about anything or anyone?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Richard Whiteley said:
what? I know you're dyslexic, even if it has been exposed, but I'm still confused.

Is Multiculti a word?

And if you were using it as a noun how does that work?

For example 'my cheese feelings'...doesn't make sense.

You really are running before you can walk aren't you?

It does as an inversion/contraction of "my feelings for cheese".

ie - "My feelings for cheese are ambivalent" which can be inverted/contracter to "My cheese feelings are ambivalent".

Anyway, weren't we rambling on about how the English language changes, and is only a bastardised version of loads of contributory European languages, and shouldn't we all get over the fact that we shouldn't be celebrating our warmongering, culturally oppressive past? In which case, Looney is perfectly correct in his truncation of the word "Multiculturalism" to a more text-friendly "multiculti".

Well done Looney!

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
So the English language you speak isn't important to you? It's precisely what makes us English and defines our culture, along with a love of freedom.

Maybe we should all just do what the f*** we feel like all of the time and not give a shit about anything or anyone?

English is very important to me and so is the culture.
your second paragraph refers to all the youngsters of today doesnt it :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My first impression of this statue was that it had already been vandalised. How wrong I was.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Its a crap piece of art. I don't know what the woman is supposed to have done appart from being on television, having a baby and trying to buy my mothers house. I'm not even sure what sort of statement it makes, another unmarried mother only this one is armless and legless?

Very urban, very ugly and very media it does nothing for the majority of forgotten disabled. A statue a 35 year old man with cerebral palsy, epilepsy, spastic quadriplegia and diabetes would be a real challenge. But no-one is interested in hopeless lost causes are they?

Prof Hawking is a truly great person and Douglas Bader would also be a good candidate for that location or, as mentioned earlier, Simon Weston.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
chip said:
Its a crap piece of art. I don't know what the woman is supposed to have done appart from being on television, having a baby and trying to buy my mothers house. I'm not even sure what sort of statement it makes, another unmarried mother only this one is armless and legless?

Very urban, very ugly and very media it does nothing for the majority of forgotten disabled. A statue a 35 year old man with cerebral palsy, epilepsy, spastic quadriplegia and diabetes would be a real challenge. But no-one is interested in hopeless lost causes are they?

Prof Hawking is a truly great person and Douglas Bader would also be a good candidate for that location or, as mentioned earlier, Simon Weston.

f***ing home run :eek: :eek: :clap:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Why do people feel so threatened by a statue of a disabled woman? It's not even going to be there permanently.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As a work of art it leaves me unmoved, more a case of statement over talent, like Tracy Emin.

However, anything that upsets the narrow-minded Daily Mail-reading masses of Middle England is just great with me. So I'd consider it a rousing success. We need more pieces like it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It's the one they plan to replace this one with...
The second work, Thomas Schuette's "Hotel for the Birds", a multi-coloured perspex statue in the form of an architectural model, will take over the plinth in April 2007.

Oh come on.
thomas_schutte_03_detail_1.jpg
thomas_schutte_03_detail_2.jpg
thomas_schutte_03_detail_3.jpg
thomas_schutte_03_detail_4.jpg

And Kinky, I don't think this is "crap"

marc_quinn_03_detail_1.jpg
marc_quinn_03_detail_2.jpg
marc_quinn_03_detail_3.jpg
marc_quinn_03_detail_4.jpg

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I will admit to being flippant in my earlier posts as I neither know of this woman, or her story. To my mind, this was a sculpture for the sake of it. As their is a story behind it as opposed to it being there for the sake of it, fair enough, I shall reel my neck in.

BUT - i just walked past it. All the other statues nearby are black. All the walls are grey. This thing is a glowing white. It will take precisely 3 days for:
a) smog to blacken it to high heaven.
b) birds to shat all over it.
c) foreign students / those that don't care about it to douse it in graffiti and paint (ergo making the statue more notorious, no doubt).

Even if I liked it, blimmin stupid doing it in white!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Meade's_Ball said:
England does not represent and has not represented a love of freedom. English is one of the languages of repression and slavery.

Indeed. You're so repressed and enslaved that, err, you can post that sort of nonsense on here.

Go and live in Africa/Turkey/Eastern Europe - in fact pretty much anywhere else for a while, and try their 'freedom' for size.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Faldo said:
I will admit to being flippant in my earlier posts as I neither know of this woman, or her story. To my mind, this was a sculpture for the sake of it. As their is a story behind it as opposed to it being there for the sake of it, fair enough, I shall reel my neck in.

And what a story it is! Disabled woman gets pregnant, man does sculpture...fascinating!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Tooting Gull said:
Indeed. You're so repressed and enslaved that, err, you can post that sort of nonsense on here.

Go and live in Africa/Turkey/Eastern Europe - in fact pretty much anywhere else for a while, and try their 'freedom' for size.

But we're talking about the 19th century. Historical heroes that made England great. Not now with all my wonderful freedoms.
And comparing other 'freedoms' to mine is irrelevant. What i believe i should be entitled to should not be compared to those who have nothing. The whole "you should be grateful for what you have. In Nazi Germany you would have been shot by now." argument is crap. Everyone should have more freedom than i have now.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Richard Whiteley said:
I love the way it's always us against the world. Never did any of that invading nonsense ourselves did we. Like MB says, why do we have to have be so obsessed with a world long gone where everyone was trying to get one over the other? And so f***ing what if we didn't grow up speaking English? It's only a f***ing language, composed of other European languages and constantly changing anyway. That's what languages do.

If this annoys plenty of Daily Mail readers then they should make it permanent.
I'm a Mail reader and I love it:)

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Grendel said:
And what a story it is! Disabled woman gets pregnant, man does sculpture...fascinating!

I quite agree - why can't disabled people use contraception...

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Meade's_Ball said:
But we're talking about the 19th century. Historical heroes that made England great. Not now with all my wonderful freedoms.
And comparing other 'freedoms' to mine is irrelevant. What i believe i should be entitled to should not be compared to those who have nothing. The whole "you should be grateful for what you have. In Nazi Germany you would have been shot by now." argument is crap. Everyone should have more freedom than i have now.

So you should always want more, and those that have nothing should sort themselves out?

As for your last sentence, are you posting from prison or something?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Meade's_Ball said:
The whole "you should be grateful for what you have. In Nazi Germany you would have been shot by now." argument is crap.

Well...not really. Not if you were the one on the end of the bullet. Or, by contrast, the one here who can largely say and do what they want.

Originally posted by chip

Interestingly there is no memorial or real honours given to Mitchell who designed the Spitfire.

This plane insured our superioty over the Germans in WW2. Was the spitfire a weapon of war or of protection?

LC

Last edited:

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Heaven forbid there should be a memorial for someone who helped protect the country... - shame on you LC

Also - this claptrap about it being a good piece of art because it is provoking discussion and controversy is bollocks. Its like the arguement that a crap advert on telly is a good thing coz it sticks in the mind!

The quality of the art and what it represents is not in question - the discussion is about the zillion or so things that would have been more appropriate or should have been represented.

Ho humm. If push comes to shove, I'll just close my eyes as I walk by, and think of a statue of Bobby Zamora holding aloft the World Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here