Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for that insight. Bit too drunk too form an answer to it but in the main you are correct. I just can't stand the fact that many cultures have been destroyed through imperialism. That's what I find sad. Stupid was a pretty gross overstament but it wasn't all good.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Thanks for that insight. Bit too drunk too form an answer to it but in the main you are correct. I just can't stand the fact that many cultures have been destroyed through imperialism. That's what I find sad. Stupid was a pretty gross overstament but it wasn't all good.

It definitely wasn't all good, I don't deny that we pulled some pretty shitty strokes in order to spread our flags over the globe. It's the way the blinkers come on that pisses me off. I can almost hear the frantic keystrokes cutting-and-pasting their sixth-form agoniste responses as I sit here, further destroying and denigrating our history with the wonderful benefit of hindsight and an "on-message" brainwashing.

HampshireSeagulls said:
It definitely wasn't all good, I don't deny that we pulled some pretty shitty strokes in order to spread our flags over the globe. It's the way the blinkers come on that pisses me off. I can almost hear the frantic keystrokes cutting-and-pasting their sixth-form agoniste responses as I sit here, further destroying and denigrating our history with the wonderful benefit of hindsight and an "on-message" brainwashing.

But at least the English got the dumb fuckers from Ireland and Scotland to do most of the fighting for them. Oppressed people? They loved killing people who were more "cultured" than they were.

LC

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Meade's_Ball said:
England does not represent and has not represented a love of freedom. English is one of the languages of repression and slavery.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with this either. In a modern context you can attack our history for all sorts of crimes - and we would be guilty of many. The same can be said of the Americans who undoubtedly leave themselves open to the criticism of flouting both freedom and democracy in recent times. However, our langauge and our shared history can't be separated from the evolution of freedom and democracy across the globe. History WILL judge us kindly for many, many things.

It's hard to know where to start in disproving the above statement. What about the Enlightenment? What about a hundred years of liberal political thought? What about the American Declaration of Independence and their constitution and bill of rights - arguably the world's finest enshrinement of freedom and democracy? What about WW2!? What about human rights? Equality? England and the English lanaguage have been at the centre of the development of all of the above with some European help of course :)

Taking things out of context you can knock us for all of the above. But in reality we have defined what freedom and democracy is today.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Mods...NSC Gold. :wave:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Yorkie said:
Well said.
As posted before, the worse slave traders were the Arabs.

How exactly do you define that? The Arabs may have a long history of slavery but for sheer numbers they don't come close to the western volumes of the 17-19th centuries.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Voroshilov said:
How exactly do you define that? The Arabs may have a long history of slavery but for sheer numbers they don't come close to the western volumes of the 17-19th centuries.

200 years compared with centuries and centuries and over a more widespread area.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
All that history compressed into one word - "stupid". Incredible.

Imperialism may look "stupid" from today's point of view, but at the time it was part and parcel of a much wider picture (control of shipping routes, exploration, and yes, wealth acquisition to pay for more exploration, conquests, etc). The defence of the country, and it's interests, was dependant on keeping open shipping and logistics routes through countries, and using the local labour. Yes, it was slavery, but we were not the only people to do it - why do some people insist on pointing out our history of oppression whilst conveniently ignoring how other races, even today, carry out the same oppression and subjugation?

The only "stupidity" is parrotting the PC-party line in holding us up as the guilty nation when you are not willing to look equally critically at other nations and races.

So it was about wealth and power. I'd say that Imperialism was a BAD thing then wouldn't you? I'd say your the one parrotting. Dressing the subjugation of nations up in economics, and pulling out the same old dull PC bollocks.

By talking about our nation's history of oppression DOES NOT mean you ignore opression inflicted by other countries. Personally I think it would be a bit weird to meet a Briton banging on about the Spanish Empire for example. You talk about what you know best usually, and guess what, most of us are from Britain. Stands to reason you might have a greater interest in your own country's history. By saying people are ignoring other countries history is just putting words into their mouths. It's wishful thinking on your part because it suits your argument.

The only 'stupidity' I can see is trying to rewrite history to make oneself feel a bit more comfortable and to cling on to that whiter than white, always on the right side plucky Brits image.
If you don't like it, don't throw your toys out of the pram and come out with all the usual names....PC, self loathing..blahfuckingblah.

On a side note, I defy any right leaning NSC poster to argue about any contentious political issue without using the expression PC. I don't believe it can be done.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Richard Whiteley said:
So it was about wealth and power. I'd say that Imperialism was a BAD thing then wouldn't you? I'd say your the one parrotting. Dressing the subjugation of nations up in economics, and pulling out the same old dull PC bollocks.

By talking about our nation's history of oppression DOES NOT mean you ignore opression inflicted by other countries. Personally I think it would be a bit weird to meet a Briton banging on about the Spanish Empire for example. You talk about what you know best usually, and guess what, most of us are from Britain. Stands to reason you might have a greater interest in your own country's history. By saying people are ignoring other countries history is just putting words into their mouths. It's wishful thinking on your part because it suits your argument.

The only 'stupidity' I can see is trying to rewrite history to make oneself feel a bit more comfortable and to cling on to that whiter than white, always on the right side plucky Brits image.
If you don't like it, don't throw your toys out of the pram and come out with all the usual names....PC, self loathing..blahfuckingblah.

On a side note, I defy any right leaning NSC poster to argue about any contentious political issue without using the expression PC. I don't believe it can be done.

Here we go again. You say that people have a greater interest in our own country's history, yet on this board people frequently, and normally at length, pontificate or "bang on" about the US. We are not in the US, so why should we be passing judgement on them? If we then agree that every other country is an open target, maybe we should start looking into the caste system, the African race wars - if we can pass judgement on the US, then Africa is not above a quick NSC debate, surely?

Imperialism may be about wealth and power, but you have also selected words to quote - I also pointed out expansion of an education system, commerce, technology - but you didn't want to use those words from previous postings because they don't fit your argumen. Neither did you want to challenge DJ Leon's statement -why was that? He makes them same points that I do (more eloquently, obviously!)

The PC argument is nice and easy, but only because over the years it has set itself up as a target. You don't have to be right leaning (I hope that wasn't you trying to label me or put words in my mouth.....!) to disagree with events and actions that have been carried out by people who are devoted to a path of equal opportunties in blind ignorance of common sense.

Anyway, the statue is pretty poor, the replacement is worse. If people are truly sick and tired of championing all these state-approved warriors, why did so many turn out to cheer the recreation of Nelson's funeral procession? Why did so many turn out for Trafalgar 200, and why are so many booked in for the October segment of T200?

HampshireSeagulls said:
Here we go again. You say that people have a greater interest in our own country's history, yet on this board people frequently, and normally at length, pontificate or "bang on" about the US. We are not in the US, so why should we be passing judgement on them? If we then agree that every other country is an open target, maybe we should start looking into the caste system, the African race wars - if we can pass judgement on the US, then Africa is not above a quick NSC debate, surely?

Imperialism may be about wealth and power, but you have also selected words to quote - I also pointed out expansion of an education system, commerce, technology - but you didn't want to use those words from previous postings because they don't fit your argumen. Neither did you want to challenge DJ Leon's statement -why was that? He makes them same points that I do (more eloquently, obviously!)

The PC argument is nice and easy, but only because over the years it has set itself up as a target. You don't have to be right leaning (I hope that wasn't you trying to label me or put words in my mouth.....!) to disagree with events and actions that have been carried out by people who are devoted to a path of equal opportunties in blind ignorance of common sense.

Anyway, the statue is pretty poor, the replacement is worse. If people are truly sick and tired of championing all these state-approved warriors, why did so many turn out to cheer the recreation of Nelson's funeral procession? Why did so many turn out for Trafalgar 200, and why are so many booked in for the October segment of T200?

And why was the Nelson memorial passing (Yesterday) on the Thames so CRAP?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Calling said:
And why was the Nelson memorial passing (Yesterday) on the Thames so CRAP?

Was it? Or was it your opinion?

DJ Leon said:
However, our langauge and our shared history can't be separated from the evolution of freedom and democracy across the globe.

Where can you start with self-delusion like this? :lolol:

When did empire get turned around in your mind to beome "democracy"?

And stuff like the American Declaration of Indepedence mainly came from French ideas but yes, some of is owed to guys like Tom Paine, who usually had to be looking over his shoulder waiting to be arrested by the democracy-loving George III :lolol:

HampshireSeagulls said:
Neither did you want to challenge DJ Leon's statement -why was that? He makes them same points that I do (more eloquently, obviously!)

:lolol: I don't think so.

At least there is a good measure of blunt honesty in your posts, which although I hardly ever agree with them, is at least worthy of respect.

HampshireSeagulls said:
Here we go again. You say that people have a greater interest in our own country's history, yet on this board people frequently, and normally at length, pontificate or "bang on" about the US. We are not in the US, so why should we be passing judgement on them?

For the logical reason that we are locked into a long-term military and political alliance with them, which goes on regardless of who wins General Elections in Britain. The blunt fact is that British foreign and defence policy is decided in the White House, so in many ways it is more sensible that we discuss American politics rather than the sideshow that is British politics.

Oh.....and whatever you do mate, don't buy the Argus today, you'll have a heart attack - not only have they got Alison Lapper on their front page, but they've also started a big campaign to free the Gitmo prisoner from Saltdean, Omar Deghayes :)

Nelson funeral.

Not just my opionion but everyone who was with me, around 100 or so in our office, who watched the proceedings as it passed our building on towards the Tower Bridge.

This 100 had started at around 200 but as the procession proceeded it seemed unco-ordinated, an odd historic boat mixing with modern tourist cruisers, paddling boats, barges.

It was hard to tell where it started, Nelson boat slipped by us!

It was completed by a bedraggle set of boats chased up in the rear by two rowers. A huge disapointment.

A poor display!

Crap.

LC

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
London Irish said:
Where can you start with self-delusion like this? :lolol:

When did empire get turned around in your mind to beome "democracy"?

And stuff like the American Declaration of Indepedence mainly came from French ideas but yes, some of is owed to guys like Tom Paine, who usually had to be looking over his shoulder waiting to be arrested by the democracy-loving George III :lolol:

Where do you start? Well give producing a coherant argument a try.

When did empire get turned around in my mind to become democracy? Who said it did? Did I mention the empire? No, I didn't. Did I say that our journey to democracy happened whilst we had an empire? Again, no. So, what exactly are you saying?

You're right, French ideas did have a lot to do with the US DoI. Just as I said. And did I say that England under George III would be a beacon of freedom and democracy by today's terms. No, I didn't.

So your missive was pretty much written without any consideration of my post. History really has to be judged in context. Your POV seems to ignore this and judge everything and everybody by modern definitions. Maybe you should write a history book. The world should be told what utter right-wing zealots and bigots everybody who died before 1960 was.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here