Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer v Sunak II *** Official Match Thread ***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Tories have escaped proper scrutiny during the past 14 (probably 17) years. It's only in the last couple of years that they've really being forensically examined and had a more hostile approach to their time in office. This is in part to do with the control that the press exerts within the media. It's Sunak that has had this accumulated ire turned on him and has handled it pretty well, but looks pretty broken now. I don't feel sorry for him.

Did you miss March 2010 onwards? Ultra aggressive questioning/opinions from a phalanx of hacks such as Rigby, Coates, Maltis. Throughout, O’Brien, who has huge listening figures. The Times and Guardian exposing scandals and data on the disastrous Brexit.

This has been a Labour landslide since the cost of furlough and peoples liberties were curtailed. I literally put money on it.

The only thing that was different about tonight was that a baying audience got a chance to heckle and laugh at a PM. Last night on BBC Scotland they did the same to Swinney. Incumbents to get crushed.

Psychologically, I’ve been treading water for 2 plus years waiting for a Starmer government. For many reasons the current one was spent years ago. Rather than brick bat spite and bitchiness (it’s always been the way, I remember the 70’s of Heffer, McGahey …. polarised hatred in this country), I’m interested in hard policies followed by acts of parliament. How can Labour solve the housing crisis? Solve woefully underfunded mental health services? Start the process of reintegration with the EU?

BBC QT does laughing at politicians every week, pro immigration MP’s have faced 10+ years of being attacked. It might be fun, but it has no relation to serious thinking and solutions.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
In what way(s) is Farage 'the same' as Starmer? Genuinely interested in this point of view, as I don't understand it.
The main two are Starmer and Sunak, the only two with a remote chance of getting in.
Starmer was quoted as saying Corbyn would make a good PM, however you put it in context.
The reality is, the next leaders are fag paper different.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The main two are Starmer and Sunak, the only two with a remote chance of getting in.
Starmer was quoted as saying Corbyn would make a good PM, however you put it in context.
The reality is, the next leaders are fag paper different.
You said that Starmer wasn't the answer, alongside Sunak.

So you were asked who is, who gets your X?

You replied that 'They are all the same'.

That is - your answer was specifically about the others, you had already dealt with Starmer & Sunak.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You said that Starmer wasn't the answer, alongside Sunak.

So you were asked who is, who gets your X?

You replied that 'They are all the same'.

That is - your answer was specifically about the others, you had already dealt with Starmer & Sunak.
As I said, MRL.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Beth did a great job

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
? No idea what MRL means. Nor have I any connection to Elton John?
I have posted many times that Monster Raving Looney are my vote of choice, and WATFORD Gap will be more than happy to quote me from the archives.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Without wishing to repeat myself, although I feel confident that a certain poster with a connection to Elton John can back-up.....MRL as usual.
They're all the same.
I don’t know what MPL is.

Firstly, I don’t know why this is so hard. They are not all the same at all. I’m quite happy to tell you that I think the Lib Dems have probably done the best campaign job (Davey has chosen to have fun, the manifesto has lots I agree with) but Kyle will get my vote because he’s been extremely effective locally, I’ve met and talked to him and he’s helped people I know.

And I want the f**king Tories out. I find them venal, snobbish, self serving and useless. But that’s the party. I moderate with a Tory Party member who is kind, funny and intelligent.

The Greens are naive but very well meaning. Reform are Nazis. I hate them the most.

I’m saying that because you could pick that all up from a 10 min peruse of my posts. A 10 min of yours (excluding football) would just include pro Brexit and anti Labour.

If they’re all the same, where’s the criticism of Reform and the Tories?

If you think I’m being harsh, it’s because if you are who you say, you’re a massively dedicated Brighton fan and local volunteer and a great bloke IRL. This online persona isn’t you. And mine might not be me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There’s a new government on 5 July.

How can they make new homes affordable in London and the SE?

The vast cost of consultants, land, planning, trades are paid well and need to be in an expensive part of the world, materials get ever more expensive across Europe [see CP2010 new stand cost estimates].

Would love to know the solution.
There isn’t one.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sunak is on a hiding to nothing really. It is a match between Manchester City and Fleetwood Town. It must be tough to not just roll over for him

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I don’t know what MPL is.

Firstly, I don’t know why this is so hard. They are not all the same at all. I’m quite happy to tell you that I think the Lib Dems have probably done the best campaign job (Davey has chosen to have fun, the manifesto has lots I agree with) but Kyle will get my vote because he’s been extremely effective locally, I’ve met and talked to him and he’s helped people I know.

And I want the f**king Tories out. I find them venal, snobbish, self serving and useless. But that’s the party. I moderate with a Tory Party member who is kind, funny and intelligent.

The Greens are naive but very well meaning. Reform are Nazis. I hate them the most.

I’m saying that because you could pick that all up from a 10 min peruse of my posts. A 10 min of yours (excluding football) would just include pro Brexit and anti Labour.

If they’re all the same, where’s the criticism of Reform and the Tories?

If you think I’m being harsh, it’s because if you are who you say, you’re a massively dedicated Brighton fan and local volunteer and a great bloke IRL. This online persona isn’t you. And mine might not be me.
I'm sure you realise that in reality only two firms can be elected.
Amongst that,there is no difference.
I have never stated my level of BHA fan hierarchy, but I DO have more than 300 LP !
I don’t believe you.
It's a free country.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure you realise that in reality only two firms can be elected.
Amongst that,there is no difference.
I have never stated my level of BHA fan hierarchy, but I DO have more than 300 LP !

It's a free country.
Just because the media present it as a Presidential contest, in reality, if that turns you off then go for the candidate you think will be a great local candidate or a Count Binface type.

But if you hate them all, then criticise them all :shrug:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did you miss March 2010 onwards? Ultra aggressive questioning/opinions from a phalanx of hacks such as Rigby, Coates, Maltis. Throughout, O’Brien, who has huge listening figures. The Times and Guardian exposing scandals and data on the disastrous Brexit.

This has been a Labour landslide since the cost of furlough and peoples liberties were curtailed. I literally put money on it.

The only thing that was different about tonight was that a baying audience got a chance to heckle and laugh at a PM. Last night on BBC Scotland they did the same to Swinney. Incumbents to get crushed.

Psychologically, I’ve been treading water for 2 plus years waiting for a Starmer government. For many reasons the current one was spent years ago. Rather than brick bat spite and bitchiness (it’s always been the way, I remember the 70’s of Heffer, McGahey …. polarised hatred in this country), I’m interested in hard policies followed by acts of parliament. How can Labour solve the housing crisis? Solve woefully underfunded mental health services? Start the process of reintegration with the EU?

BBC QT does laughing at politicians every week, pro immigration MP’s have faced 10+ years of being attacked. It might be fun, but it has no relation to serious thinking and solutions.
Much of that I don't watch. Ed Miliband especially targeted by the media. Corbyn, for some reason, decided to bypass the media, so left himself open to it (not that he'd have it easy if he engaged). Ever since 2010, the Tories have been allowed to get away with the narrative of 'putting record funding into X' completely unchallenged when this actually meant real-terms decreases in X. At the same time, child poverty increasing and the cost of living seeds being sown, never really featured. And this was a sitting government, who ought to be getting closer scrutiny than an opposition. It was only when partygate got going that the media have really dug deep. Even then, what was The Telegraph's reaction to the KamiKwasi budget?
Sunak is suffering from the accumulation of this, and the paucity of scrutiny that preceded his leadership.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well that was quite illuminating.

I thought Starmer made real progress tonight. He is totally up for becoming PM, he is ready, motivated, his commitment to 'country first, party second' was articulated well. The audience responded positively to him.

Sunak, by contrast, was on the backfoot from the word go as Rigby rammed the D Day disaster down his throat. He kept going - and he deserves credit for that - but was never comfortable at any stage. There was too much laughter and heckling for Sunak and that will worry him. The Tory lady who reminded him of his penalty for partying during Covid was one last brutal twist of the knife.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here