Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer v Sunak II *** Official Match Thread ***

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remain hopeful that Starmer will prove to have more substance when in the job, than campaigning

He is fortunate with the opposition he is up against.
In this time of personality politics, he would never have got in against Johnson, Cameron and probably not even May.

But he seems to be a serious, decent man.
And I think we need a bit more of that, right now.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
(This isn't a pro-Tory response - think of it as NSC Fact Check)

No, no they weren't.

I'm pretty well qualified on this subject, as I worked for a large financial services company that bought a childcare voucher company, and I was the project manager for the integration.

Childcare vouchers continue, to this day, to be a tax-beneficial salary sacrifice option to take as long as you were registered in a scheme on or before 4th October 2018 (not 2016 as stated).

So, if you were already in a scheme in 2016, you should have been able to continue to enjoy the tax benefits. I have no idea why you were stopped - maybe your employer decided not to offer them any more - but it certainly wasn't anything to do with legislative change, Tory-controlled or otherwise.
Kids unlimited by any chance? I ran the tender when we selected for our company in 2005

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You don’t have to worry about reform. Really. FPTP protects us. Completely. The cynt-2-decent-human ratio in any given constituency is never going to give them more than 1% of MPs in Parliament, in fact, it would be shocking if they got anywhere near 1%, even with up to 20% of the popular vote.
I'm not so sure. If the Tories do get well and truly wiped out, and Reform get a foot in the door, I worry that they'll become a viable option for many more voters in future. The immigration issue is not going away and will likely get worse in the next 10 years or so, as climate change and war make people more desperate to find stability and safety.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
(This isn't a pro-Tory response - think of it as NSC Fact Check)

No, no they weren't.

I'm pretty well qualified on this subject, as I worked for a large financial services company that bought a childcare voucher company, and I was the project manager for the integration.

Childcare vouchers continue, to this day, to be a tax-beneficial salary sacrifice option to take as long as you were registered in a scheme on or before 4th October 2018 (not 2016 as stated).

So, if you were already in a scheme in 2016, you should have been able to continue to enjoy the tax benefits. I have no idea why you were stopped - maybe your employer decided not to offer them any more - but it certainly wasn't anything to do with legislative change, Tory-controlled or otherwise.
At the same time that child care vouchers were phased out another scheme of tax free childcare was introduced whereby you pay money into an account and then 20% was added buy the government up to a threshold. You then pay your childcare provider out of that account. Although i no longer use the scheme I believe it is still in place.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sunak won that for me. Starmer " my father was a toolmaker " Classic stuff, laughs and giggles which he did not get, lol

The crowd that turn up for a sky news leaders debate in grimsby are by definition people switched- on to politics. They've heard the toolmakers line many times before, so giggled at that. But when Starmer chose to interpret the laughter as dismissive of his background, it became clear the laughter was cruel as its an important part of his life story and most people don't know this yet.

Anyway, here is the polling we all need!

Last edited:

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Thought it was funny that he said about the toolmaker son everyone laughed he had no idea why they where laughing, and Rishi looks a broken man

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I hope the media (particularly political pundits) have a period of reflection after this is all over.

You'd hope they won't give more airtime to Farage if he wins a seat over other minor parties who end up with more MPs,

I'm not holding out much hope.

It's often misinterpreted as bias, when in reality it's about that horrible media word "content" and Farage gives them that.
For years he was an MEP and contributed nothing, yet got a season ticket on BBC QT

Those that did their job were excluded

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
They still seem to be banging on about the Sunak D Day thing, yes it was a mistake, but both King Charles and David Cameron stayed for the whole event, and without wishing to offend anyone on here the veterans probably had more of a connection with those two Gents than Mr Sunak.

It’s quite ironic that Labour are still banging on about the insult when as discussed on here one of their new ‘flagship’ councils in Worthing didn’t do anything official to mark the anniversary.

There was a thread, we debated it, then we moved on. 🤷‍♂️

We really need the important stuff debated, tax, immigration, law and order, the environment, rather than going on about people’s mistakes or what someone’s Dad may or may not have done for a job.

That said this is probably the most fascinating election campaign in decades.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the election is turning out very dull, partly because there's not a lot about policy, might be also sense of forgone conclusion. may be also we've heard it all for last 6-9mth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They still seem to be banging on about the Sunak D Day thing, yes it was a mistake, but both King Charles and David Cameron stayed for the whole event, and without wishing to offend anyone on here the veterans probably had more of a connection with those two Gents than Mr Sunak.

It’s quite ironic that Labour are still banging on about the insult when as discussed on here one of their new ‘flagship’ councils in Worthing didn’t do anything official to mark the anniversary.

There was a thread, we debated it, then we moved on. 🤷‍♂️

We really need the important stuff debated, tax, immigration, law and order, the environment, rather than going on about people’s mistakes or what someone’s Dad may or may not have done for a job.

That said this is probably the most fascinating election campaign in decades.
The main reason Sir Keir Starmer mentioned his father and mother’s job was because many working class people were told by right wing press releases that a knight of the realm couldn’t represent them.
He was knighted by the Tories for his service to the justice system, who then used it against him.

That is one of the reasons Starmer wants to look at Levenson 2 again, because billionaire non dom newspapers churn out propaganda day after day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the election is turning out very dull, partly because there's not a lot about policy, might be also sense of forgone conclusion. may be also we've heard it all for last 6-9mth.
Really? I enjoy waiting each day for Sunak's latest f*** up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Maybe an election should be about responsible governance (which is inherently dull) rather than razzmatazz and entertainment. Perhaps if voters viewed it this way, we wouldn’t end with cretins like Johnson (who won the last election) who have absolutely no ability to properly manage the levers of power.

I suspect you blame the politicians but the media narrative is rotten to core. Based on sound bites and the personal agenda of those who own various publications, it assumes the voter has very little gumption and understanding of government.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe an election should be about responsible governance (which is inherently dull) rather than razzmatazz and entertainment. Perhaps if voters viewed it this way, we wouldn’t end with cretins like Johnson (who won the last election) who have absolutely no ability to proper manage the levers of power.

I suspect you blame the politicians but the media narrative is rotten to core. Based on sound bites and the personal agenda of those who own various publications, it assumes the voter has very little gumption and understanding of government.
Hence three word slogans because they think the public like sound bites.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe an election should be about responsible governance (which is inherently dull) rather than razzmatazz and entertainment. Perhaps if voters viewed it this way, we wouldn’t end with cretins like Johnson (who won the last election) who have absolutely no ability to proper manage the levers of power.
yes, thats why a say not a lot about policy. dull was probably wrong word, plenty of amusment in the election. there's plenty wrong with the media, we should blame politicans for being poor at communicating and selling a vision.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here