Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer v Sunak II *** Official Match Thread ***

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have posted many times that Monster Raving Looney are my vote of choice, and WATFORD Gap will be more than happy to quote me from the archives.

Happy to help :thumbsup:

All I can find of you posting about your voting is where you said you don't bother voting as you live in a very blue constituency and then voted at the last election, that was posted earlier on this thread here

and

Not confused in the slightest.

I voted to Leave, and still do wish to do so. Can't see too much confusion there.

Sorry, nothing about MRL, but that obviously only covers the last 8 years :shrug:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sunak I’m a normal person I eat sugar
To be fair to him (which is very very hard), it's a nightmare question to be asked. Ie "tell us something about yourself"

Whatever you say would sound pathetic as it's horribly awkward to actively tell people something you think makes you fun.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Happy to help :thumbsup:

All I can find of you posting about your voting is where you said you don't bother voting as you live in a very blue constituency and then voted at the last election, that was posted earlier on this thread here

and

Sorry, nothing about MRL, but that obviously only covers the last 8 years :shrug:
Still don't see your point, glad you took some time out though. :thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
At the same time that child care vouchers were phased out another scheme of tax free childcare was introduced whereby you pay money into an account and then 20% was added buy the government up to a threshold. You then pay your childcare provider out of that account. Although i no longer use the scheme I believe it is still in place.
Its still in place, we used it briefly a few years back but know a couple who still use the scheme

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
there's plenty wrong with the media, we should blame politicans for being poor at communicating and selling a vision.
I personally think we should blame the proprietors of GB News and (most of ) the major newspapers, for churning out misleading content and allowing the news of some truly disgusting columnists.

We could have Churchill, Mandela and Obama rolled into one and they would still ignore their vision in favour of promoting the party which looks after the wider business interests of 2 or 3 offshore billionaires

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It could have been worse for Sunak. At least he kept to sugar and didn't give us a Saints ancedote about how he enjoyed watching Rick Channon and Michael Keegan at Fratton park during his childhood.

Whether we like it or not, Politics is all about hearts and minds. Sunak is hopeless at winning either. The sort of bloke who gets charged double at your local garage with the words "What a twat" uttered when he walks out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not so sure. If the Tories do get well and truly wiped out, and Reform get a foot in the door, I worry that they'll become a viable option for many more voters in future. The immigration issue is not going away and will likely get worse in the next 10 years or so, as climate change and war make people more desperate to find stability and safety.

Should Reform/Truss types end up taking total control of the Tory party, imho they’ll ‘only’ ever max out at 25% of the electorate. Although a recession, global inflation, huge gaffs would eat massively into a Labour majority.

Spot on about mass immigration, covered in detail this week by European analysts on the BBC … giving the rise of the far right.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Starmer dealt with the payrise question well, he needs to follow up when his in power, he cant give in to every demand.

I have faith he will

I personally think we should blame the proprietors of GB News and (most of ) the major newspapers, for churning out misleading content and allowing the news of some truly disgusting columnists.

We could have Churchill, Mandela and Obama rolled into one and they would still ignore their vision in favour of promoting the party which looks after the wider business interests of 2 or 3 offshore billionaires

Maybe a few years ago sure, but no one really pays attention to newspapers / news anymore, it's all tiktok etc, it's why Tommy Robinson etc use it as a tool.

I can't remember other than the odd miss typed channel entry I've ever put on GB News, but I've had the misfortune of seeing clips on social media.

The big news channels, BBC/Sky etc have a low level of trust currently , their viewing numbers seem to be low, people get their news online

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be fair to him (which is very very hard), it's a nightmare question to be asked. Ie "tell us something about yourself"

Whatever you say would sound pathetic as it's horribly awkward to actively tell people something you think makes you fun.

It's the pathetic attempt to act like they were hard done by, the same with SKS

How about saying something like

I had a very fortunate upbringing, I had all the tools I needed to succeed in later life, as PM I want to make it my goal for more families and children to have the chances I had when growing up.

I don't know why it's now a thing to try and act poor and struggling.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

How about saying something like

I had a very fortunate upbringing, I had all the tools I needed to succeed in later life, as PM I want to make it my goal for more families and children to have the chances I had when growing up.

I don't know why it's now a thing to try and act poor and struggling.
I'm talking about Sunak saying he eats a lot of sugar.

Not either of them saying they had to go without as a child.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I remain hopeful that Starmer will prove to have more substance when in the job, than campaigning

For some time now I've thought that Starmer will make a far better PM than he does opposition leader. The difficulty was always going to be whether or not Labour could win an election under his leadership ... normally, for someone like Starmer to become PM it's because they've taken over mid-term from someone else who won the previous election. Thankfully it looks like he'll be our next PM through winning this election, and I hope he proves me right.

In Sunak's case, I agree with you. But not in Starmer's - I think he's effectively shown how pathetic Sunak's attempt was, while I think being quite clear that while he did miss out on some things, others were/are even worse off.

For me, Starmer came across as showing he recognises the struggles many face. Sunak just comes across as completely out of touch.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Should Reform/Truss types end up taking total control of the Tory party, imho they’ll ‘only’ ever max out at 25% of the electorate. Although a recession, global inflation, huge gaffs would eat massively into a Labour majority.

Spot on about mass immigration, covered in detail this week by European analysts on the BBC … giving the rise of the far right.
Under their current guise I agree, they're a "party" (business) full of looneys and racists and will only attract voters in that category. But if they smartened up a bit, took over the right of the Tories, while campaigning heavily on immigration - and I hate to say it, but with Farage* as a straight talking leader with a more engaging style than Sunak/Starmer.

Especially if net migration levels rise considerably higher, I suspect many more voters would hold their noses and get behind a party on a single issue of migration control. As you say, we could be starting to see that in Europe already.

*Point of clarification: I think he's a colossal cockwomble, and would hate for anyone to think I'm suggesting otherwise.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

depends how the media approach it. We've seen with Covid the control they can have.

If the media want it , anything is possible

People are sheep

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If Reform/Truss types end up taking total control of the Tory party I think you will also see a lot of thier corporate supporters and donors drifting away. They would not want to be associated with them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Under their current guise I agree, they're a "party" (business) full of looneys and racists and will only attract voters in that category. But if they smartened up a bit, took over the right of the Tories, while campaigning heavily on immigration - and I hate to say it, but with Farage* as a straight talking leader with a more engaging style than Sunak/Starmer.

Especially if net migration levels rise considerably higher, I suspect many more voters would hold their noses and get behind a party on a single issue of migration control. As you say, we could be starting to see that in Europe already.

*Point of clarification: I think he's a colossal cockwomble, and would hate for anyone to think I'm suggesting otherwise.

As in the US, 45% plus of those voting do so for a racist criminal and mate of mass murdering Putin. Most simply due to family history and for lower taxation.

I could never vote for Truss/Farage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Listening to Starmer announcing the manifesto. He hasn't promised anything. I'm out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here