• Yes

Votes: 114 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 123 51.9%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How can he cheat? He was fouled, it was border line yellow, and based on the number of fouls Ameobi had made before that, as well as the booking 15minutes before, he should have known better than go in like that on a player.

Refs decision would have been made before the reaction. In fact most referees are wise to reactions anyway and shouldn't be influenced by them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wonder if it is an age thing on here ? Seems most of the 'more mature' posters find it hard to stomach whilst a higher proportion of the younger ones think it part of the game and acceptable.
Jesus, if Lopez had been tackled by Ron Harris or someone like that from the seventies he'd still be rolling this morning.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Of course he cheated. Imagine the uproar if Zaha had done that against us. The referee may well have sent Ameobi off anyway but that does not excuse the theatrics.

Very disappointed to see that from an Albion player, although El Abd has been guilty of quite a few dives in the past to get players sent off.

Quite. Lopez needs to take a very long, hard look at himself after his pitiful am-dram effort on Saturday. I find such behaviour thoroughly reprehensible - regardless of who the player is & who they play for - but it's even worse when it's from one of your own. :nono:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I'm with bozza on this it was unacceptable I hate seeing any player in the stripes doing this kind of thing.

The FA and the Football League need to get tough, ban a couple of players later on video evidence and this fairy stuff will stop.

Everyone does it is not an excuse it is an admission of guilt.

Cheating should be stopped full stop no allowance for it.

If the Ref did send him off because of the theatrics then the ref is a fool and should be not let loose on a professional game of football, so hopefully it did not, he did enough to get his marching orders.

Does it say in the rule book you are not allowed to roll around like an idiot? Or does it come under being unsportsmanlike? Is that even in the rule book?

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
it was terrible and definitely cheating. You don't roll around like that unless you have a reason to do so. Didin't detract from brilliant overall performance, but was unnecessary and I'd hate it if it was someone in another team, so have to apply same standard to our own. And yes, I'm old.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To clear up the cheating argumnt. From Law 12:

In addition, a player is cautioned and shown a yellow card for "unsporting behaviour" which includes the following:

Fakes an injury or exaggerates the seriousness of an injury
Fakes a foul (dives) or exaggerates the severity of a foul

Bookable offence.

Sadly, this just means that it will ne yet another rule that won't be enforced in my opinion. If you look at 99% of matches across Europe, exaggeration is part of the game and is ingrained in the culture of the sport. There would be literally thousands of bookings across Europe every matchday if the rule was enforced.

Also, I think its a bit of a symptom of a larger problem with refereeing in as much as I don't think there's much faith that referees with enforce the rules with any consistency at all. You see it every week.

You then get into the debate of what is worse, a player commiting a (potentially dangerous) foul in which physical damage can be caused or a players theatrical (over)reaction to it...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He was fouled but he then rolled around on the floor, stopped, looked up to see whether the ref was watching / about to book Ameobi, and then rolled some more.

Definitely cheating. If it was Ronaldo, Suarez or Zaha EVERYONE on here would be criticising them.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Of course he cheated. Imagine the uproar if Zaha had done that against us. The referee may well have sent Ameobi off anyway but that does not excuse the theatrics.

Very disappointed to see that from an Albion player, although El Abd has been guilty of quite a few dives in the past to get players sent off.

How did he cheat? he was clearly fouled? He did not dive for the foul, the little look had nothing to do with the YELLOW card. If he had gone down with no contact being made I'd agree with you, but Ameobi only has himself to blame for his dismissal, as soon as he went through Lopez he was off.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does it say in the rule book you are not allowed to roll around like an idiot? Or does it come under being unsportsmanlike? Is that even in the rule book?

No rules in football, only laws. There is unsporting behaviour, but that kind of thing does not come into it really.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Big Amoebi is a Fouling Cheat

I asked an experienced referee Sunday night about rolling around after being fouled. He said it works the opposite way. "If a player is kicked hard enough he doesn't roll around". e.g. if he is rolling he is not badly injured.

It was persistent fouling of this sort that stopped me playing football. The opposition do it deliberately. They know it stops the player with the ball.

Commentators get hysterical about simulation. There is a difference between conning the referee and getting a deserved foul which was both deliberate, stupid and designed to intimidate and possibly injure the Albion player. Big Amoebi should not have been on the pitch!

PS: I thought Mike Williamson both played well and is a good player over both matches. He kept tabs on Craig Mackail-Smith all match and hardly gave him a kick. The Newcastle defence kept very sound for the first 20 minutes and only got beaten by an unstoppable goal. Even Santon played well (not a player I rate) and gave LuaLua a difficult time trying to fashion an opening. Even Perch played well heading off the line for a certain goal.

Newcastle lost it in attack (Amoebis) and midfield. Nothing wrong with the Newcastle defence on the day after leaking goals in the previous games. If one striker dropped back in midfield and fought for the ball (if they know how to tackle which is doubtful) the fans of both teams would have got their money's worth.

I hope we do not get Newcastle next year, or reduce the prices. It takes two sides to make a game of it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How did he cheat? he was clearly fouled? He did not dive for the foul, the little look had nothing to do with the YELLOW card. If he had gone down with no contact being made I'd agree with you, but Ameobi only has himself to blame for his dismissal, as soon as he went through Lopez he was off.

He massively exaggerated the contact in order to get a player booked and therefore sent off. The little look up before rolling some more made it painfully obvious he was not in anywhere near the amount of discomfort he was pretending to be.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
He made the most of the foul which was probably a yellow anyway. The pundits can't have it all ways. They are always saying he felt the contact and went down to justify a player going down easily but are on Lopez case here. Personally I would prefer not to see this type of thing in the game but it is not going away anytime soon.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He made the most of the foul which was probably a yellow anyway. The pundits can't have it all ways. They are always saying he felt the contact and went down to justify a player going down easily but are on Lopez case here. Personally I would prefer not to see this type of thing in the game but it is not going away anytime soon.

He didn't just go down though did he? He went down and rolled over half a dozen times. Bit of a difference.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He massively exaggerated the contact in order to get a player booked and therefore sent off. The little look up before rolling some more made it painfully obvious he was not in anywhere near the amount of discomfort he was pretending to be.

Given that he was moving gingerly for a some time after coming back on I do not think he exaggerated the contact. There was clear contact, and this was Ameobi's problem, it was a poor bookable challenge. I agree that the little look does Lopez few favours, but i do not agree that the extra roll influenced the refs decision. It would only be cheating in my view if he had manufactured a reaction to a non-existent challenge.

That is not to say Lopez would be above doing that in other circumstances but on this occasion, Ameobi only had himself to blame.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Big Amoebi got his just deserts for being incapable of tackling without actually fouling.Just as bad as Suarez handling the ball, but he got caught.

The Mansfield players should have gone OTT. Remember Grealish at Anfield in 83 complaining about the Liverpool penalty.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Given that he was moving gingerly for a some time after coming back on I do not think he exaggerated the contact. There was clear contact, and this was Ameobi's problem, it was a poor bookable challenge. I agree that the little look does Lopez few favours, but i do not agree that the extra roll influenced the refs decision. It would only be cheating in my view if he had manufactured a reaction to a non-existent challenge.

That is not to say Lopez would be above doing that in other circumstances but on this occasion, Ameobi only had himself to blame.

I just think Lopez looked an idiot for rolling around so much, and giving that Ronaldo-like little look at the ref, before rolling some more.

El Abd is just as bad at exaggerating contact to get players sent off.

Nothing wrong with going down well fouled, but making such a meal of it is pretty poor form in my book.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I just think Lopez looked an idiot for rolling around so much, and giving that Ronaldo-like little look at the ref, before rolling some more.

El Abd is just as bad at exaggerating contact to get players sent off.

Nothing wrong with going down well fouled, but making such a meal of it is pretty poor form in my book.

Fair enough, I don't actually disagree with any of that, and sadly Adam has been guilty in the past and it is embarrassing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Given that he was moving gingerly for a some time after coming back on I do not think he exaggerated the contact.

He was likely bloody embarrassed about what he did and had to carry it on to try and give it legitamacy

FWIW I agree with you that Ameobi should have gone but for the intent (+ just having done Dicker) rather than the seriousness. I also think Lopez should've got a yellow for that nonsense

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Out of interest, what do you think were his reasons for the rolling around & sly look at the ref before more rolling around? Regardless of it being a foul (it was), exaggerating the reaction to provoke a stronger response from the referee is cheating.

Having just watched it again, this whole "sly look at the ref before more rolling around thing" seems to be very exagerated to me. He rolled with the foul, looked at the ref to see what the state of the game was, then when he say that play had stopped he rolled so he was face-down. Didn't do three or four rolls after he looked at the ref, just got on to his front.

Was the original roll a bit much? Maybe, but I don't see what he did after he looked at the ref as out of order at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here