• Yes

Votes: 114 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 123 51.9%

• Total voters

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Idon't see how anybody can say Lopez cheated, he was fouled by Ameobi who had been niggling away all match.It wasn't the foul on Lopez that got him sent off , or the rolling about, it was a culmination of his numerous little digs,elbows ,shirt tugs and kicks. Ameobi worked hard for those 2 yellows and succeeded in getting himself sent off.
Having said that the rolling was a bit theatrical for my liking.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
To be fair he checked he was getting carded first then had another bout of extreme pain.

think he might just have been looking at who DONE him
and all these so called pundits who think its bad are just a little POT

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
cheating is the act of achieving a goal through an immoral way.

No. No it isn't.

Yes, yes it is.

What is possibly wrong with that desciption?

When you are cheating you are achieving something in the improper way.

So which is it riskit? Achieving something, or achieving a goal?

There can definitely be cheating when a goal isn't involved, so your 1st point was bollocks & TRHK was absolutely right!

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Out of interest, what do you think were his reasons for the rolling around & sly look at the ref before more rolling around? Regardless of it being a foul (it was), exaggerating the reaction to provoke a stronger response from the referee is cheating.

i understand your point, but if he was already going to book him then the rolls were just unnecessary and there was no stronger possible response

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
At times like this, it's fun applying the "street test". In other words, if exactly the same contact had happened to that supremely fit athlete in Western Road, would he be found wailing and rolling around on the pavement? If yes, then call an ambulance.

Otherwise, the big Jessie would be pulled to his feet by sniggering passers-by, and sent, red-faced, on his way.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So which is it riskit? Achieving something, or achieving a goal?

There can definitely be cheating when a goal isn't involved, so your 1st point was bollocks & TRHK was absolutely right!
Again, pedantry has been used here. When you are cheating you are aiming to gain an advantage. You don't cheat with no reason. That is an 'aim', or a 'goal', or 'achieving something'. It's all the same thing unless you want to REALLY dig into pedantry which will be VERY boring.

But well done for bringing this up again when it had already been finished.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'd LOVE it for Albion fans to lead the way in calling our own players out for theatrics as maybe that's what it's going to take to finally get cheating out of the game.
Your poll would suggest that half of us are doing just that, maybe the result can be secretly fed to Gus so that he can use it as ammunition to chastise SD?!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Again, pedantry has been used here. When you are cheating you are aiming to gain an advantage. You don't cheat with no reason. That is an 'aim', or a 'goal', or 'achieving something'. It's all the same thing unless you want to REALLY dig into pedantry which will be VERY boring.

Your problem is using 'goal' instead of 'aim' when talking about football, where 'goal' also means 'putting the ball in the net'. It confuses people. If you say "there was no goal" people think you mean "because we didn't add to our tally it's not really cheating".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Your poll would suggest that half of us are doing just that, maybe the result can be secretly fed to Gus so that he can use it as ammunition to chastise SD?!

I suspect if the poll was "do you think the rolls were unnecessary/embarrassing" significantly more than half would vote yes. The problem is that he was fouled, so some people have an issue with labelling it "cheating", while fully agreeing it wasn't what they want to see.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Your problem is using 'goal' instead of 'aim' when talking about football, where 'goal' also means 'putting the ball in the net'. It confuses people. If you say "there was no goal" people think you mean "because we didn't add to our tally it's not really cheating".

Oh, well if that's the case then I can see where confusion has occurred.

I assumed as we were talking about the Ameobi sending off people would know 'goal' meant 'aim'.

Thanks.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

That's what I did. On reflection of course his comment made more sense.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Oh, well if that's the case then I can see where confusion has occurred.

I assumed as we were talking about the Ameobi sending off people would know 'goal' meant 'aim'.

Thanks.

All makes sense now - I jumped to the assumption of a 'goal' in the scoring sense...

:thumbsup:

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
If Zaha had done exactly the same thing against us and one of our players had been sent off in the incident, the poll would look very different - with pretty close to 100% saying he cheated.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If Zaha had done exactly the same thing against us and one of our players had been sent off in the incident, the poll would look very different - with pretty close to 100% saying he cheated.

Of course, that always the way with football.

Ball against hand "accidentally" is NOT a penalty if it's our defender that does it but DEFO a penalty if theirs does. A "light" foul/contact is a penalty if it's our forward and play-acting/diving if it's theirs etc. and so on.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The (legitimate) foul would have been given anyway therefore the sending off would have stood, so I don't see it as cheating. He could have done without the theatrics as that is just unsportsmanlike, the ref had already seen it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It was a foul, but basically Ameobi stood on his foot, so no need for the rolling over thing.

It's an aspect of the modern game I don't like, along with players trying to influence the ref and get someone sent off. Can't see it changing, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here