Votes: 114 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 123 51.9%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyway, he was brilliant and can stay at RB for a very long time if he keeps this up!

He was brilliant, but the lasting memory the general public will have of him was the 3 rolls and look to see if the ref saw it.

Bloodyhell, I remember how livid this country was when Ronaldo simply winked at his bench!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A referee's decision to award a yellow should, in NO WAY, be influenced by the pain caused by the incident. The severity of the foul is based on the moment contact is made.

If a player won the ball cleanly but the other players breaks his ankle in the process, the ref is not going to send off the tackler because of the injury caused.

Basically what i'm saying is, if it did influence the ref, then that's a COMPLETE error on the ref's part. I'm adament Shola was going to get the yellow anyway as he had been warned and it was a silly needless tackle.

Lopez COMPLETELY overreacted, dont get me wrong, but cheating is the act of achieving a goal through an immoral way. No goal was achieved by Lopez as the decision to penalise for a foul should not be influence in any way by the post-tackle actions, but by the tackle itself.

Innit

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Referees know that most players exaggerate fouls these days so it's unlikely that he'll be influenced by it any more than a traffic warden is influenced by people saying "I just had to stop and get medicine for my sick child" and the like. I still don't like it though and I agree with Bozza that we shouldn't accept anything form our own players that we wouldn't accept from the opposition. I think it's ridiculous when Zaha does it so I equally think it's ridiculous when Lopez does it.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It's odd - it happened right in front of where I sit and it looked a nasty one at full speed, no replay. It was daft of the lad, given he'd already been yellowed. But, having seen the highlights, that look up at the ref is, frankly, embarrassing – it makes it look like he cheated to deliberately get a fellow pro sent off, even if he was clipped (and he did spend the rest of the game limping, doing so heavily as he left the pitch at the end). So I don't think it's as black and white as a 'yes or no' poll suggests.

Ameobi could well have been carded anyway, even if Lopez had got straight up, so it just makes him look bad. As has been said, it's commonplace these days, and the outrage it seems to have sparked is a bit rich given how prevalent it is at the highest echelons of the professional game. But I don't like it and I hope he doesn't do it again.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Er... how, exactly? Neither bookings were nailed on yellows... hand on heart, if Hammond or Dicker or whoever was sent off for those two incidents, youd be happy with that?

I think it was more than the sum of the two he got booked for, he was niggling all the time he was on the pitch.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That fact that such an act could be both immoral and still within the rules of the game. Cheating in this context is a deliberate contravention of the rules of the game, very specifically - morality has nothing to do with it.

I never once claimed about staying inside the rules. I just used the word 'morality' as it covers both rule breaking and unwritten rules.

However I understand what your saying, but I was looking at it from the point that I don't think his rolling around effected the decision of the ref. More importantly it SHOULDN'T. I still hold that cheating is achieving the goal. You are 'attempting to cheat' all the time that the goal has not been achieved.

But this is getting into pedantics really so not such an issue. Either way, it was quite embarrassing and not something I'm trying to defend. I just think Ameobi would have gone anyway.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I'm not condoning Spanish Daves actions and his reaction really isn't on, but is it not the continental way? Is it not just, how they play the game abroad? Matches across Europe are littered with players going down as if shot by Lee Harvey Oswald. Is it more " acceptable " in other countries than here?

D

Deleted member 18477

cheat? no way. David was in a lot of pain! he was kicked by an absolute unit of a man. poor old Dave! Glad the referee spotted the assult on him and sent that thug Ameobi off!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Er... how, exactly? Neither bookings were nailed on yellows... hand on heart, if Hammond or Dicker or whoever was sent off for those two incidents, youd be happy with that?

The first may have been soft but he did tread on Dicker's heel which was unnecessary and with the way he had been behaving, the yellow was merited. However the tackle on Lopez was most definitely a yellow. It was late and he just ran through on Lopez. If Ameobi had been on excellent behaviour for the whole game and had not received the first yellow, the tackle on Lopez still would have warranted a yellow.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
We all used to likerolling around in grass as a kid (well I did anyway). So Dave clearly just fancied revisiting a bit of his childhood. Slightly odd choice of venue and timing but hey.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
For some reason it seems worse when a hard-as-nails centre back does it.

adam was getting thrown around by ameobi at every oppurtunity........he didn't milk it ,in fact he seemed to be enjoying immensely..........i really do wonder if many of you lot have ever played a contact sport before.....???

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Yay - my vote took the No's above 50%. He embellished his reaction but the fact remains that Ameobi caught S D late. It was a foul so cheating no, but unnecessary histronics yes.

Funny that this thread and all the condemnation arises on Dave's first offence. I've never seen anything similar when our favourite centre back bulldog has indulged repeatedly in unsporting behavior to the opposition - at least two instances of running half the length of the pitch to ask for a red card this season, while last year he favoured the "shot by sniper" response (Lambert / Cabaye)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm not condoning Spanish Daves actions and his reaction really isn't on, but is it not the continental way? Is it not just, how they play the game abroad? Matches across Europe are littered with players going down as if shot by Lee Harvey Oswald. Is it more " acceptable " in other countries than here?

Interesting analogy. You are obviously in the ' lone gunman ' camp whilst I remain convinced that it was a ' crossfire ' scenario.
Hey ho....I still get the message.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He was fouled , double contact caused him to go down and roll over. If he hadn't made it so theatrical then we should stop calling him Spanish Dave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here