Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] SOUTHGATE: I'm finally heating up a MASSIVE humble pie.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Credit where it's due however I still struggle with two holding midfielders. Against the Germans you could argue that Southgate played five at the back and two holding which potentially is dull.
His initial squad selection was strange with all the full backs and took a huge gamble on the fitness of Maguire and Henderson. To save face when Trent Alexander pulled out he selected White (a defender for a defender) when with the benefit of hindsight Ward Prowse would have been a better choice.
He's certainly got them playing well and well organised. I'm sort of eating humble pie.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Credit where it's due however I still struggle with two holding midfielders. Against the Germans you could argue that Southgate played five at the back and two holding which potentially is dull.
His initial squad selection was strange with all the full backs and took a huge gamble on the fitness of Maguire and Henderson. To save face when Trent Alexander pulled out he selected White (a defender for a defender) when with the benefit of hindsight Ward Prowse would have been a better choice.
He's certainly got them playing well and well organised. I'm sort of eating humble pie.

Yet the gamble on Maguire and Henderson has worked (so far). You're assuming a lot when you say he replaced Trent with White to "save face" (contrary to opinions he seems to do what the feck he likes). Not sure that Ward Prowse would have had any more minutes than White as such.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What the Danes who lost 2 groups games?

One directly after one of their players had a cardiac arrest, the other not long after that against one of the top five teams on the planet.

They crushed Wales and laboured a little against Czech, but were clearly better.

These are a good team.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
His initial.

“Dull”. We’ve scored 6 goals in our last couple of games?

I don’t get how some criticise Southgate as if he’s holding the team back from being some kind of a 1970’s Brazil. I mean, I don’t recall England winning every game 5-0 prior to him.

I don’t recall a manager taking us to two consecutive semi finals either…

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potentially and proved to be the right tactics, the aim to stop the Germans wing backs. As an armchair manager I would of gone with the same formation.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Southgate Critics humble pie thread

So, as Sir Gareth stands among giants, 2nd only to Sir Alf, to all the pessimists and all the nay-sayers, here is your chance to hold your hands up and admit you got this horribly wrong

Over to you....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Screenshot 2021-07-08 003415.png

Nope. I'm actually allowing myself a brief smug moment.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I ate my humble pie after the world cup.

As much as I am still a little surprised that he has managed a semi final and now a final (at least) he has clearly worked wonders with England. He identified the issues with the national team and addressed them. Something that many managers failed to do.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
There was a 2 minute masterclass in the second half of extra time between 25-27 mins where the game management was unreal. We kept the ball back to front and back again. Was a huge big cock moment for England. You want the ball come and get it. Crushed Denmark. Fantastic sub as well by GS to go 5 at the back. Grealish would have been pissed off but it was for the cause.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
There was a 2 minute masterclass in the second half of extra time between 25-27 mins where the game management was unreal. We kept the ball back to front and back again. Was a huge big cock moment for England. You want the ball come and get it. Crushed Denmark. Fantastic sub as well by GS to go 5 at the back. Grealish would have been pissed off but it was for the cause.

It was for the cause, just a little surprised with the final in the horizon it wasn’t Sterling who went off to save his legs a bit. But it worked out so cannot grumble.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
England have not won anything yet, coverage on TV this morning and watching Englands chav support celebrating winning a semi final, the way they did, by a penalty that should never have been awarded is totally cringeworthy.
If that penalty was given against England and we lost, no way would our scumbags have accepted it with grace and class the way the Danish support did.
This is why I avoid the English like the plague when I go on holiday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If only an olive branch had been offered, I’d have sat down for my portion. Manners cost nothing :smile:

If we beat Italy the olive branch should be offered in Sunday night’s repeat thread.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I'll only eat humble pie if we beat Italy. I honestly believe Southgate is the luckiest England manager of all time in the way he avoids the big teams. The teams people have tipped to win tournaments. Yes we beat Germany but they are living on their reputation at the moment, nobody tipped Germany to win this. We failed against the tipped teams in 2018 and believe we will fail against Italy on Sunday even though it's at Wembley. Unfortunately he'll keep his job as it will be another successful tournament in the FA's eyes.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
England have not won anything yet, coverage on TV this morning and watching Englands chav support celebrating winning a semi final, the way they did, by a penalty that should never have been awarded is totally cringeworthy.
If that penalty was given against England and we lost, no way would our scumbags have accepted it with grace and class the way the Danish support did.

Cheer up

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, as Sir Gareth stands among giants, 2nd only to Sir Alf, to all the pessimists and all the nay-sayers, here is your chance to hold your hands up and admit you got this horribly wrong

Over to you....

Only if you admit that you can't use the search facility / your own eyes :rolleyes:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

How about you avoid Engel and threads like the plague and stop spouting your oddball crap on every thread then :thumbsup: if you want attention, hire a brass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here