Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] SOUTHGATE: I'm finally heating up a MASSIVE humble pie.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Way too much stick on here having done so well for England - World Cup semi ffs. But glad people can hold their hands up. Myself and many others said semi would represent a successful tourno, regardless of what happens now, but we’re gonna give it our all to make the final. Think Italy look brilliant, so want Spain to win!

Not a fan of Southgate tbh but the second half of yesterday’s game was very very good to see. First half, we scored and then sat back, slow with the ball which let them have two good chances. In the second half we took the game to them and boom. We play like that, with that intent and I’ll be eating humble pie.
The only caveat is the Ukraine weren’t great …….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't changed my mind on him at all. He fell into a job because his face/personality fitted, not because of his football management acumen.

We're doing well but still yet to meet quality opposition (Germany certainly weren't that).

He has a dearth of quality players which are carrying him through.

He's also surrounded himself with quality coaches for which I would praise him.

We are good enough to win the tournament but if we do, I'm not going to suddenly jump on the Southgate bandwagon. He was a poor manager before his appointment and I'll bet he will be a poor manager again when or if he returns to club management, unless of course he can surround himself with better coaches and have access to world class players!

Wouldn't that make his achievements all the better?

Assuming you mean a surfeit of quality players I think that's only true of the attacking positions. It's why I was very much in the we should load up on attack and go for death or glory line of thinking. I say was because well, it's hard to argue against getting to the semi finals without having conceded a goal. I'm still not 100% convinced that our defense is as good as our record suggests but it would be churlish to say that the Southgate way hasn't proven successful.

I'm also not convinced that Southgate is a great manager but I'm viewing that through the prism of club football. Again his achievements as England manager deserve nothing but respect. If it wasn't already it's become apparent that the qualities needed to succeed at club level and international level are quite different and Southgate is proving, within the context of England, as being a very successful international one. Long may it continue.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We're doing well but still yet to meet quality opposition (Germany certainly weren't that).

I’m quoting you but to be fair you’re not the only one here expressing these sentiments.

I’m not having this “Southgate got a lucky draw”, “haven’t played anyone good yet” rhetoric.

Croatia are still a good side. The Czechs got to the quarter finals. That’s two of the teams in our group to start with. And how are Germany not quality opposition? Granted it’s not a vintage Germany team but that seems to be recency bias because we won. They’re still a top 15 side in the world rankings. They had some good moments in that first half and there were a number of Champions League winners in their side.

And regardless of opposition:
- we haven’t conceded a goal in the tournament yet
- we’ve strolled through the quarter finals like never before
- we’ve achieved back to back semi finals for the first time since Alf Ramsey

And even after that you still want to go with the “easy draw” argument, I have one word for you: Iceland.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If Gareth’s done one thing, it’s off the pitch we’ve made the most improvement for me. (Which aids us massively on the pitch)

As he said in his post-match interview, the entire squad is on the same page all moving in the same direction. There’s harmony in the dressing room, more than we ever have in my life time. No longer a tribal-club mess full of superstars, but an actual TEAM fully focussed on the next match. Gareth is superb handling the media pressure. And it’s all culminating in teamwork on the pitch. We’re happier.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I haven't changed my mind on him at all. He fell into a job because his face/personality fitted, not because of his football management acumen.

He's also surrounded himself with quality coaches for which I would praise him.

We are good enough to win the tournament but if we do, I'm not going to suddenly jump on the Southgate bandwagon. He was a poor manager before his appointment and I'll bet he will be a poor manager again when or if he returns to club management, unless of course he can surround himself with better coaches and have access to world class players!

As if most of this post wasn’t nonsense enough it might help your credibility if you knew want words actually mean. Completely contradicted yourself. I will leave you to work out what you did wrong there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am was not a big fan of his coming but to give him his due he seems to have a strong view of what his team should do and is picking a team to match that view rather than picking the 'best'. It also seems he has got the harmony within the group and his rolls of the dice on McGuire and Henderson have worked for him , especially McGuire who holds that defence together. He also stood by Sterling who for me has been outstanding ,not his skill but the work rate underpinning it, something some of the top players can't or won't do. His handling of Grealish has also been very good and that little hug last night showed his man management skills.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m quoting you but to be fair you’re not the only one here expressing these sentiments.

I’m not having this “Southgate got a lucky draw”, “haven’t played anyone good yet” rhetoric.

Croatia are still a good side. The Czechs got to the quarter finals. That’s two of the teams in our group to start with. And how are Germany not quality opposition? Granted it’s not a vintage Germany team but that seems to be recency bias because we won. They’re still a top 15 side in the world rankings. They had some good moments in that first half and there were a number of Champions League winners in their side.

And even after that you still want to go with the “easy draw” argument, I have one word for you: Iceland.

Yes all of this.

I was really torn after the first two games. Croatia was EXCELLENT. It was very, very hot and we beat a team who'd beaten us three years previously in a semi-final with a well executed gameplan. But then we went for similar tactics on a cold, wet night against the Scots and had our worst game. Philips looked like he'd never played CDM, making big holes for McGinn. Kane was isolated and lethargic. The safety first tactics looked horrible. I couldn't see much progress at that point.

Since then every game has got better and better and he's solved those key problems against the Scots without changing his spine (save for bringing in Maguire) and simply rotating the positions we are rich in talent in. A difficult balancing act. Credit to Southgate - he's had a great tournament and shown how defensive solidity can bring great results.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As long as you go out against Denmark, he is fine.

I can see how you lost to Ukraine - we found it very tough. Now stop being salty :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can see how you lost to Ukraine - we found it very tough. Now stop being salty :lol:

We made all the hard work for you. They were in pieces yesterday.

Not salty, its just football tradition that England doesnt win. Needs to stay that way. Also the Danes deserve it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Because there's so much more to being a football manager than man management.

I guess the clue is in the 'man management' vs 'football management' difference.

I'll leave that with you.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

He’s conducting the orchestra, not playing the fiddle. He has a fiddler for that. Same as any other ‘overall’ management position :shrug::shrug:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I’m sorry but anyone saying Germany aren’t quality opposition need to give their head a wobble. World class players all over the pitch.

Footy’s coming home! :goal:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Absolutely spot on :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not for long Swanny. We’re going to break that tradition.

Let’s not forget we have won before as well.

Oh you've jinxed it now. :tantrum:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As if most of this post wasn’t nonsense enough it might help your credibility if you knew want words actually mean. Completely contradicted yourself. I will leave you to work out what you did wrong there.

I was in a rush, meant plethora.

That aside, I stand by everything else I posted.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I swear I read that it was on both but no it’s ****ing ITV. That’s it. No point even watching. Sake

If the worst were to happen, surely something would have to be done regarding coverage of England games at major tournaments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here