Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] SOUTHGATE: I'm finally heating up a MASSIVE humble pie.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Anyone who still thinks he’s a hopeless tactician clearly hasn’t watched our games in this tournament.

We’ve dominated and dictated a lot of the play in most games.

2 knockout games so far have been tactically spot on. The Germans main threat was their speedy wingers so he goes to a 3 with strength in wing backs and allows his midfield two more freedom. Last night reverts to 2 CBs but his use of Rice is very clever dropping him pretty much into a 3rd CB at times allowing Shaw especially to carry that forward threat, and Shaw again becomes a crucial goal provider. Of course much more happening all over the pitch, but there is much to admire in Southgate’s flexible tactics.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I remember saying to a friend that Southgate’s appointment felt like the “death of ambition” at the time.

Yes. I am a numptie. :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just to provide some perspective: So far, we have beaten teams below us in the world rankings, which is what happened at the World Cup, when we also lost to all the teams we played who were above us.

The good news is that none of the three teams above us in today's rankings (Belgium, France, Brazil) are in the last four of this competition.

Mind you, I don't think we should be getting carried away today after beating a tired Ukraine side who hadn't a clue about defending ...

Good post.

However, you can only play what’s in front of you, and we have been excellent in our last two games.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Awful manager with great man management? HTF does that work ? Biggest part of his job. He’s surrounded himself with those good coaches.
Because there's so much more to being a football manager than man management.

I guess the clue is in the 'man management' vs 'football management' difference.

I'll leave that with you.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You’ve got to take into account that those words came direct from the mouth of a Horse’s Arse, if that is anatomically possible...
I just love the reaction my user name gets from some. It's a hugely effective filter!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It can be very difficult at times to watch, I call him Gareth Sideways.

However, he has clearly found a recipe to get these young players through games. Looking back we've always relied on one or two star players hoping that be enough.

Somewhere he has managed to defuse the weight on those players throughout the squad and to keep those who previously would had all the attention (e.g. Grealish) somewhat backstage but part of the squad.

Turgid at times, but probably the best chance we'd had to win an international tournament since 96.

It's all about breaking the cycle of failure and that can look very different from moving forwards.
Absolutely.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
But I thought he’s a Palace wanker who doesn’t pick Brighton players ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
AE61D063-8B3D-4634-A034-09B5E580DC58.jpeg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I remember saying to a friend that Southgate’s appointment felt like the “death of ambition” at the time.

Yes. I am a numptie. :)

To be fair, I think we were all very underwhelmed at the time of his appointment.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I think regardless of whether you rate him as a manager or not you have to respect his achievements with England.

He's only the second manager (Alf Ramsey being the first) to take England to consecutive tournament semi finals. And only the fourth manager to even get to one semi final.

He's won more knock out games in his two tournaments than we have in our previous ten.

Ended our penalty shoot out hoodoo.

Beat a major nation in the knockouts for the first time in decades.

Ended our hoodoo against Germany in knock out games.

Got our biggest ever world cup win.

got our biggest ever Euros win.

First team in Euros history to go the first five games without conceding.

Made the team likeable and relatable again.

He's changed the narrative around England in major tournaments.

That's pretty impressive regardless of your personal opinions of him. And he's done a lot of that whilst insisting that Mings is one of the country's best defenders...
Haha - last bit winds me right up, along with coady after such a poor season. He does deserve respect as you say and he's done better than managers with far better tactical nous and experience.

Luck plays a huge part in football and England have suffered from it massively in the past. Lampard's goal, Beckham red card etc. This time Philips escapes a red and Muller misses a sitter - how different would the view of Southgate be if we hadn't had that luck? Better to be a lucky manager that a good one I guess.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

On this lovely Sunday morning shouldn't you be standing outside Sainsbury's trying to get anyone who looks like they can play football to sign up for the Caravan Club?
The sparkling new stand at The Stad de Clad next to those neatly parked Sainsbury's delivery vans must look a picture.
If you hang around long enough you might see Monsieur Vieira arrive for his press conference.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Blimey, have they finally caved into his financial demands amid their rabid fear of appointing Dougie again?

Typical palace to suddenly to support a manager/team after a victory.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Fair play

Been some absolute shite on her the last month or so about England .

Some of the dunk and white posts embarrassing .

Anti England as usual but nice to see a winning team has them back on side . ( same as the World Cup and nations league )

All will be forgotten the next bad run and the spouting off will start again

Nice that Southgate proven to be the one and footballs coming home again

2,3,4 ….

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Gareth deserves credit, especially for resting key players and getting the tournament 'pacing' spot on - that I have been impressed by. I would say that the hyperbole following yesterday will only serve to add to the immense pressure against the Danes, but if we play at our best we can win... Italy and Spain, personally I'm praying for Spain as I don't think they're that good tbh and if we meet them in the final we can finally win a major tournament once again.

That brings me to the crux for me: Yes, it'll be brilliant on many levels but most pertinently (for me) it'll finally lay to rest the ghost of '66 something I'm sick of hearing about every time we take to the field at this level. We need this win culturally, but also to move on from that era - although truly momentous, one that has haunted our international game for far too long.

Come on England.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to provide some perspective: So far, we have beaten teams below us in the world rankings, which is what happened at the World Cup, when we also lost to all the teams we played who were above us.

The good news is that none of the three teams above us in today's rankings (Belgium, France, Brazil) are in the last four of this competition.

Mind you, I don't think we should be getting carried away today after beating a tired Ukraine side who hadn't a clue about defending ...

The difference, for me, is the manner of the victories.

Irrespective of the opposition England have always stuttered and scraped their way through tournament football, until the luck finally ran out.
The only team that can't be said about in the whole competition is England.

The 'lesser team' 'they look tired and leggy' doesn't apply to England because they have looked totally professional and completely within themselves, all tournament.

I never expected that.

With back to back semi finals and another tournament round the corner I think Mr Southgate has already earned some peace and quiet from all of us who have loudly dismissed him as a manager, no matter how this ends up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I haven't changed my mind on him at all. He fell into a job because his face/personality fitted, not because of his football management acumen.

We're doing well but still yet to meet quality opposition (Germany certainly weren't that).

He has a dearth of quality players which are carrying him through.

He's also surrounded himself with quality coaches for which I would praise him.

We are good enough to win the tournament but if we do, I'm not going to suddenly jump on the Southgate bandwagon. He was a poor manager before his appointment and I'll bet he will be a poor manager again when or if he returns to club management, unless of course he can surround himself with better coaches and have access to world class players!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It can be very difficult at times to watch, I call him Gareth Sideways.

However, he has clearly found a recipe to get these young players through games. Looking back we've always relied on one or two star players hoping that be enough.

Somewhere he has managed to defuse the weight on those players throughout the squad and to keep those who previously would had all the attention (e.g. Grealish) somewhat backstage but part of the squad.

Turgid at times, but probably the best chance we'd had to win an international tournament since 96.

It's all about breaking the cycle of failure and that can look very different from moving forwards.

I'm still fence, but I feel that I should let you know that while you were presumably enjoying a brisk walk, England won 4-0 ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here