Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] SOUTHGATE: I'm finally heating up a MASSIVE humble pie.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
God, I'd forgotten all about that. Has anyone ever worked out why that was disallowed? Argentina restarting the game whilst our lot were still celebrating in the corner was top shithousery.

Wasn't the ref from DENMARK?

I've never heard it explained, it just gets brushed under the carpet when it happens to us.

I think there's an element of self flagellation because our fans were a bit over boisterous!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Use of VAR (and reffing overall) in the Euros has been MILES better than the PL. They seem to be following the ‘clear and obvious error’ philosophy that I thought was always supposed to be in place - ie unless the ref has made a howler, stick with his original decision rather than trying to do a deeply forensic analysis of every incident. Both penalty shouts last night were debatable, in both cases they stayed with the ref’s initial decision, and decisions made much quicker too.

Hopefully our muppets are learning something from this.

100%

I've been strongly anti VAR up to now. I've no real issues with it if used like this and the reffing has been excellent. Unfortunately the Premier League has terrible refs. It's like sticking a one legged, short sighted geriatric in charge of driving an F1 car.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
100%

I've been strongly anti VAR up to now. I've no real issues with it if used like this and the reffing has been excellent. Unfortunately the Premier League has terrible refs. It's like sticking a one legged, short sighted geriatric in charge of driving an F1 car.

Agree.

I think it has shown that we have among the worst football officials officiating in what should be seen as one of the best leagues in the world (if not, the best). Really, the likes of Jon Moss, Mike Dean etc. are laughable next to the refs we've had in charge of these games.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
England have not won anything yet, coverage on TV this morning and watching Englands chav support celebrating winning a semi final, the way they did, by a penalty that should never have been awarded is totally cringeworthy.
If that penalty was given against England and we lost, no way would our scumbags have accepted it with grace and class the way the Danish support did.
This is why I avoid the English like the plague when I go on holiday.
You appear to be living in the past, the England fan base is now unbelievably diverse. The days of Stone Island being England fans dress code are long gone.

Embrace the New look England it’s actually quite successful.

Back in another life I worked on a party Island in the summer season, if you think it’s just the British that act like twats on holiday you would be very much mistaken.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
God, I'd forgotten all about that. Has anyone ever worked out why that was disallowed? Argentina restarting the game whilst our lot were still celebrating in the corner was top shithousery.

Wasn't the ref from DENMARK?

Yes, Kim Milton Nielsen. **** sent off Beckham for a pathetic tap to the legs after being poleaxed by Simeone.

That's just made last night's win even sweeter - thanks!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
England have not won anything yet, coverage on TV this morning and watching Englands chav support celebrating winning a semi final, the way they did, by a penalty that should never have been awarded is totally cringeworthy.
If that penalty was given against England and we lost, no way would our scumbags have accepted it with grace and class the way the Danish support did.

But you choose to live in England and not avoid them the rest of the time….how does that work then?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Er, you are English. How do you avoid yourself?

There are scumbags of all nationalities everywhere. For every lobster pink overweight oik in a Spanish resort, I bet there are equivalents elsewhere.

Come on Raleigh. Relax and enjoy the moment.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

There are scumbags of all nationalities everywhere. For every lobster pink overweight oik in a Spanish resort, I bet there are equivalents elsewhere.

Tell me about it, Benidorm is full of dodgy Swedish folk who think laws don’t apply to them :D

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Anyone thinking pissed up Brits are bad on holiday should try staying in a hotel with a big Russian contingent, or a load of US college kids on their 'Spring Break' :eek:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Sorry but that’s nonsense and very arrogant to those teams who have made it to where they have that we’ve beat. Germany had Sane no Gundy on the bench ffs! Also, we’ve beat Croatia twice and didn’t we do Spain AWAY in the competitive nations league. Myth. He’s proved himself again as a good international manager - time to accept it.

In my opinion it's not nonsense.

Name a more toothless striker than Werner this season?
We lost to Croatia when Modric was in his prime
We lost to Belgium twice in 2018
Italy will be the first major test. We haven't had to face France, Belgium or Spain, is it arrogant of me to rate Scotland below these teams? I'd put Denmark on a par with us and we needed to cheat to beat them.
Nations league :ffsparr: I don't remember the country stopping to watch that one. Please don't pretend that's tournament football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Name a more toothless striker than Werner this season?
We lost to Croatia when Modric was in his prime
We lost to Belgium twice in 2018
Italy will be the first major test. We haven't had to face France, Belgium or Spain, is it arrogant of me to rate Scotland below these teams? I'd put Denmark on a par with us and we needed to cheat to beat them.
Nations league :ffsparr: I don't remember the country stopping to watch that one. Please don't pretend that's tournament football.

We didn’t cheat to beat Denmark. Their manager changed three subs all in one go. They ran out of steam barely making an attack after 60 minutes. He took their most dangerous player, Damsgaard off, and in extra time they were dropping like flies.
The referee made the decision for the penalty which was checked by VAR, so not cheating. Stirling’s foot was caught.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought Kane's was more of a penalty than Sterling but then again I wasn't convinced that Denmark should have had that free kick they scored from.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Name a more toothless striker than Werner this season? Maupay :lol: I could name 20 in the Prem - sane was on bench and Gundy who’s been one of the best mids in the prem. top class talent everywhere. Bloke that’s just scored champions league winning goal and host of others

We lost to Croatia when Modric was in his prime - and? One player - one game. Silly comment

We lost to Belgium twice in 2018 - once with reserves in meaningless games - another time in a meaningless game - so not really but they were prob stronger then us then I’ll give you that.

Italy will be the first major test. Rubbish and disrespectful to everyone we’ve played - just accept we’ve done really, really well…

We haven't had to face France, Belgium or Spain, - erm no because we’ve been better than them and progressed further in the tourno - would it only be a tourno win in your book if a team plays all the best ones - if so you need to wipe every euros and WC winner in your book :facepalm: :lol:

is it arrogant of me to rate Scotland below these teams? I'd put Denmark on a par with us and we needed to cheat to beat them. - is that a joke?!?!! Cheat?!?!! Did you not see the free kicks they scored from or the clear kane pen. Sterling’s was a soft pen but also a pen - var agreed…

Nations league :ffsparr: I don't remember the country stopping to watch that one. Please don't pretend that's tournament football - it’s not tourno football - pls don’t put words in my mouth - it’s competitive though and nothing like friendlies. Ironically every nations league game way more competitive than the 2 Belgium ones you’ve mentioned haha.

Bizarre post - why are there so many miserable ****s who have to try and pick holes out of our country - trusty pathetic - brining the normal people down - grow up ffs. Absolutely disgraceful post - not actually gonna waste my energy defending our excellent tourno - bet you and the few others are fun at party’s :lol: :ffsparr:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We didn’t cheat to beat Denmark. Their manager changed three subs all in one go. They ran out of steam barely making an attack after 60 minutes. He took their most dangerous player, Damsgaard off, and in extra time they were dropping like flies.
The referee made the decision for the penalty which was checked by VAR, so not cheating. Stirling’s foot was caught.

Either fishing or just another attention seeker - anti English oddball. Going to ignore chumps like this now. What a performance - what a tournament - what a team. Hopefully going to rise up the world rankings from 4th best team after this :clap2:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Doesn't seem like they are really using VAR. They have moved from one extreme in the premier league to another in the Euros.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Doesn't seem like they are really using VAR. They have moved from one extreme in the premier league to another in the Euros.

Not one post in any of our 5 excellent victory match threads on NSC yet managed 3 in the Scotland one - haha - oddball - bye bye :wave:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Name a more toothless striker than Werner this season? Maupay :lol: I could name 20 in the Prem - sane was on bench and Gundy who’s been one of the best mids in the prem. top class talent everywhere. Bloke that’s just scored champions league winning goal and host of others

We lost to Croatia when Modric was in his prime - and? One player - one game. Silly comment

We lost to Belgium twice in 2018 - once with reserves in meaningless games - another time in a meaningless game - so not really but they were prob stronger then us then I’ll give you that.

Italy will be the first major test. Rubbish and disrespectful to everyone we’ve played - just accept we’ve done really, really well…

We haven't had to face France, Belgium or Spain, - erm no because we’ve been better than them and progressed further in the tourno - would it only be a tourno win in your book if a team plays all the best ones - if so you need to wipe every euros and WC winner in your book :facepalm: :lol:

is it arrogant of me to rate Scotland below these teams? I'd put Denmark on a par with us and we needed to cheat to beat them. - is that a joke?!?!! Cheat?!?!! Did you not see the free kicks they scored from or the clear kane pen. Sterling’s was a soft pen but also a pen - var agreed…

Nations league :ffsparr: I don't remember the country stopping to watch that one. Please don't pretend that's tournament football - it’s not tourno football - pls don’t put words in my mouth - it’s competitive though and nothing like friendlies. Ironically every nations league game way more competitive than the 2 Belgium ones you’ve mentioned haha.

Bizarre post - why are there so many miserable ****s who have to try and pick holes out of our country - trusty pathetic - brining the normal people down - grow up ffs. Absolutely disgraceful post - not actually gonna waste my energy defending our excellent tourno - bet you and the few others are fun at party’s :lol: :ffsparr:

We'll find out who is correct on Sunday.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

They’re using it for it’s intended purpose: clear and obvious errors. Refs and linesman (particularly of the quality at this tournament) rarely make clear and obvious errors so overturning on-field decisions is going to be uncommon.

Talking of refs, is that German going to do the final? He’s been outstanding in every game I’ve seen him.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

VAR is being used in the same way as in the World Cup, just for clear & obvious errors, penalties, offside and red cards.
The PL referees make a complete hash of it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We'll find out who is correct on Sunday.

No we ****ing won’t. Stop trying to set up some sort of odd thing. I don’t think we’re favourites Sunday - it means nothing to me absolutely embarrassing you dissecting your nonsense whether we win Sunday or not. Regardless ive enjoyed the ride this excellent team has put on for us all - Sunday proves nothing!You literally WANT us to lose. Oddballl and now on ignore - if you gloat if we lose Sunday you’ll leap from 99% **** to 100% **** - just don’t bother posting on England again - you have an odd agenda and clearly aren’t English.

Not engaging again / you’ve been done and come back with ‘we’ll see who’s right Sunday’ :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here