Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what would you do if you were Dick Knight?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Personally, I've never been a big believer is backing someone purely on reputation, and in the case of Adams - without his reputation from last time with us - that means his time is up. A point made very well by John Byrne last night when he said that if this season had been under Wilkins he'd have already gone.

John Byrne makes Harty look like a fool with his constant Adams cheerleading, JB talked a lot of sense last night

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
where is this faith adams will turn it around coming from? is it purely that he did all those years ago? im afraid i really think it is time for him to go,i see nothing that gives me any encouragement he can get us out of this mess !!
have any of his signings been a success? how many players has he bought in to the club? well 2 of them started last night johnson and hawkins... so what makes anyone think he can bring the right players into the club in jan?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I chatted to El Byrne about it in the summer and knew he wasn't happy. That's a good point about what would have happened if Wilkins had started the season like this.

But really all these threads make me twice as twitchy for Micky to turn it around, which I'd put multiple beans on him doing. Were you people at Chelsea or summink when this happened the first time he was here?

Sacking and appointing managers is always a game of luck. Apart from Hinsh (who was mitigatingly luckless) and Jeff Wood, Dick's generally performed a series of masterstrokes. I'd prefer to judge his tenure on the miracle wot's going on at the muddy field at Falmer as we type.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
What's the answer?

In my opinion changing the manager now is not the answer, the problems are more about confidence than ability.

On paper we have a good enough side for this division, I beleive we can still turn it round, even more so if the manager gets the backing in the transfer window.

Surely saying we have the ability to be higher is more critical of the manager than anything else? I've seen other people say this and I don't get it. If the players are good enough to be at the top, the manager is doing even worse than if we had an average side.

I probably wouldn't sack Thicky yet, but I don't know how much longer he can be given with results like this. If we don't pick up before 2009 I certainly wouldn't be suprised/at all upset to see Adams getting the boot.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But really all these threads make me twice as twitchy for Micky to turn it around, which I'd put multiple beans on him doing. Were you people at Chelsea or summink when this happened the first time he was here?
This didn't happen the first time he was here. We had a bit of a crap start to our first season at Withdean before mostly plodding along in midtable. I'm not sure how that, moving into a new ground and off the worst period in the clubs history is comparable to the hatchet job he is currently performing on what was a relatively decent side, which he seems to think will be turned around by shouting at them and making them do loads and loads of running.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure how that, moving into a new ground and off the worst period in the clubs history is comparable to the hatchet job he is currently performing on what was a relatively decent side, .

That is the whole point we wern't a decent side last season we struggled but had more than our fair share of luck and that squad, if promoted lasst season or this, would not be good enough to stay up and MA must ensure that if and when we do go up we stay there. That is why I think he is trying to rebuild.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Think he should dress up as Santa then shave his beard in the new year.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That is the whole point we wern't a decent side last season we struggled but had more than our fair share of luck
Embarrassing nonsense.

I agree the squad then, or now, would not be good enough to stay up if it went up. But Adams was hailed as the man to "take us to the next level" not "demolish the squad and write off next season". And on the basis of Hawkins, Hart, Mayo, Livermore, McLeod, Anyinsah, Savage etc and so on and the fact that even when he does sign good players such as Thornton that Adams really has the capabilities to rebuild. There is no job lot of former players this time.

Although the reason for Adams being brought back will continue to change as our decline continues, the reality is that we were making steady forward progress but the chairman thought this is an okay team, all we need to do to push on is get his old mate who was successful 10 years ago to shout at them and we'll be up. Which of course was folly.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That is the whole point we wern't a decent side last season we struggled but had more than our fair share of luck and that squad, if promoted lasst season or this, would not be good enough to stay up and MA must ensure that if and when we do go up we stay there. That is why I think he is trying to rebuild.

Opinions, opinions, opinions........however........

After a full season last year, we finished 7th...........A FACT.

After almost half a season this year, we are 20th.............A FACT.

One of the other main differences/facts I can see from this season to last season, is that Dick Knight, personally, ripped out the heart of the team last season, and this season he has allowed the present manager to sign a whole host of players..............which, at present, have been a dismal failure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A team that finishes 7th doesnt need rebuilding. It needs enhancing.

Excellent observation, and well put.

I don't know what HAS been done to the team that finished 7th though....has it really been messed up??
It looks that way on the pitch - you'd never have thought that this team had done well at all last season. They even should have had more points except for a couple of silly slip-ups mid-season.

As many have pointed out there is no way that we justified 7th it was just that the general standard last season was far inferior to this.

Rubbish. You don't half spout some drivel.

We were all over orient for 45 minutes, and had them desperately scrambling to keep us out. They then got a breakaway after defending from the midfield in the 2nd half, and we had to scrape a draw at the end. That was profligacy on the part of our players, and it should have ended with 4 goals to our good.

There was that away match we were leading until the final moments, but amazingly let slip to a draw.

Then there really were several other matches that were ours for the taking but we let slip. Yes, there were losses to lower clubs too, and some poor games through the season - but that's why we didn't end in the top 6.

We made the opposition look inferior then, unlike now where we make them look amazing. Were Huddersfield and MK Dons so incredibly good at Withdean these last two home games? No, not really. One top quality goal last night, but otherwise MKD just played with a steady intent and TEAMWORK that we no longer display.
If we did have team-work we could be in their position, but we don't and we ain't.

That's the difference.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MK Dons were the best team going forward to have played at Withdean this season they always looked as if they would score and we didnt test their goalkeeper enough as he looked dodgy.

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Unless Deano can come back, which I guess is not an option I see no benefit in sacking Adams. However Knight should take a back seat, become president and let another member of the current board take the front line. Knight could then still be involved with the glory of Falmer and be thanked for all he has done.

Dean Wilkins and Ian Chapaman will NEVER work at the club again until DICK is gone

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Opinions, opinions, opinions........however........

After a full season last year, we finished 7th...........A FACT.

After almost half a season this year, we are 20th.............A FACT.

One of the other main differences/facts I can see from this season to last season, is that Dick Knight, personally, ripped out the heart of the team last season, and this season he has allowed the present manager to sign a whole host of players..............which, at present, have been a dismal failure.

:clap: top post

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rubbish. You don't half spout some drivel.

I have just read your post and my opinion it is a case of touche you live in a dream world picking out isolated games when in the vast majority we were either outplayed or unable to hold a lead. The division last season was very poor and if those same sides were in it thios season none of them would be promoted or in the running for promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here