Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We are never going to be shopping at the Harrods or Fortnum & Mason's of this world, but it's looking like even Waitrose & M&S are out of our reach.

Maybe we need to start shopping in the Lidl and Aldi of League 2?

Eoin Doyle, Ryan Bowman, or Crawley's own Ollie Palmer (all 6ft 4in of him)

Or get the 'Beast' in from Wycombe 'Adebayo Akinfenwa' - would love to see him knock a few of the prima donna centre halves about of the Top 6!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I reckon we'll go for Brewster if he's allowed to go for £20m.

Villa surely won't be after him anymore now.

Sheff Utd and Palace are after him too.

Other clubs are making moves now Batman to Palace, Watkins to Villa and Wilson to Newcastle in last day or so...This starts clearing path for other clubs such as ourselves. Id imagine Brewster fits nicely into our strategy (especially after success of Lamptey etc) so hopefully we show our hand on the Breswter deal...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What’s the worst that can happen? We go back to the Championship and TB can reflect on whether or not he should have given that boat a really good shove this transfer window. I refuse to get stressed by it, I like it here but I also like the extra games and the thrill of winning more games in the Championship. The football has been much improved and maybe we’ll have enough to stay up, maybe we won’t but it’s nearly always fun following the Albion

I think we’ll get somebody in but it’s going to be another punt, not a name

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Other clubs are making moves now Batman to Palace, Watkins to Villa and Wilson to Newcastle in last day or so...This starts clearing path for other clubs such as ourselves. Id imagine Brewster fits nicely into our strategy (especially after success of Lamptey etc) so hopefully we show our hand on the Breswter deal...

I'd say that relying on Maupay plus two 20 year old rookies is a very risky strategy.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
If Barber and/or bloom come out and say by the end of the window, That our long tracked targets signed for our opposition. Many fans are gonna be so pissed. This can't keep happening. Fans have got really excited since the long term goal set by bloom is to be a top 10 team. The facilities and support are already here for that. It's not going to get any easier in the future. And I doubt it's going to be possible by doing it with all home grown talent. Not in Tony's lifetime.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What’s the worst that can happen? We go back to the Championship and TB can reflect on whether or not he should have given that boat a really good shove this transfer window. I refuse to get stressed by it, I like it here but I also like the extra games and the thrill of winning more games in the Championship. The football has been much improved and maybe we’ll have enough to stay up, maybe we won’t but it’s nearly always fun following the Albion

Selfish attitude people would lose their jobs, but not to worry you can see us beat Barnsley at home.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011

Not sure if Tony would be willing to pay the premier league wages to keep the players, from of his own pocket. We go down, The players we need get stripped from the squad for financial stability, just like 90% of the clubs that gown down.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Selfish attitude people would lose their jobs, but not to worry you can see us beat Barnsley at home.

It may come as a surprise to you but I have absolutely no influence on what will happen, so how on earth is it a selfish attitude to say I’d rather stay here but wouldn’t be that stressed if we ended up back in the Championship?

It’s TB’s call 100%, don’t try and put any of the blame on me :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure if Tony would be willing to pay the premier league wages to keep the players, from of his own pocket. We go down, The players we need get stripped from the squad for financial stability, just like 90% of the clubs that gown down.

As I said on the previous post, it’’s TB’s call and responsibility. Of course we would lose our best players but isn’t the academy in place to cover that scenario as well as save on players we buy?

Would my season ticket price go down? I doubt it and I wouldn’t moan about it either.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
As I said on the previous post, it’’s TB’s call and responsibility. Of course we would lose our best players but isn’t the academy in place to cover that scenario as well as save on players we buy?

I doubt very much that we would have enough academy players for a competitive championship team, I seem to remember Liverpool fielding there academy team last season in domestic trophy and got hammered 5-0 by Villa.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I doubt very much that we would have enough academy players for a competitive championship team, I seem to remember Liverpool fielding there academy team last season in domestic trophy and got hammered 0-5.

We would not lose the first team, just the best players in it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If Barber and/or bloom come out and say by the end of the window, That our long tracked targets signed for our opposition. Many fans are gonna be so pissed. This can't keep happening. Fans have got really excited since the long term goal set by bloom is to be a top 10 team. The facilities and support are already here for that. It's not going to get any easier in the future. And I doubt it's going to be possible by doing it with all home grown talent. Not in Tony's lifetime.

They are not going to do that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

There's a suggestion that Liverpool would be interested in a buy-back clause in any Brewster deal, so sending him somewhere where he might be expected to play decent football could be a factor. Plus the Lallana influence. But that's clutching at straws somewhat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a suggestion that Liverpool would be interested in a buy-back clause in any Brewster deal, so sending him somewhere where he might be expected to play decent football could be a factor. Plus the Lallana influence. But that's clutching at straws somewhat.

The obvious place to send him is Sheff Utd. They are desperately short up front, but with a great manager, plenty of decent players elsewhere in the squad and only a couple of hours away down the M62.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I'd have thought the striker strategy is to buy young and develop them over time towards the first team. Makes the interim nervy. Nothing wrong in taking on loan signings during that interim - yes we develop for others, but we are developing our own at the same time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Maybe but it’s an interesting possibility, exciting even

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ring-selling-20-year-old-with-buy-back-clause

Newcastle and Villa have just spunked a load of money on strikers, maybe that puts us in a better position (we are desperate :smile:) along with Sheffield United

Oh well, another potential striker to end up being disappointing for us when we miss out...but by the law of averages we will eventually get one.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How much have we spent this window so far? 800k?

In lieu of a transfer fee I reckon Adam Lallana probably got a fairly hefty 'signing on' fee and of course Ben White got a 5-8% wage increase which is probably as much as a new signing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here