Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am really hoping that the silence from the club right now means I get to taste humble pie soon as our new £30m superstar striker is announced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are silent right now because they are always silent during the transfer window.

Do you get a memory reboot every 6 months and is that why you have to have this shite explained to you, every single window?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jesus wept.

The club had a poor hand WITH Murray, him being here makes no difference either way.

The club had Nunez first in line.
They lost out.
The club now has x, y & z deals to work out.

The only pisser for Barber-Out and co is next team up know the Albion are happy to spend £25m on a striker.
That'll be far more upsetting than losing a player who was never going to play.

???

If we had kept Murray then clubs, competitor and foreign alike, would have let us buy their star strikers at knock down prices.

Sometimes I feel that you know nothing about football, or how the market place works.

:wrong:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Explain why loaning Murray to Watford demonstrates the club “showing our poor hand”. It doesn’t even make sense. Go.

Okay, you have to buy a really high quality supercomputer to enhance your business. You have two pretty good computers and one backup older one.

The sellers of the supercomputer know they have a high quality product, but they also know you can just about get by with the 3 computers you have.

Then you loan your old backup to another company for the rest of it’s working life. You now have just two computers left, and if one breaks down you have no backup and will be bankrupted within the year.

You then enter negotiations with the supercomputer salesman. Do you feel you are in a better position regarding your prospective purchase, or a worse position after you loaned out your backup?

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They are silent right now because they are always silent during the transfer window.

Do you get a memory reboot every 6 months and is that why you have to have this shite explained to you, every single window?

I've just sent [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] an encrypted message, asking him to go into stealth mode and email Paul Barber about the latest striker news.
Shhhh mums the word :wink:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Bit rude. Just particularly quiet right now. Not even BS rumours. I really hope something is going down.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
???

If we had kept Murray then clubs, competitor and foreign alike, would have let us buy their star strikers at knock down prices.

Sometimes I feel that you know nothing about football, or how the market place works.

:wrong:

Just would have been easier. No knock-down prices for strikers even in the midst of a pandemic

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Okay, you have to buy a really high quality supercomputer to enhance your business. You have two pretty good computers and one backup older one.

The sellers of the supercomputer know they have a high quality product, but they also know you can just about get by with the 3 computers you have.

Then you loan your old backup to another company for the rest of it’s working life. You now have just two computers left, and if one breaks down you have no backup and will be bankrupted within the year.

You then enter negotiations with the supercomputer salesman. Do you feel you are in a better position regarding your prospective purchase, or a worse position after you loaned out your backup?

Yes but you are not attempting to buy a supercomputer from a supercomputer salesman are you? You are attempting to buy a supercomputer from another supercomputer owner/user.

All the other supercomputer owner cares about is if he wants to hang on to his supercomputer or get rid. And if he wants to get rid he'll want the best deal he can negotiate. He won't gut you slack just because he thinks you're a gimboid. And he will only crank up the price if you are a competitor in his business area, and it will give you a competitive advantage over him directly if he sells you his supercomputer.

And he doesn't give a stuff, and would never give a stuff whether you still have your old Amstrad in the loft, or have lent it to another supercomputer owner in Watford who has fallen on hard times.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

As an analogy ... that’s shocking.

Letting Murray go will not relegate us, he scored one (yes that’s one) premier league goal last season. He will be 37 this month. If you are implying that our fate rest on the shoulders of 37 year old striker then we are truly screwed. Yes we need a striker but Glenn is not part of the equation and I suspect never was. Let’s face it last season he was back up.
Letting him go to Watford to get playing time is the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just would have been easier. No knock-down prices for strikers even in the midst of a pandemic

So, no variation in price just variation in degree of difficulty in getting a sale?

Crikey this buying and selling of commodities business is far more complicated than I hitherto thought :ohmy:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Brighton Panda supporter reaction to Transfer deadline day!.
40c96cd9726761ed8932cc5fa93d23fb.gif

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes but you are not attempting to buy a supercomputer from a supercomputer salesman are you? You are attempting to buy a supercomputer from another supercomputer owner/user.

All the other supercomputer owner cares about is if he wants to hang on to his supercomputer or get rid. And if he wants to get rid he'll want the best deal he can negotiate. Hw won't gut you slack if he thinks you're a gimboid. And he will only crank up the price if you are a competitor in his business area, and it will give you a competitive advantage over him directly if he sells you his supercomputer.

And he doesn't give a stuff, and would never give a stuff whether you still have your old Amstrad in the loft, or have lent it to another supercomputer owner in Watford who has fallen on hard times.

I was just making a valid point about the kind of negotiations I have led, and explaining to a poster who said they didn’t understand. I stand by the example. Tho I like where you took it. Very entertaining.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was just making a valid point about the kind of negotiations I have led, and explaining to a poster who said they didn’t understand. I stand by the example. Tho I like where you took it. Very entertaining.

Well, really. I can't help feeling that you're not taking our striker transfer crisis seriously. ???

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
As an analogy ... that’s shocking.

Letting Murray go will not relegate us, he scored one (yes that’s one) premier league goal last season. He will be 37 this month. If you are implying that our fate rest on the shoulders of 37 year old striker then we are truly screwed. Yes we need a striker but Glenn is not part of the equation and I suspect never was. Let’s face it last season he was back up.
Letting him go to Watford to get playing time is the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was backup last year. He would have been this season, but even more of a bit part player. Letting him go was correct, but it is all about timing.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, really. I can't help feeling that you're not taking our striker transfer crisis seriously. ???

Just trying to keep the right level of humour in a difficult time for us natural worriers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
He was backup last year. He would have been this season, but even more of a bit part player. Letting him go was correct, but it is all about timing.

It wasn't quite "letting him go", though. He nearly went to Forest in January. We persuaded him to stay, but had to offer him a contract extension as part of that. This gave Glenn a bit of a financial boost, and also enabled us to extract something from another club if and when Glenn wanted to get more first team action. Watford was perfect - close geographically, offering the prospect of first team footie AND rich enough (with parachute payments) to afford whatever loan fee we charged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here