Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus clearly had something lined up. Remember the post Palace wave and the comments on the radio and the coming back out on the pitch after the game to look around???...I can't believe there are still some people who want to defend this guy. How can a manager under contract want to leave a club, right in the middle of a promotion campaign. Which he clearly wanted to do. We were always a stepping stone in Poyet's mind, which some people will say is fair enough for an ambitious manager, which I agree with. But the way he went about things, showed a total lack of class and respect for Mr Bloom.....Anyone that can't see we are better of well shot of him is totally blind....To be honest the way we played the play off semi was nothing short of pathetic.....lack of motivation from the manager maybe, or just a off night??? Because we were a shadow of the side that played Palace off the park a few weeks earlier.

How does lack of motivation result in a 3-0 win over Palace, a 6-1 trouncing of Blackpool, and a good holding game at Selhurst Park?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the moral of the story is:-

'DON'T PI$$ OFF TONY BLOOM

Leaving for a 'better' job in March, concentrating on your media 'career' in August.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The opposite, I'd have said. Gus called TB on March 13 ("four days before the Palace league game") and told him he wanted to leave, the next day if possible.

The following week he was offered the Reading job but turned it down. Was that the action of a man who was desperate to leave?

And was it grounds for suspension? If so, why wait until the end of the season.

To me it answers nothing.

A likely scenario is that Gus was offered the job at Reading just before the palace game, phoned Tony up saying he was off and could he leave the next day, Tony say's no and then HAS to turn the Reading job down due to contract/compensation. Would explain a lot of the animosity afterwards.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the moral of the story is:-

'DON'T PI$$ OFF TONY BLOOM

Leaving for a 'better' job in March, concentrating on your media 'career' in August.

Tony Bloom - Holding All The Aces :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A more likely scenario is that Gus was offered the job at Reading just before the palace game, phoned Tony up to basicaly saying he was off and could he leave the next day, Tony say's no and then HAS to turn the Reading job down due to contract/compensation.

'With respect it was only Reading' was the exact words used in a pre-match press conference. Poyet & Tanno did not consider Reading.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What would have been the point of leaving us for a team that was basically relegated ? He had his eyes elsewhere on a team more established

That would of course make more sense.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
How does lack of motivation result in a 3-0 win over Palace, a 6-1 trouncing of Blackpool, and a good holding game at Selhurst Park?

I was talking about the play off game...There is no point discussing it, Poyet wasn't interested towards the end, if people think he was that's fine, but he wasn't. If you look hard enough at all the strange decisions it plain for all to see. Didn't Vicente start against Wolves( a nothing game) then warm the bench at Selhurst, then no where to be seen when we most needed him.....It's been done to death anyway and lets all move on with a new seaon....Garcia has got more class and dignity in his little finger than Poyet has in his entire body....The man's a prick and after tonight hopefully a lot more people will see it.....Greatest Brighton manager, do me a favour. What he done is nothing short of disgraceful and should not be forgotten by the fans....and all because he didn't get his own way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was talking about the play off game...There is no point discussing it, Poyet wasn't interested towards the end, if people think he was that's fine, but he wasn't. If you look hard enough at all the strange decisions it plain for all to see. Didn't Vicente start against Wolves( a nothing game) then warm the bench at Selhurst, then no where to be seen when we most needed him.....It's been done to death anyway and lets all move on with a new seaon....Garcia has got more class and dignity in his little finger than Poyet has in his entire body....The man's a prick and after tonight hopefully a lot more people will see it.....Greatest Brighton manager, do me a favour. What he done is nothing short of disgraceful and should not be forgotten by the fans....and all because he didn't get his own way.

It happened two months before that. We all know your spiteful opinion of Gus and your blinkered views. Maybe Tony Bloom slipped up by not accepting Poyet's resignation and getting a temp manager in like Adkins who could have finished the job off?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It happened two months before that. We all know your spiteful opinion of Gus and your blinkered views. Maybe Tony Bloom slipped up by not accepting Poyet's resignation and getting a temp manager in like Adkins who could have finished the job off?

I think my views on Poyet have just been given some credibility after tonight don't you???

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Bloom sounded quite hurt when answering that question. Poyet shot himself in the foot before the Palace game. What did he expect the club to do after that? Beg him to stay?

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised!

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I think my views on Poyet have just been given some credibility after tonight don't you???

Have always agreed with you Kev regarding Poyet and it was always going to end this way, it was just a matter of when.

I predict that very soon some of the Gus lickers will be on here defending Gus as the saviour of BHA, "Look where we were" "Look where we are"

:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here