Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If he wanted the reading or sunderland jobs, why ask to go at the end of the season? When did Fergie announce his retirement, perhaps gus thought he had a chance...

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
If he wanted the reading or sunderland jobs, why ask to go at the end of the season? When did Fergie announce his retirement, perhaps gus thought he had a chance...

Not with the MU job but if Moyes knew he was going maybe the role he vacated?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're suggesting that a Premier League club with a manager in place tapped up a manager at another club? I'm utterly and completely shocked.

Just a rumour that I heard. I'm not suggesting anything, in fact, I was wondering if anyone else had heard the same rumour?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You're suggesting that a Premier League club with a manager in place tapped up a manager at another club? I'm utterly and completely shocked.

But fulham were sold in the off season, so would it have been the old owners tapping up, or someone who was not at that point officially affiliated with any club having a friendly chat?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When was it announced Stoke wouldn't be renewing pulis's contract (or pulis didn't want to stay, whatever it was that happened there) at the end of the season?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Well, he probably expected a job to become free. But maybe the chairman of the club left and not the manager.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He said gus asked to leave at the end of the season, but he (gus) would be ok if it was the next day.

How has this made anything clearer? Is asking to leave gross misconduct? Is the manager asking to leave reason to suspend Tanno and Charlie? From that moment on we were undefeated until the play off second leg and moved from 7th to 4th, so it's not like he stopped trying, or at least trying to stop being effective. It made nothing clearer.

Read between the lines. Ask yourself why a manager would ask to leave paid employment, especially when, as a manager, the team are on the brink of the play-offs. Is it because he doesn't want to be a manager or is because he has something else in the pipeline, whether that be Fulham, Reading, Sunderland or A.N. Other. What is not clear is whether GP wanted to leave unhindered by the compensation in his contract that we would be due and that could be a reason why Bloom forced him to stay until the end.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Of course, it may be that GP was simply unhappy with something and wanted to leave. Reading coincidentally came up the following week, but wasn't the "unbelievable" job he wanted.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Themore I read this the more I think this may have been a contributing factor to our play off loss besides woeful tactics that is, lets be frank Gus is the guy who would have pumped the team up for a big game and Palace were clearly far more up for the occasion. If this is true anyway and Gus wanted to walk out days before the Palace league game then every last bit of respect I ever had for him has gone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Themore I read this the more I think this may have been a contributing factor to our play off loss besides woeful tactics that is, lets be frank Gus is the guy who would have pumped the team up for a big game and Palace were clearly far more up for the occasion. If this is true anyway and Gus wanted to walk out days before the Palace league game then every last bit of respect I ever had for him has gone.

We won that game 3-0 and then finished in the playoffs so it didn't affect the team. We also trounced Blackpool.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Read between the lines. Ask yourself why a manager would ask to leave paid employment, especially when, as a manager, the team are on the brink of the play-offs. Is it because he doesn't want to be a manager or is because he has something else in the pipeline, whether that be Fulham, Reading, Sunderland or A.N. Other. What is not clear is whether GP wanted to leave unhindered by the compensation in his contract that we would be due and that could be a reason why Bloom forced him to stay until the end.

I don't deny that could follow, but it isn't exactly explicit clarification of what I asked, is it? It doesn't explain the suspensions of tanno and charlie, or why it occurred at the end of the season. Nothing has been made all clear by this revelation. What would have made it all clear is the bit that Tony didn't talk about.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Gus clearly had something lined up. Remember the post Palace wave and the comments on the radio and the coming back out on the pitch after the game to look around???...I can't believe there are still some people who want to defend this guy. How can a manager under contract want to leave a club, right in the middle of a promotion campaign. Which he clearly wanted to do. We were always a stepping stone in Poyet's mind, which some people will say is fair enough for an ambitious manager, which I agree with. But the way he went about things, showed a total lack of class and respect for Mr Bloom.....Anyone that can't see we are better off well shot of him is totally blind....To be honest the way we played the play off semi was nothing short of pathetic.....lack of motivation from the manager maybe, or just a off night??? Because we were a shadow of the side that played Palace off the park a few weeks earlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here