Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small things that irritate you.....

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Having to answer a load of security questions from companies that phone me. I get why, but it still annoys me. As does trying to speak to someone with a brain on help lines.

Trying to escalate a complaint because you are getting nowhere only to be told a supervisor is not available.

Being left on hold for ages on a phone call and repeatedly being told on a recorded message how important my call is, it’s obviously not that important or someone would speak to me.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Tech companies adding AI to EVERYTHING. I think AI is a very powerful tool, especially for things like scientific research. I don't need it on WhatsApp or GMail though.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Had a call from your bank recently? They definitely do
No, as it happens.

I've had it once recently (can't remember who it was, I think it might have been the RAC) and just hung up on them on the basis that I'm not willing to take this random person's word for it that they're actually from whichever organisation they claim to be calling from. And if it were that important they'd find a less unnerving way to contact me.

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
No, as it happens.

I've had it once recently (can't remember who it was, I think it might have been the RAC) and just hung up on them on the basis that I'm not willing to take this random person's word for it that they're actually from whichever organisation they claim to be calling from. And if it were that important they'd find a less unnerving way to contact me.
Yes, it should be a two-way thing, so we ask them a question, which an imposter would not be able to answer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having to answer a load of security questions from companies that phone me. I get why, but it still annoys me. As does trying to speak to someone with a brain on help lines.

Trying to escalate a complaint because you are getting nowhere only to be told a supervisor is not available.

Being left on hold for ages on a phone call and repeatedly being told on a recorded message how important my call is, it’s obviously not that important or someone would speak to me.

Lucky you never have to call O2 or HMRC, you can literally be left on hold for an hour.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, it should be a two-way thing, so we ask them a question, which an imposter would not be able to answer.
It was weird, I picked up the phone, and he just launched straight into "Hi I'm from such and such, can you answer these security questions please?"

No idea what they'd have wanted to call me about and they haven't tried again since.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Lucky you never have to call O2 or HMRC, you can literally be left on hold for an hour.
Done both and been luckier than that, but it was still an annoyingly long wait in both cases!

I have never had to speak to Virgin though, I gather they are Champion’s League winners at being hard to speak to

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Done both and been luckier than that, but it was still an annoyingly long wait in both cases!

I have never had to speak to Virgin though, I gather they are Champion’s League winners at being hard to speak to

We wanted to migrate a mobile number between an old and brand new iPhones. Six one hour phone calls to O2, we thought we'd cracked it when one seemingly intelligent person there explained their mistake and reassured us on how it was now going to complete, she "took ownership". Guess what .... it didn't, so we gave up.

W@nkers.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
People still not understanding the concept of house prices increasing way beyond the rate of pay. It's not an opinion. It's literally fact. Yet they would still say "young people can easily afford it they give up netflix and avocados"

Sure Janet. That £120 a year will soon add up to a 30k deposit. I'm on the ladder and in my late 30s, I'm lucky. But it just drives me mad as it's so thick.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Opened a new bag of pasta and a new bag of rice in the last week or so, absolutely convinced those things are rigged to tear in a million directions and cause you to lose a load of the product on the floor.

I can’t prove this but I know it’s true.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
People still not understanding the concept of house prices increasing way beyond the rate of pay. It's not an opinion. It's literally fact. Yet they would still say "young people can easily afford it they give up netflix and avocados"

Sure Janet. That £120 a year will soon add up to a 30k deposit. I'm on the ladder and in my late 30s, I'm lucky. But it just drives me mad as it's so thick.

Those thicko’s also always say “They didn’t have to pay 16% mortgage rates”. That actual rate lasted months as Lamont was booted out, and was relative to now incredibly modest mortgage loans, from memory £75k would’ve been very typical for house in 1992, £50k borrowed for a flat. 100,000’s were repossessed or handed their keys in, negative equity, it was tough. But SE England house prices have risen 6 or 7 fold since, a couple of generations have little hope of escaping sky high rent or sofa surfing.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Lack of car courtesy, i.e. not indicating and not acknowledging when another driver has stopped for you to pass.

Both require the swiftest of hand movements or a flash of the headlights, you don't even need to let go of the steering wheel.

This is my barometer of how f*cked society is, because if people can't be bothered to take a second to do that then what chance of them taking more time to, say, recycle correctly or research a news story from an independent source?
Middle lane drivers on the motorway who can‘t be arsed to change lane because they may be overtaking a slower vehicle about 2 miles further on

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tech companies adding AI to EVERYTHING. I think AI is a very powerful tool, especially for things like scientific research. I don't need it on WhatsApp or GMail though.
It isn't.

It isn't even all that good for cheating when writing essays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here