Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smacking Children

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It's starting to show that you never got smacked

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I see you like to bully Or at least try to like I said my it would have done you and your mate a favour Is you had both been smacked
Why is it people such as you like to make things personel on here probably cuckheld in life ?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
We've smacked all our kids. Gentle slap on back of hand. The first one got more than the second and my third hardly at all. It has always been for disobedience. We always explain to our kids what behaviour we expect, if they don't do as they are told or are refusing to comply we start counting slowly to three. If we get to three the rule is they get a smack. We now never get past 1, they just do as they are told. I think being consistent is important, don't just threaten kids and not follow through. Our kids are 9, 7, 4 and all do as they are told. I think you discipline those you love and smacking in moderation is a definitely the right thing to do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You are, it may not be physical threats, but your snide remarks and superior , sneering attitude are distinctly unpleasant.

Yeah fair enough, i apologise, it's been a long day

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've smacked all our kids. Gentle slap on back of hand. The first one got more than the second and my third hardly at all. It has always been for disobedience. We always explain to our kids what behaviour we expect, if they don't do as they are told or are refusing to comply we start counting slowly to three. If we get to three the rule is they get a smack. We now never get past 1, they just do as they are told. I think being consistent is important, don't just threaten kids and not follow through. Our kids are 9, 7, 4 and all do as they are told. I think you discipline those you love and smacking in moderation is a definitely the right thing to do.

It is not definitely the right thing to do at all. It might be in your family, but I quite happy discipline my kids without having to resort to smacking them on the back of the hand. Inflicting discipline through fear of pain is not discipline at all, it is simply fear, hence it was banned from every institution in the country some time ago.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It is not definitely the right thing to do at all. It might be in your family, but I quite happy discipline my kids without having to resort to smacking them on the back of the hand. Inflicting discipline through fear of pain is not discipline at all, it is simply fear, hence it was banned from every institution in the country some time ago.
Different children respond to different things , i dont smack my kids because i dont feel ive ever needed to, anyone who thinks we dont have a serious problem in this country regarding behavioural standards of some kids is blinkered to say the least.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But those behavioural standards are not dependent on smacking or not smacking. They are partly based on lack of discipline. Kids can still have discipline and know right from wrong without smacking.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Soon to be a parent so bound to find out what will or wont work(!) and reserve the right to revise my opinion..
Have always been of the opinion that it isnt the smack that's the point, but the deterent it becomes. I was occasionally smacked as a child if naughty and it taught me the value of consequence for doing something i shouldnt. It hasnt turned me into a raving lunatic who wants to beat everyone in sight.

On the other hand i dont endorse it as a means of instilling discipline, although i wonder in many cases what would be suitable because i certainly dont buy the whole nice calm talking to approach, it certainly didnt act as a deterent to me when i was younger..

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Smacking done in the right way can be very beneficial to a child to help them know what is acceptable behaviour and can actually save them a great deal of pain in the future. Sending a kid to their room in the same way sending someone to prison hardly, if ever rectifies the root cause of the problem. I have never liked smacking any if my kids but I do it because I love them and believe in the long run it is in their best interest. That is my opinion and it is shared by an awful lot of other people.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As many have said it is different for all kids. Shouting and yelling at my oldest doesn't work work because he just gets angry and hysterical, quietly and calmly talking about what he did wrong, why it was wrong and what the consequence will be does work.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Smacking done in the right way can be very beneficial to a child to help them know what is acceptable behaviour and can actually save them a great deal of pain in the future. Sending a kid to their room in the same way sending someone to prison hardly, if ever rectifies the root cause of the problem. I have never liked smacking any if my kids but I do it because I love them and believe in the long run it is in their best interest. That is my opinion and it is shared by an awful lot of other people.

How does smacking rectify the root cause of the problem? Surely that can only be done by talking?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Different children respond to different things , i dont smack my kids because i dont feel ive ever needed to, anyone who thinks we dont have a serious problem in this country regarding behavioural standards of some kids is blinkered to say the least.

I honestly believe no human being needs to be disciplined through physical punishment of any kind during their upbringing. I totally agree there is a significant problem with some of our 'youth' but this could be as easily attributed to violence in the home as to a lack of effective parenting. Each child does respond to different things, but one thing is for sure, statistically at least, violence breeds violence, and don't delude yourselves, a smack is a violent act however you dress it up as 'gentle' or 'careful' or 'otherwise'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/oct/25/violencebegetsviolence

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So if you believe that parent can/should smack their kids. Does that mean you think teachers should be able to also?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Are you suggesting that the only alternative to smacking you could come up with as an effective discipline was to send them to their rooms? What about suspension of treats? Withdrawal of privileges such as watching TV or computer games or anything they enjoy? Not allowing them to go to activities etc. etc. Every bit as effective as a smack without the fear of pain that goes with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here