Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smacking Children

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
How many posting on this thread have children i wonder ?
their use to be a one eyed copper over whitehawk [way before my time ] But anyway he used to give the young thugs a choice The police station or a punch up with him over the park Everyone i heard speak about him Has nothing but respect for him

I have 2 kids and I'm a full time stay at home dad. If teenagers get in a scrap fine, that happens, but
seeing grown ups hit kids is wrong and nothing will change my mind.

Don't get me wrong I've wanted to hit my boys, but I've taken time out and cooled down, not once
after I've regained my composure have I thought 'I wish I had hit them'.

Hitting kids only benefits the grown up who has lost their temper

macky

Dec 28, 2004
As i said everyone is different And im sure we all try to do our best by our children But hitting my son makes me no more wrong than you not hitting

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...you're suggesting there is no alternative but a slap. Thankfully I've got a lot more creativity when it comes to kids!

read again, i didnt suggest anything. i merely pointing out the flawed thinking that escalation is only a problem for corporal punishment.

i really like the "creative" use of bribes for good behaviour too, a valuable lesson for life. :thumbsup: :facepalm:

Last edited:

My father only beat me once. For what I did, I deserved it. I was caned at prep school but only for breaking the rules. Smacking/ caning children, boys only, should only be done as a last resort and never be administered in a fit of anger. These days I have to pay for a good whipping but never when the wife is about.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
All Tory Government Cabinets normally pay thousands to beaten.

Save them the cost of sexual enjoyment and never vote for them again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is an approach called restorative practices or (restorative justice in adulthood) which advocates people facing up to their wrongdoings and taking responsibility for them. Its essenece is best described in an example. An AFL footballer called Steve Johnson was caught speeding, way over the limit, just before the season started. The police dealt with him in their way but the club decided to use a restorative justice approach. He was told to go and work with road trauma victims and learn about the effects of speeding etc. The bloke was a bit wild before this incident and had been caught drink driving. Since then we have heard nothing about bad behaviour from the boy, just a solid professional. No resentment, no long club ban where bordom can set in and other issues can arise.

I am a teacher and i use this approach at school, kids don't feel resentment for their consequence because they understand that it is there to fix up the behaviour and mend the relationship with those effected by it. Often this consequence can be negotiated (negotiated not chosen) so the kids feel that thier punishment is not being done to them but something that they have chosen to do.

Never underestimate the power of the carrot in shaping children, we want them to know right from wrong, then tell them and when they are doing the right thing, reward them. most kids don't need this reward to be lollies or treats most are happy with verbal praise or a smile. i had rewards in my classroom last year until i explained that really they didn't need them at this age and rewards are for the kids that struggle with doing the right thing. Over half my class asked to not get table points and other rewards and just asked to be told if they were doing good things, not doing the right things but doing good things over and above the norm.

Child Psychology is an incredibly complex field and one i am only beginning to understand but often children cannot behave in the appropriate way and need to learn how to. The damage done by physically harming (or punishing as someone alluded to earlier) a child for something they cannot do is huge and, from what i have read, it is most often these children that cause social problems. This is the resentment and anger which manifests itself in later life and causes kids to go off the rails.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Your a teacher and pulled me up on My spelling earlier One is i suggest that you take a look at Your own
And another as a teacher surely you should know better. Than to deride Someone for their ( yes its spelt their ) lack of education .
You should be ashamed of Yourself .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Your a teacher and pulled me up on My spelling earlier One is i suggest that you take a look at Your own
And another as a teacher surely you should know better. Than to deride Someone for their ( yes its spelt their ) lack of education .

I apologised for that last night, move on mate.

And you have started using full stops, maybe I'm just a good teacher.

Last edited:

Are you on a wind-up? I'm not a teacher so don't feel any shame in saying that you come across as barely literate. Either that or you wrote that last effort drunk.

As regards the debate - none of you are minded to change your opinions, that's clear. All everyone is doing is finding different ways of saying the same thing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are you on a wind-up? I'm not a teacher so don't feel any shame in saying that you come across as barely literate. Either that or you wrote that last effort drunk.

As regards the debate - none of you are minded to change your opinions, that's clear. All everyone is doing is finding different ways of saying the same thing.

What is wrong with that, this is NSC.

What is wrong with that, this is NSC.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just symptomatic of what Edward De Bono would describe as 'Rock Logic'. We need to start thinking in less rigid terms if we are to reach consensus on debates. Ironically enough, De Bono advised the UK Government that one possible cause of the Middle Eastern conflicts is a lack of zinc in their diets making Middle Eastern people more aggressive. It seems quite apt, given this thread.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Nothing wrong with it, it's just symptomatic of what Edward De Bono would describe as 'Rock Logic'. We need to start thinking in less rigid terms if we are to reach consensus on debates. Ironically enough, De Bono advised the UK Government that one possible cause of the Middle Eastern conflicts is a lack of zinc in their diets making Middle Eastern people more aggressive. It seems quite apt, given this thread.

An internet forum isn't the place to reach a consensus of debate, it is a place to air views and to read what other people think. There have been interesting insights and experiences on this thread and i have enjoyed reading them. Which is what an internet forum is for.

If you look hard enough there actually is a consensus in this debate. We all believe in discipline and we all agree that it is lacking in certain areas of society. We disagree on how that discipline should be administered.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Funny, there's one thing that Social Workers and Child Abusers have in common - they can't understand the difference between a slap, which may sting a bit, but is for the child's own good (they don't all respond to verbal reasoning!) and child abuse a la Victoria Climbie.
To both groups, it's all the same thing, which is part of the reason why everything's such a bloody mess these days!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funny, there's one thing that Social Workers and Child Abusers have in common - they can't understand the difference between a slap, which may sting a bit, but is for the child's own good (they don't all respond to verbal reasoning!) and child abuse a la Victoria Climbie.
To both groups, it's all the same thing, which is part of the reason why everything's such a bloody mess these days!

No, No it isn't. do you have any evidence to back up this rather ludicrous statement?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, plenty. But it's a point of view that you don't want to see, so there's no point in replying further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here