Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smacking Children

Danny Seagull said:
Jackson is now sadly more famous for what he's done to his face then his music.........what his father did to him completely shattered his self confidence and made him destroy his own body.

Did it really? Is that what Jackson has said? No. Yes his father used to beat him, but then he used to beat all of them. Why is it Michael is the only one to have suffered so spectacularly? Anyway, according to the great man himself (and he is a great man) his turning white is down to a rare condition, nothing to do with his dad (although that doesn't explain his f***ed eyes, nose, chin and mouth).

If Michael Jackson really was so unconfident there is no way on earth he would have gone on to become the world's greatest entertainer. He would have simply shrunk into a ball and probably ended up commiting suicide.

The dog example probably wasn't a good one. Dogs are animals and are therefore easily conditioned.

Michael's never said his father made him turn out like that but then again he's not one to admit to things! He did say in that Martin Bashir interview though that he hated his father when he used to hit him and was terrified of him and that he still feels his father has an influence over him now. Not much is known about the other Jacksons (although I hear LaToya is a bit f***ed up) probably because they're not as famous. Michael was completely normal for want of a better word in the Jackson 5 band, as were all the others.

He blatantly has had something done to his face because vitiligo or whatever it's called only causes white patches on black skin.

I think dwayne from off here also has that :lolol:

Last edited:

Dicktator Knight

Jul 7, 2003
never mind smacking children ive had a work with Steve Coppell and I have left himin no doubt unles sthe lads show the right committment next season he is under clear order from me to give each one of them a smack as they enter the dressing room and instead of MOM we shall be introducing a wooden spoon award for the worst player of the match.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Danny Seagull's most serious post ever. Closly followed by 'Would you suck your own willy?' :rolleyes:

:D

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Danny Seagull said:
And you and Dick Eater Night have ruined it :nono:

Can I smack you with a pool que?

Oh go on then.

Carry on mate, its a good thread. A rare treat.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
By the same token, is it okay to hit a dog?

Absolutely it is. Hitting animals and little children is the only way to communicate an immediate danger, for example.

That said, going over the top by seriously injuring a child or animal just for kicks should usually be avoided.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Who ever said that 'ignoring bad behaviour and encouraging good behaviour' was spot on.

Mr Danny Seagull is also correct in what he says, especially in the notion of getting children to clean up a mess that they have made or fixing something that they have broken.

You need to look at why children are doing what they do, and 8 or 9 times out of 10, they do things for attention. Children want attention, and they cannot get positive attention, they will go for negative attention instead.

I'm a primary school teacher, and while I would never hit a child (as I would get the sack!) I do (even though it is not in the rule book!) lead a child out of the room by their arm. My rational for this is that, I always speak to them first, if they do not leave, I prefer to think of the other 24 students who are missing out on learning due to one student, and therefore I will physically remove that student.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
tosh danny

how do you dicipline child who is for example throwing stones at a fire engine?

How about explaining to them the job that the fire engine does? maybe followed by a loss of privileges.
How about taking them down to the fire station and have one of the firemen explain what they do?
How about taking them down to the fire station and making them apologize to the firemen and tell them what they have done?
How about taking them to visit a burns unit at the hospital and talking to some people who have been in a fire?
How about grounding them, taking their favorite video/game/toy (it is about finding their currency).
How about teaching them about the job firemen do so they don't throw the stones in the first place.

I don't think you should mistake lack of hitting with lack of discipline. i don't hit my kids but they are disciplined, they do show respect and they suffer a consequence for their wrongdoings.
I think my kids would prefer a slap on the legs to making them go and apologise to the people effected by their actions.

Check out this link on restorative practices

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Absolutely it is. Hitting animals and little children is the only way to communicate an immediate danger, for example.

That said, going over the top by seriously injuring a child or animal just for kicks should usually be avoided.

And you bounced this eight year old thread why exactly? ???

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Good debate,many views.A little stinging slap on the back of the legs is ok,never,ever hit a child round the head/ear. I came out of the supermarket the other day(great place for screaming kids and mothers saying"If you don't behave I will not buy you some sweets!"). As I was going back to the car ,a mother and boy about 5/6 in front of me were walking in the same direction,the boy was punching her legs and shouting" F**K OFF! I hate you",mother did nothing...that is not installing respect,then a child thinks ok,I can get away with whatever I want now,whereas a slap would make him think twice and in time he would think is it worth it, punish a child by all means but do not forget to show that you do not hold a grudge against them and always show that you love them and the reason why they were punished.I bought up 6 children from 2 marriages,3 of the children were handicapped,but it was nice to go out and hear people say,Are'nt they well behaved and mannered...that is your reward.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The fact we have access to such old postings is an invaluable resource. We can monitor how attitudes have changed in the interim. ...
True. I was reading the posts and for one of them I thought "Who wrote this limp-wristed, liberal twaddle?" and I realised it was me - eight years ago!

Flog 'em to within an inch of their lives, that's what I say. That'll soon learn 'em.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you need to resort to a slap to punish a child then you've lost control in the first place, you have resorted to the absolute bottom rung of child discipline.

I've lost my temper with my kids, I suspect everyone has, but I always regret it and you know, it says a lot about your own intellect and self control when an U10 can make you snap. I've never hit them though, always take a deep breath, count to ten, then let them know all their Star Wars toys will be in the charity shop tomorrow morning. That tends to have a much greater impact than a red mark on the back of their legs!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I was never smacked, I was taught from a young age if I did something wrong I was not aloud desert or I would be grounded from going out with my friends or from my PC/PS (what ever I used at the time). If the parents are mentally strong enough they should not ever need to smack their children for them to grow up with respect for authority.

larus

The problems start with how parents control very young children. The child must learn that the parent means what they say. Too many empty 'threats' of punishment. Simple rule; if you make a threat to punish the child and they then are disobedient again, then enforce the punishment. If this is done without anger but in a controlled way, the child will learn that the parent means what they say.

Once the child understands this, the use of shouting can be used to gain the childs attention; for example, in a dangerous situation, The shock effect will stop them in their tracks.

However, the problem is too many parent think that the easiest thing to do is to go for the quiet life; pamper their little darling with junk food, toys, video games, TV. This is a sympton of the problems with society and the chasing of materialistic goals. Family life has been destroyed; not by governments, but by society. Just my opinion .....

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The problems start with how parents control very young children. The child must learn that the parent means what they say. Too many empty 'threats' of punishment. Simple rule; if you make a threat to punish the child and they then are disobedient again, then enforce the punishment. If this is done without anger but in a controlled way, the child will learn that the parent means what they say.

Once the child understands this, the use of shouting can be used to gain the childs attention; for example, in a dangerous situation, The shock effect will stop them in their tracks.

However, the problem is too many parent think that the easiest thing to do is to go for the quiet life; pamper their little darling with junk food, toys, video games, TV. This is a sympton of the problems with society and the chasing of materialistic goals. Family life has been destroyed; not by governments, but by society. Just my opinion .....

Exactly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

speaking a lot of sense

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Every child is different As is every parent At the end of the day no one knows child the Way a parent does I smack my boy Because i know when he needs /deserves a smack
i now don't have to smack him at all I can take him anywhere without being sown up
He still has his moments of course he does He's a boy after all
But he knows when He's wrong And i can now talk to Him in a reasonable manner
I hope I can carry on doing it this way But if there ever comes a time when i have to smack Him again then i wont hesitate to do it wherever I am
and I don't give two moneys what anyone else thinks
I would rather smack him now Than see Him turn into one of those horrible little scrotes you see around town
At the end of the day He's my son and I'm the one that has to live with the way He turns out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here