Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skyrim

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think I do prefer the Capital Wasteland to New Vegas, but that's not to say that NV is a piece of shit. I've pumped well over 100 hours into both of them and enjoyed them immensely.

But I would agree that Fallout 3 has more of a feeling of being entirely alone in the wastes whilst New Vegas is just that bit more developed. But then it is set further ahead in time so it makes sense that life has evolved beyond the rough and ready nature of Fallout 3.

Both are EPIC games and I love them to bits. I started playing Fallout 3 again from the beginning recently but annoyingly Three Dog keeps barking on about things that haven't actually happened yet, as if I'm just continuing from my old game where I've done everything. It isn't the same second time round though. You know where everything is and what to expect so that air of mystery and wonder is gone.

Might be more to be gained from playing through New Vegas for a second time and befriending different factions however. Also some of the downloadable add ons sound pretty decent, to breathe some new life into the Mojave Wasteland.

DAMMIT why is there no news on Fallout 4? I want this game NOW.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
The same team of developers who worked on FO3 have done Skyrim for Bethesda.

Have played quite a bit now without any unnecessary repetition.

Awesome awesome game.

10/10 from me.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
How's everyone doing on this? Really enjoying it, have joined the Dark Brotherhood again, my favourite part of Oblivion

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Getting through it way too quickly, Dark Brotherhood done, civil war done, halfway through main quest and level 27. Good thing is I'm already looking forward to my next character so I can play the through again in a completely different fashion :D still 40 odd hours left in my current guy though :guitar:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Getting through it way too quickly, Dark Brotherhood done, civil war done, halfway through main quest and level 27. Good thing is I'm already looking forward to my next character so I can play the through again in a completely different fashion :D still 40 odd hours left in my current guy though :guitar:

How many hours a day are you playing ffs

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I am determined to like this game so I gave Oblivion another crack to see if I could get into it and this time it actually worked. Played 35 hours worth so far and I'm only level 3. Seems it was a slow burner but I have managed to get into it and am enjoying the place immensely.

I've got hours of Oblivion ahead of me so I'm in no hurry to get Skyrim. With any luck it'll have come down in price by the time I'm done in Cyrodiil

Mar 13, 2008
Took a while to get into it but now it is very enjoyable. still not worked out all the best ways to play but getting their.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Don't need to exploit followers you can just pickpocket your money back from any trainer after you've paid them to train you! Maxed out my one handed weapons and pickpocket in about 30 mins!

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Played 42 hours and only level 16, so much more to do. Obviously I haven't been exploiting skill ups with companions / pickpocketing, I feel like you're cheating yourself when you do that, but each to their own.

For the record I couldn't get into Oblivion either, and loving this game.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I've played it for probably about 10-12 hours in total and up to level 13 I think - but I think I'm in the minority who aren't particularly blown away by Skyrim. I don't know if I've been spoiled in the past with MMORPGs that I've been playing since the mid 90s, but there's nothing spectacular in this that has really impressed me? I spent an hour yesterday trying to find the path up to High Hrothgar, which was less than thrilling. I usually play dual-wielding assassin style characters, but I find that near impossible without the ability to block since there's no dexterity/dodge element. The 'skill gain' is a little false, since it's really just a method to allow the spending of perks which is the only real measure of progression in a skill (since a smith with 100 smithing skill will still only be able to work on basic iron without spending perks).

I also find it irritating, for a game that has been so lauded for it's flexibility and exploration, that I can still approach a building and - rather than get a warning so I can ascertain whether or not someone is an enemy or a friend, I just get full-on attacked and invariably killed pretty promptly. Cue frustration if I happened to have forgotten to save for 15 minutes.

Anyway, bit of a whinge. It's a good game as a bit of a timewaster, but there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about it.

Bloody hell that is some serious pace. I've been playing about 12 hours and currently level 17 (some use of trainers but not too much), but in terms of quests I've only just completed my first trip to High Hrothgar and only been to Whiterun and Falkreath in terms of towns. Been getting rather engrossed in the Companion quests and various other sidequests.

I spent an hour yesterday trying to find the path up to High Hrothgar, which was less than thrilling.

Have you seen the Clairvoyance spell? That will show you the route to go to reach your next objective. Must admit I found it easy enough to get up to High Hrothgar, thought it was a bit of a giveaway that they first directed you to the town at the bottom of the path, but I can see why as that's certainly not the route I would have picked.

I usually play dual-wielding assassin style characters, but I find that near impossible without the ability to block since there's no dexterity/dodge element.

I agree - I briefly tried dual-wielding (with a warrior) but gave up as it's just not practical. Also annoyingly wasted one of my perks on it.

The 'skill gain' is a little false, since it's really just a method to allow the spending of perks which is the only real measure of progression in a skill (since a smith with 100 smithing skill will still only be able to work on basic iron without spending perks).

I see what you mean, that's certainly true for the majority of non-combat skills. However I like that it works this way - it gives me control over the build of my character, rather than getting better at alchemy when I level up just because I happen to have made a bit of money on the side doing it and messing up the combat-effectiveness of my character.

I also find it irritating, for a game that has been so lauded for it's flexibility and exploration, that I can still approach a building and - rather than get a warning so I can ascertain whether or not someone is an enemy or a friend, I just get full-on attacked and invariably killed pretty promptly. Cue frustration if I happened to have forgotten to save for 15 minutes.

Again, agree with this. I've no idea why they decided to show enemy characters on the radar but not friendly ones.

I feel slightly sorry for anyone that's bought this on console - in my experience some of the best parts of previous games have been added through unofficial mods, and I'm sure that there will be mods to fix all of the issues raised above as soon as the Creation Kit comes out. I've already installed a couple which improve some of the base textures.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I have played around 30 hours so far and level 14. But that is probably because after I had reached Whiterun and completed a few quests there I decided to take a walk around the map to each city/town. I have barely touched the main quest and haven't gone to see the Greybeards yet. I always end up as a archer, I use sneak a lot as its very effective in taking people out from distance quickly. Solitude is a fantastic setting. Some parts of Skyrim look stunning. There are few little niggly things that annoy me about it like its seems easier to take down a Dragon than defeat some of the lesser creatures. Other than that I am loving it.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Have you seen the Clairvoyance spell? That will show you the route to go to reach your next objective. Must admit I found it easy enough to get up to High Hrothgar, thought it was a bit of a giveaway that they first directed you to the town at the bottom of the path, but I can see why as that's certainly not the route I would have picked.

That's partly where my confusion came. I got up to the little village at the base of the steps, where there was a quest marker. However, when I then looked at the map - the marker had disappeared, so I suddenly wasn't sure whether I was in the right place or if I'd imagined a quest marker being there previously. A bit of wandering around and people in the Inn spoke about the steps up there. Once I'd got to the village, it was OK. It was getting to that village in the first place which proved to be a bit of a nightmare since the correct pathway was some 15 minutes previous at the bottom of the lake. Just seemed like guesswork although, in fairness, I did remember that Clairvoyance spell whilst writing my last post - so I imagine that might've helped a great deal.

So far, since the dual-wielding assassin doesn't seem plausible, I'm going with a sneaky archer (main perks investment going on on sneak and archery so far) and - since archery seems accurate 100% of the time from distance - I'm managing to pick off most people before they know I'm there. When combat arises, I've got my hide shield and a selection of one-handed orcish weapons.

Also disappointed that poison is a one-hit wonder. Most previous game experience suggests that poison lasts X minutes. It seems pointless to work on alchemy to produce poisons when they're used up instantly in a single hit.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Not sure how many hours I've put in, but it's a lot, and I'm only Level 10. Not sure where I'm going wrong there. I've not done many of the side missions but have concentrated on the Dark Brotherhood recently.

Didn't bother with magic and spells in Oblivion but decided to give it more of a go in Skyrim and have enrolled in the College to give it a whirl. I much prefer just attacking people with my sword and shield.

Regarding the comments about finding the path to High Hrothgar, I quite like that the game doesn't guide you step by step there and you have to wander/explore a bit to find the way. And as above the Clairvoyance spell is there if you get really stuck but so far I haven't needed it.

I'm playing a warrior this time through, but once I've completed a decent portion of the game (certainly including the MQ and the civil war) I will re-start with a completely different character, likely magic-based.

One thing I have found a bit odd is the difficulty. I'm playing on default difficulty, and have generally found little problem swatting myself through dungeons (using sword and shield) either with a follower or on my own. However every so often I will come across one very difficult opponent - while some of these are understandable (I got too close to a giant and he made mincemeat of me) some are very odd. For example I was going through a (quest-related) dungeon, killing off the baddies with ease, and then came to the 'boss', simply described as '[faction] leader' and it took me at least half a dozen attempts to kill him (i.e. he killed me first on 5 occasions), and practically every hit from him that I blocked was leveling up my block skill (admittedly from the relatively low base of 20-odd), I literally levelled twice just in the one fight with him.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Playing a dual wielding assassin is easy if you max out your sneak. x15 Damage back stabs? I'm single hit killing dragons rofl!!!

Yeah, my sneak is high enough to get that perk now.. but the moment that you get into face-to-face combat, and with no potential to dodge attacks based on dexterity, there's just no defence whatsoever. Cue a quick weapon swap to bring out the shield..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here