Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skyrim

Not going to do the Companions, will probably end up starting a new game and doing that one as well as going down the opposite route for the Civil War

Yes, that was my initial plan for the Mages' College (to do it with a new suitably-skilled character) but I couldn't bring myself to start over.

There's a church in Riften, Temple of Mara I think it is. Go in there and speak to someone (can't remember their name) and you can buy an amulet for 200 coins, when you wear that amulet it announces "you're looking for marriage" and an option will come up in conversations with some people about getting married.

I should add that the only useful thing to getting married is that your spouse then becomes a merchant (available in your own home) that you can trade with.

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else end up with hideous amounts of gold? At last count I had about 260k gold pieces, and nothing to spend it on (the first skill I got to 100 was smithing so no need to buy armour or weapons).

On reflection, my overall view is that the game is vast improvement on Oblivion in pretty much every way. The level-scaling is less obvious (although still detectable from time to time), the writing is generally better (although I must confess I thought that the ending of the main quest was a bit of a damp squib, probably because my character was overpowered by that point, about level 25) and the whole game (and the characters) feel more organic.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I should add that the only useful thing to getting married is that your spouse then becomes a merchant (available in your own home) that you can trade with.

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else end up with hideous amounts of gold? At last count I had about 260k gold pieces, and nothing to spend it on (the first skill I got to 100 was smithing so no need to buy armour or weapons).

On reflection, my overall view is that the game is vast improvement on Oblivion in pretty much every way. The level-scaling is less obvious (although still detectable from time to time), the writing is generally better (although I must confess I thought that the ending of the main quest was a bit of a damp squib, probably because my character was overpowered by that point, about level 25) and the whole game (and the characters) feel more organic.

Yeah marriage does seem a stange inclusion.

I have about 50k at the moment. I have stopped looting expensive weapons to sell now though. I have fully upgraded my 3 homes and don't really have much else to spend it on, occasionally some soul gems but that's about it. Money has never really been an issue which is a shame.

Oblivion was good, but I got sick to death of doing the Oblivion Gates! Have found my character to be slightly over powered at times but not too bad. Might up the difficulty level on my next go and impose a few rules on myself limiting how much I can carry more than the game itself does

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yeah marriage does seem a stange inclusion.

I have about 50k at the moment. I have stopped looting expensive weapons to sell now though. I have fully upgraded my 3 homes and don't really have much else to spend it on, occasionally some soul gems but that's about it. Money has never really been an issue which is a shame.

Oblivion was good, but I got sick to death of doing the Oblivion Gates! Have found my character to be slightly over powered at times but not too bad. Might up the difficulty level on my next go and impose a few rules on myself limiting how much I can carry more than the game itself does

I hate the fact that they've tacked on romance to RPG's now. I know it has been going on for a while, and its not bad per se from storytelling point of view but some of the writing is so cringeworthy. Bioware are the worst at this though (see Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect). Yeah, have sex with that busty blue alien babe. f*** sake.

I hate the fact that they've tacked on romance to RPG's now. I know it has been going on for a while, and its not bad per se from storytelling point of view but some of the writing is so cringeworthy. Bioware are the worst at this though (see Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect). Yeah, have sex with that busty blue alien babe. f*** sake.

I agree to a point, but I think it can be done well, and enhance the story. Some of the Bioware dialogue is terrible, and the romance scenes in Dragon Age 1 are the most hilarious thing I've ever seen, but at least the relationships in ME1 meant something, in that they impacted the story (even if only in small ways) in ME2. Bioware do the whole relationship thing (as in friendship as well as romance) a hell of a lot better than Skyrim's effort. In Skyrim, you can propose to someone once you've done a mini-quest for them (i.e. have spoken to them twice) and, after the ceremony, the only difference is that you have a merchant in your house. No quest-related dialogue, no comments from others, there's no impact at all.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
I bought this game for about £20 from gamestation in early December, played it once and just couldn't get into it whatsoever. However this last week I've gave it another go and I'm now completely addicted to it. I'm on the 360 and I think I'm going to try and get all the achievements for it like I did on Fallout 3. Currently level 28 and done barely any of the main quest so sill a lot more to go :)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I bought this game for about £20 from gamestation in early December, played it once and just couldn't get into it whatsoever. However this last week I've gave it another go and I'm now completely addicted to it. I'm on the 360 and I think I'm going to try and get all the achievements for it like I did on Fallout 3. Currently level 28 and done barely any of the main quest so sill a lot more to go :)

I was the same, then actually started exploring. I've completed the main quests, but done like 10% of the sub-quests. I must say, joining the Legion is pretty fun though.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
:flameboun

So who's still going on Skyrim?

My PS3 had an uncharacteristic hard drive failure about a month ago and lost ALL my saved games. I'd devoted about 60 hours to Skyrim so was pretty pissed off that it was all gone and have been debating about whether to simply start again.

Well the time has come, I'm giving it another go from fresh. It's seriously daunting though, knowing how big it is and that you have to go through so much of it that you know all over again. All those conversations I had to sit through just to get a tiny bit of useful information, I have to sit through again.

BUT of course it does give me the opportunity to alter my character and make different choices to those I did before.

This time round I've gone for a Wood Elf as I found I liked using the bow most in my previous game and I love the stealth stuff like assassinations and thievery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here