Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singing bye bye Ashley Ashley Barnes...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
We're u at the game? Read some if the posts here and u might be reminded of CMS and Orlandi ..but u seem to hav conveniently forgotten them old chap
Just as you have conveniently forgot to answer this post old chap

Name me one player who missed an easier chance than a penatly, an open goal when the keeper was laying on the floor, and being clean through and slicing it into the crowd with his weak foot, when he had all the time in the world, and I might agree with you Jamie.

Yes, other missed chances. But go on. Name one chance easier than the three I have mentioned for you.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If NSC was around in the dark days of Belltwati and Archer, they probably wouldn't have had a bad word said against those clowns either.

Oh so because people dont ferociously slag off a player - they instantly like Bellotti and Archer ? Probably the most f***ing pathetic post on NSC of the day so far - and theres been a lot of shit ones.

Oh and im not currently a Barnes fan, just so you know. Ill say it again that he needs dropping for a few games and that Hoskins (for Bristol) and Dobbie (for Palace if Hoskins isnt brilliant against Bristol) need to come in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I'm the only NSCer who has been ambivalent about Barnes.
Until about a month ago, when I began questioning why his position isn't rotated.
Spanish Dave, Orlandi (at the time), Dobbie, KLL, gives enough choice to look at someone else.

Orlandi has gone on to prove what kind of impact you can have when you have some games under the belt.

Now though were in the situation where someone will come into that spot, and will need some time to make it work.

That should have been dealt with a while ago.

Oh so because people dont ferociously slag off a player - they instantly like Bellotti and Archer ? Probably the most f***ing pathetic post on NSC of the day so far - and theres been a lot of shit ones.

Oh and im not currently a Barnes fan, just so you know. Ill say it again that he needs dropping for a few games and that Hoskins (for Bristol) and Dobbie (for Palace if Hoskins isnt brilliant against Bristol) need to come in.

I dont really think he meant it that literally...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Christ has Ashley Barnes signed up a load of his family and friends to post on here. No matter how utterly FAECES he is people still support him. HOW can Dobbie have been dropped for him? Barnes plays the most useless role I have ever seen an Albion player in all my life. Yes he tracks back and defends but for christ sake when he get on the ball in those wide areas what an utter waste of space he is. Im totally sick of people trying to justify this "total football" role he plays. I for one just do not see what on earth he does in that position. We are in the CHAMPIONSHIP!! It isnt really that much at this level to ask another player to track back, keep the ball moving.. play it SIMPLE like Barnes supposedly does.

The lad is a STRIKER. When he scores he is in a central position. There is absolutely no need for him to be in that position and when you have Dobbie, Lopez on the bench and Lua Lua not even in the squad sometimes it is a joke. I try occasionally to stick up for him but for god sake he was utterly woeful today. And why people feel the need to compare him to CMS, our top goalscorer I have no idea. All this and he decides to pick the ball up and take a penalty. For god sake drop him.
You will notice, teh same people that support blindly support Ashley Barnes, will also not have a negative word said about anything Brighton & Hove Albion.

If NSC was around in the dark days of Belltwati and Archer, they probably wouldn't have had a bad word said against those clowns either.

Seriously, anyone who thinks Barnes, belongs in the same squad let alone team as the likes of Kusczazak, Bridge, Bruno, Bridcutt, Buckley, CMS, Dobbie, Hoskins, really need to have a serious word with themselves.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
As mentioned by Wilko, its not so much that Barnes is bad (he's not great, but neither is he is awful) its that Hoskins and Dobbie are both MILES better. Gus will still be playing Barnes if we make the Premiership... its getting beyond a joke now.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
We were still 1-0 up and defending comfortably when he went off. Even if he wasn't on his game his presence seemed to be important because we seemed to sit much deeper without him, and were a bit more scrappy defending without him.

I thought he had some good moments, but also some moments where people were desperate to criticise him before he'd even done anything wrong (for example, early first half he played a ball to orlandi (or maybe hammond) and a bolton player came through orlandi conceding a foul but had the ball and was about to get away before the whistle went but fans around me had already started criticising barnes as if he'd played a poor pass). There seemed to be a few moments throughout the match where people were desperate to be the first to complain and so were complaining needlessly because what they thought was a mistake was actually a good move (and not just with Barnes).

I thought we were very lucky to get the goal - Barnes appeared to me to have handled the ball as he broke and played the ball to CMS, who won a very soft free kick that bolton have every right to feel aggrieved at and we scored from that free kick.

I didn't think Barnes was as bad as hammond. Hammond seemed like someone who is seeing their contract out, his balls rarely if ever got past the first man.

I expected Barnes to get criticised since his penalty was saved, he hit the bar, screwed a shot wide, but I didn't think his performance was as bad as people are saying on this thread (and that's even adjusting for those that always criticise him). He had some good touches that put other players into threatening positions, and as mentioned above, we were more comfortable in defence with him on.

Even if his performance was worse than I noted, it still wasn't him (or at least, him alone) that cost us two points. Orlandi hit the bar a couple of times, Barnes wasn't on the pitch when we conceded, he wasn't time wasting in injury time causing the ref to add more time on, and I also think Bogdan deserves some credit for a string of great saves.

I watched the game as well.
Barnes was, frankly embarrassing today & Hammond didn't do much wrong IMO.

I cannot believe some people are having a pop at CMS as a way of defending Barnes.
CMS did nothing wrong and his work rate and speed are without question. I.e. he worries defenders, even when he is not on top of his game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I'm the only NSCer who has been ambivalent about Barnes.
Until about a month ago, when I began questioning why his position isn't rotated.
Spanish Dave, Orlandi (at the time), Dobbie, KLL, gives enough choice to look at someone else.

Orlandi has gone on to prove what kind of impact you can have when you have some games under the belt.

Now though were in the situation where someone will come into that spot, and will need some time to make it work.

That should have been dealt with a while ago.

I think Poyet was prepared to, with Dobbie finding his footing in the team, Lopez starting to look like he is, too, he dropped Barnes for the Wolves game. But that was the game Bridge got injured in and since then the back up left back has been playing.

When Bridge is fit, I expect the rotation to start again, but KLL had a chance and his recent performance from the start was not good, Dobbie is not defensive enough to support Painter (who probably needs the support more than Bridge).

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Barnes needs to be dropped, we have Dobbie, KLL, Spanish Dave and Hoskins who would all fill his position but the manager is the one who keeps playing him, can't blame Ashley for that

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched the game as well.
Barnes was, frankly embarrassing today & Hammond didn't do much wrong IMO.

I cannot believe some people are having a pop at CMS as a way of defending Barnes.
CMS did nothing wrong and his work rate and speed are without question. I.e. he worries defenders, even when he is not on top of his game.

Hammond's crossing was very poor, never getting past the first man, and his general demeanour showed little desire to do anything to affect the game.

I don't think people are pointing to CMS to defend Barnes so much as to highlight the double standards being applied, where they each make same/similar mistakes, but only one is constantly being slaughtered for it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Poyet was prepared to, with Dobbie finding his footing in the team, Lopez starting to look like he is, too, he dropped Barnes for the Wolves game. But that was the game Bridge got injured in and since then the back up left back has been playing.

When Bridge is fit, I expect the rotation to start again, but KLL had a chance and his recent performance from the start was not good, Dobbie is not defensive enough to support Painter (who probably needs the support more than Bridge).
Yeah probably right.
I was coming on here to underline this very point as made by El Pres, elsewhere.

Poor old Paints, or should that be Pants, (heavy breathing, not shite) he doesn't exactly motor in either direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here