[Albion] Should TB sack Potter?

Should TB sack GP

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
13th position over the season.

Can't help thinking fans of other clubs will be having a look at this and a jolly good laugh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks for the condescending and self evident post.

I'm fairly sure we knew all that. The question, then, is why does Tony Bloom not understand it? Or, when he talks about regular top ten finishes, is he actually talking about the year 2030? Or is it just PR spin to get more season ticket sales and calm the natives.

Actually, let's just put that aside. I find the Premier League astonishingly boring precisely for the reasons you highlight. So paying a King's ransom to watch us finish 16th ish on 40 points ish for every remaining existential season is an actual purgatory. If that's the future we'll lose fans the way Katie Price loses her knickers. And if the alternative is seeing my club also being taken over by state sponsored blood money, well, that's worse.

Perhaps the European Super League wasn't such a bad idea after all. At least the rest of us could then have a reasonable competition between ourselves, just so long as someone on high sanctioned the Saudis as well, instead of selling them the planes that bomb Yemeni hospitals.

I totally agree with this. I don't think I would have a season ticket if back in the UK, I have a couple of mates who go and see Whitehawk more frequently than Brighton. I think I would join them to be honest. The Premier League is ****ing dull and with such an unlevel playing field not much fun for the smaller clubs. Money has all but ruined football and it takes increasing effort to look the other way in order to enjoy watching on the TV.

I think the European Super League would have been a good idea if those that remained in their leagues took the opportunity to improve the philosophy of the sport. I continue to find it staggering that with so much money in and around the sport clubs are still charging enormous prices on the gate, running at a loss and even going out of business. It is rotten, unless you are Ronaldo and picking up 500,000 a week.

500,000 a week for something that many of the players would probably do for free (if they had never known the sums currently offered).

Aussie rules has a draft system and salary cap which means that if clubs are well run they can challenge for honours every so often. It keeps things even and means that supporters always have hope that with some luck and good recruiting their team can be competitive. It's not perfect but there is a lot of merit in the system.

Still, none of this is going to happen so we are where we are.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why sack GP, when he's got us playing some of the best football i've seen us play in years.
Ok, we're not scoring goals as much as I'd like, but I'm not kidding myself, we're in the big boys league now, so we have to man up and get on with it, with the best man, we have for the job....... GP :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No I’m not, you EXPECT improvement and spend most of the time moaning when it isn’t happening, that’s entitled to me. You call it what you like but you’ll be disappointed more often than not. We are Brighton not some cash rich splash the cash club. Improvements are going to be very slow, which is exactly what they’ve been with more steps backwards than forwards.

If we've had more steps backwards than forwards then we've gone backwards :shrug:

The bottom line is that the club PR doesn't match where we are. Perhaps we need to start playing on the "wholesome family owned club pulling way above its weight already" instead of the "best run club in England, next stop top ten and Europe".

It's like when Paul Barber got regularly hung for saying "Premier League Ready". It doesn't matter if he only said it once and meant in five years time, people remember this shit. I expect any organisation, company, charity or football club to deliver on their marketing message,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
13th position over the season.

Can't help thinking fans of other clubs will be having a look at this and a jolly good laugh.

It's not where we'll finish at the end of the season if this awful form continues. We cannot score!

13th would be very decent and up there with the best ever club finish, playing better football. But at the moment Potter's team look like Hughton's in his last weeks.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If we've had more steps backwards than forwards then we've gone backwards :shrug:

The bottom line is that the club PR doesn't match where we are. Perhaps we need to start playing on the "wholesome family owned club pulling way above its weight already" instead of the "best run club in England, next stop top ten and Europe".

It's like when Paul Barber got regularly hung for saying "Premier League Ready". It doesn't matter if he only said it once and meant in five years time, people remember this shit. I expect any organisation, company, charity or football club to deliver on their marketing message,

I've just heard Geelong* refered to as a 'cultural and coastal paradise' by real estate agents. I love the place, its a great place to live but I am sure @TyromeBiggums and @BuffaloSeagulll will agree that this is several steps too far.

I refer you to Public Enemy in this matter "Don't believe the hype"

* For reference if you ever drove from Melbourne to the Great Ocean Road you would have driven through at big industrial looking town and thought "what the **** is this place? This is a bit shit" (It's better than that but you get my meaning). That was Geelong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I totally agree with this. I don't think I would have a season ticket if back in the UK, I have a couple of mates who go and see Whitehawk more frequently than Brighton. I think I would join them to be honest. The Premier League is ****ing dull and with such an unlevel playing field not much fun for the smaller clubs. Money has all but ruined football and it takes increasing effort to look the other way in order to enjoy watching on the TV.

I think the European Super League would have been a good idea if those that remained in their leagues took the opportunity to improve the philosophy of the sport. I continue to find it staggering that with so much money in and around the sport clubs are still charging enormous prices on the gate, running at a loss and even going out of business. It is rotten, unless you are Ronaldo and picking up 500,000 a week.

500,000 a week for something that many of the players would probably do for free (if they had never known the sums currently offered).

Aussie rules has a draft system and salary cap which means that if clubs are well run they can challenge for honours every so often. It keeps things even and means that supporters always have hope that with some luck and good recruiting their team can be competitive. It's not perfect but there is a lot of merit in the system.

Still, none of this is going to happen so we are where we are.

We saw some Whitehawk fans on the train back from Falmer yesterday. They looked happy*.

*Well, three of them were ladies so they did before my mate started having a rant about the mums at his daughter's club who want women players to be paid equally but won't go out on a wet Sunday morning and watch their own daughter. He then followed that up with a rant about the ubiquity and poor quality of Stone Island with an SI clad scouser right behind him. Genuinely that train journey and the pub session that followed it were the highlight of my day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've just heard Geelong* refered to as a 'cultural and coastal paradise' by real estate agents. I love the place, its a great place to live but I am sure @TyromeBiggums and @BuffaloSeagulll will agree that this is several steps too far.

I refer you to Public Enemy in this matter "Don't believe the hype"

* For reference if you ever drove from Melbourne to the Great Ocean Road you would have driven through at big industrial looking town and thought "what the **** is this place? This is a bit shit" (It's better than that but you get my meaning). That was Geelong.

:lolol:

Top advice, and a couple of tracks on this afternoon's roast cooking playlist sorted :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

It doesn’t, good post.

Have to say, I’m very much Potter in……..but for goodness sake, stop pushing the top 10 rhetoric unless you’re prepared to break the wage structure and splash £40m - £50m on one player (a forward), who is effectively going to support all of the great play prior to the 18 yard box.

If I was GP I’d be quite frustrated.

Sorry [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] but can’t stand these threads, because of course he shouldn’t be sacked…..

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He’s more likely to get poached than sacked. He deals with everything well. He doesn’t score goals and the structure of the club won’t allow him the extravagance of a £100m strike force. Whatever anyone says, we do have the best team we have ever had and probably the best coach. I agree that we are perceived as punching above out weight and, to be honest, we are, in our comparatively small ground and budget. Unless silly money is invested in the club we can only enjoy the unexpected, rather than demand the club is higher in the league and wins pots. The only way that will happen is if TB sells out to some overseas consortium. I know what I would prefer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It doesn’t, good post.

Have to say, I’m very much Potter in……..but for goodness sake, stop pushing the top 10 rhetoric unless you’re prepared to break the wage structure and splash £40m - £50m on one player (a forward), who is effectively going to support all of the great play prior to the 18 yard box.

If I was GP I’d be quite frustrated.

Sorry [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] but can’t stand these threads, because of course he shouldn’t be sacked…..

Does it break the wage structure?

I'm pretty sure there are no 'must be on the highest wage' contracts in the squad.
Although clearly Dunk has something close to that, but even he must know he's milked that dry.

It's not even splashing the cash.
Last window it would have been 'taking the Ben White money and spending it on Brian Brown'.

How much more value do Flair Hair & The Lamp have with 5 assists each?
Does Biss' form (value) drop off a cliff if he's constantly on the back foot?
Is Webster an international if his team are scoring more than conceding?
Oh, oh, this is a good one
Is every goalkeeper mistake pawed over because we know it's absolutely crucial?
(Just like the lil fella before)

Trying to be too clever is costing the club (Mr Bloom) more money than its saving.
Although I guess he's saving a future in win and clean sheet bonuses.

As it stands the club are future proofing a building made of straw while, more by luck than judgement, the big bad relegation wolf has only huffed but not puffed.

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Need to bring in an attacking coach to the back room staff. Everyone including potter is a former defender.

And people are surprised that the players look clueless beyond the half way line.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We need variation in the squad.

Too many players who want to play the same way and occupy the same space. Need a midfielder who can run with the ball and a striker who is always on the last defenders shoulder.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes. If he can’t improve on last year’s showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Need to bring in an attacking coach to the back room staff. Everyone including potter is a former defender.

And people are surprised that the players look clueless beyond the half way line.

I’ve suggested this on previous threads but been told that’s not how the game works and I understand nothing.

In a way I agree with my critics. Attack is a mentality that starts at the back.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We need variation in the squad.

Too many players who want to play the same way and occupy the same space. Need a midfielder who can run with the ball and a striker who is always on the last defenders shoulder.

Which is why Webster and Burn were quite interesting. They were prepared to bring the ball out of defence. We’ve gone back to just passing it around the back 4.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was told by a board member at the pre covid Palace home game that under no circumstances would Tony Bloom consider sacking GP, even if relegation occurred, I don’t think that has changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here