[Albion] Should TB sack Potter?

Should TB sack GP

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m guessing most fans don’t have the structure in place to study manager performances across the world. It’s similar to well what striker would you get then? Both silly questions.

Not nearly as silly as you Ashworth post :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it wouldn’t matter if we lost every home game ,if we picked up 40 points away and survived.

I think quite a few are taking the top 10 objective too literally and had their heads turn this season when there was an outside chance.

Long term progression and patience is needed

Well I agree with you.

I have been gently inquiring with the Potter-out contingent what they think should happen.

Apparently this is a 'silly question' :facepalm:

:thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do you switch the radio and TV off when anyone other than Potter gives a view about the Albion?

All I'm saying is that given the choice between making fair comment about how difficult Brighton can be to play, and contributing to a conspiracy to keep a weak opponent in his job, after listening to what Klopp said my money is on the former.

And of course you are most welcome to ignore his opinions, and ignore my comments about them. :shrug:

I take the opinions of anyone with a vested interest with a pinch of salt. Gary Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Alan Shearer etc. don’t have any sort of vested interest in whether we keep or ditch Potter. An opposition manager, however, does. Particularly if he has sussed a way of playing against that manager’s style and he knows the manager won’t change it. Let’s be honest, Liverpool barely had to get out of second gear yesterday to beat us, and could even take Sarah off after an hour. That’s music to Klopp’s ears. Would he like the same again next season? What do you think?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it wouldn’t matter if we lost every home game ,if we picked up 40 points away and survived.

I think quite a few are taking the top 10 objective too literally and had their heads turn this season when there was an outside chance.

Long term progression and patience is needed

Always this. Too many fans seem to demand instant results, the Albion is very much a work in progress. It's the only way for a club such as ours to achieve any long term success.

Long may it continue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I take the opinions of anyone with a vested interest with a pinch of salt. Gary Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Alan Shearer etc. don’t have any sort of vested interest in whether we keep or ditch Potter. An opposition manager, however, does. Particularly if he has sussed a way of playing against that manager’s style and he knows the manager won’t change it. Let’s be honest, Liverpool barely had to get out of second gear yesterday to beat us, and could even take Sarah off after an hour. That’s music to Klopp’s ears. Would he like the same again next season? What do you think?

We are normally on the same page but not on this occasion.

I believe that Klopp genuinely admires our 'way', and that his comments are not part of a conspiracy to keep Potter in a job. I don't recall Klopp praising other shit clubs in the lower reaches of the league. Also, given that we nearly damaged his new star player, if I'd been Klopp yesterday I'd have been a bit pissy, frankly.

I also think that Liverpool didn't get into second gear yesterday because we didn't let them.

Anyway, never mind; we shall never know the motives of Klopp - no more can we know the motives of anyone without evidence to link a definitive outcome to the events that led up to it.

:thumbsup:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Thanks for the condescending and self evident post.

I'm fairly sure we knew all that. The question, then, is why does Tony Bloom not understand it? Or, when he talks about regular top ten finishes, is he actually talking about the year 2030? Or is it just PR spin to get more season ticket sales and calm the natives.

Actually, let's just put that aside. I find the Premier League astonishingly boring precisely for the reasons you highlight. So paying a King's ransom to watch us finish 16th ish on 40 points ish for every remaining existential season is an actual purgatory. If that's the future we'll lose fans the way Katie Price loses her knickers. And if the alternative is seeing my club also being taken over by state sponsored blood money, well, that's worse.

Perhaps the European Super League wasn't such a bad idea after all. At least the rest of us could then have a reasonable competition between ourselves, just so long as someone on high sanctioned the Saudis as well, instead of selling them the planes that bomb Yemeni hospitals.

Most of the teams in the PL are like us, never likely to finish top four often in danger of relegation or just always mid table. The only exception that comes to mind is Leicester.

Unless you have any stats to suggest it, I don't see any team like us losing fans in the medium or long term so why do you think we will? Of course some fans will get bored or drop out but others will replace them. That's life.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
That question has crossed my mind too. Sanchez also seems very unsure how to distribute the ball too, does he throw or roll it out to one of his defenders? or take the easy route and simply kick it long.

Exactly … what has changed ?

In my humble opinion it’s about the absence (AFCON) and then poor form of Biss coupled with the injuries/suspensions and sale of our CB’s.

Biss gave that security that Webster/Burn/Veltman/Dunk and last season White could drive with the ball from the back and he would provide the cover for them with his ability to win the ball back and shield the remaining defenders. This would create space for us and allow players like Lamptey/Cucurella and Tross to make things happen.

Couple that with Dunk and Webster missing games and Burn being sold and the core of our side which not only is a key to how we play have other players confidence to be brave and play with some risk has been effected.

Players look like they are playing within themselves and trying to mitigate risk rather than be bold and look to be progressive, and with each passing result they are going more and more into their shell scared to make a mistake … which inevitably means making a mistake and losing games of football.

Potter and this team have not become poor overnight (rather like they aren’t a top 8 side either) and the truth lies somewhere in the middle…. We weren’t quite a good as our position suggested but we also aren’t as bad as our current form suggests either.

More important than the result on Weds is some of our key senior and important players having a good game …. When Biss isn’t playing well and Trossard is ineffective some of the other players look lost as we rely on them heavily.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
well we will soon be three years into the six year "project" re length of contract that GP has

ten goals at home so far - 20% was Leicester at home that I managed to see - Watford at home must have been another 20% - so half of all home goals this season in three games

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Always this. Too many fans seem to demand instant results, the Albion is very much a work in progress. It's the only way for a club such as ours to achieve any long term success.

Long may it continue.

Possibly linked to their tenure as Albion fans, many (not all) have no idea of the struggles beyond the last decade

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He was head of recruitment. Therefore, yes, he was instrumental in recruiting Burn for us, and obviously instrumental in recruiting Burn for Newcastle (despite being on 'gardening leave') and this one fact is responsible for our decline and Newcastle's renaissance.

Dreadful, dreadful mistake on our part.

Maybe and worth debating but Ashworth connection is a red herring. .

Wooshed - ha!

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Back him with cash to spend and give him one more season. If it's the same old shite then he must go.

There is no logic to sacking Potter without knowing what his teams could do with better forwards.

Personally I've got to a point where I don't go to the Amex with any expectation of seeing us win, or even score. I just hope that we don't lose, which probably means a 0-0.

As I've said so many times before that even I'm bored with it, we are too laboured in our build-up and teams are happy to let us keep playing the ball back, sideways and out to the wings, knowing that crosses will be delayed until every defender is back and in position. Then, when we're fiddling around near the corner of their penalty area, they hit us on the break.

But I don't think Potter has been given the players to do anything different. And until he is, it's unfair to judge him.

Personally, I'd defend for all we're worth to try to get at least a point in every game, play Welbeck up front instead of Maupay and hit the ball over the top for him to run onto. So just be glad that GP is in charge and not me.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
well we will soon be three years into the six year "project" re length of contract that GP has

ten goals at home so far - 20% was Leicester at home that I managed to see - Watford at home must have been another 20% - so half of all home goals this season in three games

Two against Brentford on Boxing Day

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe and worth debating but Ashworth connection is a red herring. . Dan Burn signed for Albion in August 2018, Ashworth didn’t start work for Brighton until Mar 2019. And Barber looked after the Newcastle sale as Ashworth was on gardening leave. (I know you’re not 100% convinced that leave means leave - but there you go).

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1269259/burn-signed-from-wigan

Football Association technical director Dan Ashworth to join Brighton https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45649768

I was mocking the post by 'Justice'. Sorry for whooshing you :wink: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably :lolol: One thing about Ashworth what happened to all the high profile applicants that emailed in hours after Ashworth left? I love the club but they do spin some bollocks.

Nobody should ever let a fact get in the way of a well-crafted narative :wink: :thumbsup:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There is no logic to sacking Potter without knowing what his teams could do with better forwards.

Personally I've got to a point where I don't go to the Amex with any expectation of seeing us win, or even score. I just hope that we don't lose, which probably means a 0-0.

As I've said so many times before that even I'm bored with it, we are too laboured in our build-up and teams are happy to let us keep playing the ball back, sideways and out to the wings, knowing that crosses will be delayed until every defender is back and in position. Then, when we're fiddling around near the corner of their penalty area, they hit us on the break.

But I don't think Potter has been given the players to do anything different. And until he is, it's unfair to judge him.

Personally, I'd defend for all we're worth to try to get at least a point in every game, play Welbeck up front instead of Maupay and hit the ball over the top for him to run onto. So just be glad that GP is in charge and not me.
If Potter doesn’t have the tools then what the feck did CH have? Interesting fact CH wanted to sign Luiz Diaz in the summer unfortunately he got sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here