Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shit Towns

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Not really towns but Ponders End and Enfield Lock take some beating in my neck of the woods

Other candidates include:
- Corby
- Taunton
- Harlow
- Wheeling, West Virginia
- Newark, New Jersey
- Peacehaven
- Stratford... the showpiece of London's Olympic bid :laugh:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Newark, yes, real shithole, destroyed by corruption and organised crime.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Sergi Gotsmanov said:
The Theives Kitchen late 80's.

Bloody fantastic

i used to go there then.Worthing was a good night out and there was very little trouble.Not that many pubs but most of them were good.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
In response to the fact that this started because of a book about shit towns, I wonder if it was the same book that we sold in Asda before x-mas called The UK's 50 Crap Towns. I was surprised to learn that Brighton was included, but my home town of St.Austell (shithole) was amazinly missed out!!! :nono:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Caveman said:
Basically places where there is not a trace of an English person for miles. Every shop, restaurant and person is foreign and you are looked upon as scum. But hey that cosmopolitan Britain I guess.....

So you don't like Brighton then?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Juan Albion said:
BTW, this is the crappiest place on earth. It is built in the middle of the garbage dump and the residents get their food and everything they need from the garbage. They have a few cattle that also graze on the garbage, where they compete for anything edible with the vultures. Still, at least they don't have to watch Palarse.

You sure this is not Littlehampton on a typical Saturday Night outside the Single Mums Hostel?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Charlies Shinpad said:
Juan Albion said:
BTW, this is the crappiest place on earth. It is built in the middle of the garbage dump and the residents get their food and everything they need from the garbage. They have a few cattle that also graze on the garbage, where they compete for anything edible with the vultures. Still, at least they don't have to watch Palarse.

You sure this is not Littlehampton on a typical Saturday Night outside the Single Mums Hostel?

Yeah, I'm sure. There was no lycra or spandex.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Juan Albion said:
Croydon
Bridgewater
Stoke
Wolverhampton
Scotland
Telford
Ciudad Sandino (but they have an excuse).
Hamilton, ON (they don't)
oh, and Niagara Falls.

Hamilton? Until now I thought you were a somewhat sane person. Hamilton looked absolutely wonderful when it hosted the 2003 World cycling championships. It certainly is dragged down a few notches by having 2 steel mills but I don't think it is in the same league as dumps like Mississauga or Scarborough.

Niagara Falls town proper (downtown) is a big time dump. But for a tourist town it has a lot to offer.

Juan as far as the worst town in Ontario I think you would be hard pressed to beat Brantford. This is by far the scumiest most depressing waste of a town. Downtown at least 4 out of 5 shops are boarded up. The streets are roamed by scum. And yet the buildings themselves are wonderful. A bigger waste of a town with so much going for it would be hard to find.

:nono:

David

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
We did this recently, but Horley is my number one sh!t town. The place is small, cramped, ugly and full of depressing dark brown buildings everywhere. Just physically being in a place like that makes you want to commit suicide. I feel sorry for people who live or work there.

Littlehampton is another place dreadful place that has been more than aptly described in this thread already.

If we're going international, then Florence is a place that I am never going to visit again. The place is a real chaotic mess and it needs to have a nuclear bomb dropped on to it to be rebuilt from scratch.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
driddles said:
Hamilton? Until now I thought you were a somewhat sane person. Hamilton looked absolutely wonderful when it hosted the 2003 World cycling championships. It certainly is dragged down a few notches by having 2 steel mills but I don't think it is in the same league as dumps like Mississauga or Scarborough.

Niagara Falls town proper (downtown) is a big time dump. But for a tourist town it has a lot to offer.

Juan as far as the worst town in Ontario I think you would be hard pressed to beat Brantford. This is by far the scumiest most depressing waste of a town. Downtown at least 4 out of 5 shops are boarded up. The streets are roamed by scum. And yet the buildings themselves are wonderful. A bigger waste of a town with so much going for it would be hard to find.

"somewhat sane"? There's your first mistake!

Not been to Brantford but might be going in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what I find...

And then there is Sydney, Nova Scotia, with those beautiful tar ponds...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Crazy Cornish Gal said:
In response to the fact that this started because of a book about shit towns, I wonder if it was the same book that we sold in Asda before x-mas called The UK's 50 Crap Towns. I was surprised to learn that Brighton was included, but my home town of St.Austell (shithole) was amazinly missed out!!! :nono:

One of the entries in that Crap Towns book was by me! I wrote about Bexhill on Sea, and was pretty chuffed to see it published. Even if they did cut half of it out for space reasons.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
bhafc99 said:
One of the entries in that Crap Towns book was by me! I wrote about Bexhill on Sea, and was pretty chuffed to see it published. Even if they did cut half of it out for space reasons.

Did you post that on the original website? Because I wrote the entry for Peacehaven which didn't make the book.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've got that book and it's pants. It's got places like Hinchley Wood and Salisbury in it. Hinchley Wood? Middle-class, mildly dull, but crap? I think not. And Salisbury is a fine place.

Even the entry for Hull left a bit to be desired. Apparently the council there is useless because it "wasted" £50m on a new stadium for a crap team. I guess nobody told the 2,000 people who were taken off the dole to build the thing or who now provide services inside the ground. And wasn't that from the sale of Kingston Communications, a company the like of which only the good people of Hull had the good sense to form? Crap council my arse.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
There were certainly some suprising entries, and omissions, but a great idea for a book never the less!!!:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here